Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Question

Hi all,

Cross posted from another forum, but from what I have read there are differing opinions. Here goes:

We have decided to move out of our rented property because the landlord is trying to sell it and we would like a little more security.

Our 6 month tenancy ends on the 17th of April and I told our agents today that we would not be renewing. The agent told me that I needed a months notice even though our tenancy comes to an end on the 17th.

Surely this is nonsense? Once the 6 months is up, it's up, no? Can anyone confirm I'm free to do as I choose on the 17th, or if I really do need to pay up for another month?

Thank you all in advance

James.

Providing you move out by the last day of your tenancy, you do not have to give notice, though it's polite to let them know. Stay just one day later and you are then in a periodic tenancy and you will have to give a month's notice which will end at the end of the next monthly rental period.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
      Providing you move out by the last day of your tenancy, you do not have to give notice, though it's polite to let them know. Stay just one day later and you are then in a periodic tenancy and you will have to give a month's notice which will end at the end of the next monthly rental period.
      That's good to know, is there any official or legal document I can give to the estate agent to tell them as much or shall I just ignore attempts to claim more rent than is owed?

Comment

Your AST is your proof. Your contract states that you should move out by Xdate and if you remain it becomes periodic. By leaving on that date the periodic stage does not commence.

Make sure you get a signed reciept from the agent for keys so you can show that in court if needed. They are in the wrong.
        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X