Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• entitlement to refund of rent

Advice gratefully received!
    I had tenant move into property in middle of a April.Paid half a months rent which we agreed and then paid monthly in advance thereafter.Lease agreement was,nt signed until 3rd of June expiring on 30/11/08.tenant wrote saying he didn,t want to renew his tenancy but did not date the letter or offer a date to move out.Rent was paid at beginning of Oct for month.The mother then called asking if he could move out on 19th to which i agreed as they had paid until end of the month.There was no mention of having rent refunded.
    Now father is threatening a claim against through small claims court for £170 which he reckons we are due him for 12 days rent.He has counted the 6 months form 19th April-19th Oct.
    I don,t feel i owe him this as rent was payable in advance per calender month .

I,d be grateful for advice as don,t want this to get any nastier
    Thanks in anticipation

My understanding is that you are not obliged to refund any of the rent paid in advance, unless you agreed to do so (as a condition of a surrender, for example). You may find this thread interesting:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ayable+advance
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for the reply and link you suggested.I feel more confident in declining to refund rent to him now.Just hope to resolve asap.
      Thankyou

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X