Can LL arbitrarily remove things from our house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can LL arbitrarily remove things from our house?

    Hi all, I've been living in rented accomodation now for a couple months and still getting used to it all.

    Recently our landlord sent us an E-Mail he was going to remove the giant mirror in the hallway from our house and the next day promptly removed it.

    We all use the mirror and were quite dissapointed he did this and voiced our concern as politely as possible, but he seems to not care.

    Is he allowed to just come and take things like that?

    If so, what else is he allowed to remove, and what sort of recourse do we have against it, if any?

    Thanks all,
    X10

  • #2
    The only way he can remove stuff is if he reserved the right to do so in the tenancy agreement. Next time do not let him in. If he has a key, change the locks whatever the agreement says.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hello Lawcruncher, thanks for the response.

      The tenancy agreement does not state anything about removing anything from the communal areas.
      However, in a follow-up E-Mail LL says that as it was the family home, the tenancy agreement does not cover items in the communal areas and he reserves the right to remove such items from the house as he chooses.

      I've only been a tenant for 2 months so far, he hasn't been terrible and I don't want to cause waves if not necessary.
      I would think changing the locks on his old family home would be a bit aggressive?

      Should I maybe bring it up that it's not in the TA and therefore he should at least replace the mirror with a similar one?

      Thanks,
      X10

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by X10 View Post
        in a follow-up E-Mail LL says that as it was the family home, the tenancy agreement does not cover items in the communal areas and he reserves the right to remove such items from the house as he chooses.
        Never mind what he interprets after the event what the agreement covers; if the agreement doesn't say that then he can't claim it does afterwards!

        It can be a problem renting a property which an LL has lived in (whether or not (s)he intends to return to live there) for this sort of reason; also (s)he may well have emotional attachments to the property which wouldn't be there in an investment property.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by X10 View Post
          as it was the family home, the tenancy agreement does not cover items in the communal areas and he reserves the right to remove such items from the house as he chooses.
          I can think of a few one word responses to that. It may have been his family home, but it is your home now. When you viewed the property the mirror was there. I doubt the mirror was a clincher in your deciding to take the property, but it was still a feature of the property.

          You say you do not want to make waves and that is fair enough. However, you have a choice: make a stand now, or wait for the next occasion for him to ride roughshod over you. What next? Take out the cooker and replace it with a primus stove?

          Change the locks. It is not agressive and entirely justifiable. It is your home for the duration of the tenancy, landlord's family home or not. If he is that sentimental about it he should not be letting it.

          BE BLOODY, BOLD AND RESOLUTE

          (Lady Macbeth)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            I can think of a few one word responses to that. It may have been his family home, but it is your home now. When you viewed the property the mirror was there. I doubt the mirror was a clincher in your deciding to take the property, but it was still a feature of the property.

            You say you do not want to make waves and that is fair enough. However, you have a choice: make a stand now, or wait for the next occasion for him to ride roughshod over you. What next? Take out the cooker and replace it with a primus stove?

            Change the locks. It is not agressive and entirely justifiable. It is your home for the duration of the tenancy, landlord's family home or not. If he is that sentimental about it he should not be letting it.

            BE BLOODY, BOLD AND RESOLUTE

            (Lady Macbeth)

            We, perhaps not 'bloody', exactly. Look where that got Lady M. You wouldn't want to be wandering around in your dressing gown shrieking and endlessly washing your hands, would you?

            Otherwise I agree totally with LC. Your LL is a cad. Don't put up with it.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

            Comment


            • #7
              LL mentioned "communal areas". Do you rent the WHOLE property or, for example, a flat in a building with 3 flats & stairs & a hall?? If it is that situation does the LL not have the right to do stuff/change the "communal areas"??

              Cheers

              Artful
              I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

              Comment


              • #8
                It is a house with 4 rooms. I (and my girlfriend) rent our own room in the house with 2 other couples who also have their own rooms. The 4th room is not occupied at present.
                On our AST is states "The PROPERTY" as being specifically our room at the address.

                Does this change matters?

                X10

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by X10 View Post
                  It is a house with 4 rooms. I (and my girlfriend) rent our own room in the house with 2 other couples who also have their own rooms. The 4th room is not occupied at present.
                  On our AST is states "The PROPERTY" as being specifically our room at the address.

                  Does this change matters?

                  X10
                  Hi,

                  Yes, it might.

                  I think there are two separate issues here.

                  a) what furniture, fixtures and fittings have been provided as part of your tenancy. Ideally these should be listed in the agreement or in an inventory. If they are not, it may be difficult to work out what must stay and what the landlord is entitled to take away. If the items are in the rooms for which you have a tenancy, then the presumption that they may not be taken away is certainly stronger than if they are in a communal area. If the items were there when you were shown around the property and made your decision, then the presumption that they are for your use would be very strong. Even better if you or the landlord made it clear that all the items would be needed or would remain throughout the tenancy.

                  b) whether the landlord is allowed to let himself in to the property to take things away. The answer to this is more straightforward. He is not allowed into the rooms for which you have a tenancy without your permission. If there are items in your room which he is otherwise entitled to take away, he must make arrangements with you to do so. But he probably is allowed into communal areas which you are entitled to use, but which are not part of your tenancy.

                  So, in summary, my guess is that if the mirror was in a communal area, it is not listed in your inventory and was not mentioned during any of your discussions or negotiations with the landlord, then he may have been entitled to take it away.

                  Preston

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi Preston, thanks for the response! I have responded to some of the points you made.

                    Originally posted by Preston View Post
                    Hi,

                    Yes, it might.

                    I think there are two separate issues here.

                    a) what furniture, fixtures and fittings have been provided as part of your tenancy. Ideally these should be listed in the agreement or in an inventory.
                    Only the items in our room are on the inventory, there is no inventory of the communal areas or other tenants rooms

                    Fixtures that provide the use of gas and water are covered under the Tenancy Agreement, though no specific item is mentioned, simpy that the LL will provide and upkeep these.

                    Originally posted by Preston View Post
                    ....If the items were there when you were shown around the property and made your decision, then the presumption that they are for your use would be very strong. Even better if you or the landlord made it clear that all the items would be needed or would remain throughout the tenancy.
                    Yes, they were there when we were shown around, and my girlfriend and I made specific reference to them and asked if they were going to be part of the house when we move in and the LL said they can be if a strong desire was made so by the tenants - Which we made and so he agreed to leave them.

                    Originally posted by Preston View Post
                    b) whether the landlord is allowed to let himself in to the property to take things away. The answer to this is more straightforward. He is not allowed into the rooms for which you have a tenancy without your permission. If there are items in your room which he is otherwise entitled to take away, he must make arrangements with you to do so. But he probably is allowed into communal areas which you are entitled to use, but which are not part of your tenancy.
                    That last bit there has me a bit confused, and is on a tangent to this topic, but are the communal parts of the house not part of the tenancy??

                    Originally posted by Preston View Post
                    So, in summary, my guess is that if the mirror was in a communal area...
                    Yes

                    Originally posted by Preston View Post
                    ... it is not listed in your inventory
                    Yes (as I mentioned above, there is no inventory for the communal areas)

                    Originally posted by Preston View Post
                    ...and was not mentioned during any of your discussions or negotiations with the landlord
                    This bit we don't tally on here, as it was talked and discussed during both the viewing and the key/contract handover. We were led to believe it would be part of the house.

                    X10

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by X10 View Post
                      Yes, they were there when we were shown around, and my girlfriend and I made specific reference to them and asked if they were going to be part of the house when we move in and the LL said they can be if a strong desire was made so by the tenants - Which we made and so he agreed to leave them.X10
                      Well, it seems clear then that the landlord should not have removed the mirror.

                      Originally posted by X10 View Post
                      That last bit there has me a bit confused, and is on a tangent to this topic, but are the communal parts of the house not part of the tenancy??X10
                      Sorry, the point I was making is that a typical arrangement in a shared house is that the individuals have a tenancy of their own room or rooms and that they also have rights to use (but do not have exlusive possession of) the communal areas. This means that the landlord can reserve the right (and usually does) to enter the communal areas without your specific permission, wheereas he or she can only enter your own rooms with your permission.

                      One of he consequences of this is that you are perfectly entitled to change the locks on your own rooms, but probably not on the communal areas.

                      But you can ask your landlord to return the mirror.

                      Good luck.

                      Preston

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Preston View Post
                        Sorry, the point I was making is that a typical arrangement in a shared house ...
                        No no, don't be sorry, I am glad you mentioned it, I was just saying it was a tangent and worried that if I asked for clarification it might get lost in the thread - I'm very grateful you explained!

                        Thanks to everyone who has responded to far.
                        I'm getting everyone's final opinion on the matter, but it seems most people in the house don't want to upset the landlord and get his back up about the mirror. I think it might set a bad precedent for the future, but I'm not going to make waves if no one else will.

                        It's been very interesting getting to understand the rights we have and don't have and the grey areas, even if just surrounding a mirror.

                        Thanks again to all!

                        X10

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I can understand that you don't wish to 'make waves', but if nobody objects when he removes things from the communal areas, what's to stop him systematically dismantling the kitchen? Or the bathroom?

                          I do feel that, if nothing else, you should write to him (it does not have to be on behalf of everyone, just yourselves), saying that you feel he has deceived you over the property, since the impression/promise was given when you viewed the house, that what you saw was what you got.

                          Your only other recourse is to move out as soon as you legally can.

                          Miserable sod! Let's hope the mirror cracks when he looks in it.
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                          Comment

                          Latest Activity

                          Collapse

                          • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                            MrShed
                            I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

                            I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                            20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                          • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                            jpkeates
                            We can trade with anyone.
                            What matters is the terms we trade on.

                            Currently we're beyond screwed.
                            I wanted more for my children than being a pale version of a comic relief video....
                            20-07-2017, 20:31 PM
                          • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                            JK0
                            Happy days! We can trade with the EU after Brexit then!...
                            20-07-2017, 20:24 PM
                          • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                            jpkeates
                            That's two questions.

                            First, no.
                            Second, no.

                            The EU trades with China on the basis that no personal data is migrated, same as the USA....
                            20-07-2017, 20:23 PM
                          • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                            JK0
                            ...
                            20-07-2017, 20:17 PM
                          • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                            JK0
                            So the EU requires anyone it trades with at the moment to comply with all the laws the EU complies with? Erm, doesn't most stuff come from China nowadays?...
                            20-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                          • RGI and housing benefit
                            cdbe
                            Hi, new to the forum and relatively new to letting. My situation is:

                            Couple view house, like it etc, seem OK to me. She's full time employed, he's currently unemployed but looking to start his own business as a tattoo artist. Still ok-ish. They pay me £100 holding deposit and £100 referencing...
                            18-07-2017, 00:08 AM
                          • Reply to RGI and housing benefit
                            cdbe
                            Thanks. I've binned them off. The ref co said what she earns won't cover it. TBH I don't know why I tried. I've offered her the holding deposit in full plus whatever I get back from uklandlord referencing.co (I paid them £140 - 110 for one reference and 1 year RGI and 30 for second reference, so basically...
                            20-07-2017, 19:48 PM
                          • Resident Landlord tenancy
                            Rocky1001
                            Hi all, need some advice please.

                            I'm in the process of letting my flat out but am struggling to work out exactly what type of tenancy I should be using, from my research I believe it should be a form of Excluded resident landlord tenancy but I can't seem to find a suitable template as...
                            10-07-2017, 12:55 PM
                          • Reply to Resident Landlord tenancy
                            Rocky1001
                            Hi, thanks for that, so would it make a difference if I offer shared use of the main bathroom and not just limit the tenant to their en-suite in their self contained section?
                            Also can I ask recommendation regarding best way of handling council tax?

                            I assume their are existing templates...
                            20-07-2017, 17:40 PM
                          Working...
                          X