reducing rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reducing rent

have a month to month agreement (after end on AST) tenant wants rent reduced by £100, whcih is ok, but i want to keep month to month agreement. anyway to reduce the rent while keeping current contract? am i allowed to take the rent as normal, but pay tenant back £100 everyomnth into his account?
    Pls adivse.
    Thanks

Originally posted by data View Post
    have a month to month agreement (after end on AST) tenant wants rent reduced by £100, whcih is ok, but i want to keep month to month agreement. anyway to reduce the rent while keeping current contract? am i allowed to take the rent as normal, but pay tenant back £100 everyomnth into his account?
    Your psot is garbled, but I think that the answer is this:
    1. You are L.
    2. T wants rent reduction.
    3. The AST fixed-term letting is now continuing as a statutory periodic tenancy [s.5 of 1988 Act].
    4. You can agree a reduction BUT it's not binding unless you + T execute a Supplemental Agreement as a Deed. This is because:
    a. s.5 means that all existing AST clauses (except re Notice) still continue in force, inc. the rent amount; and
    b. an informally-agreed reduction is not binding, for lack of contractual consideration.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      b. an informally-agreed reduction is not binding, for lack of contractual consideration.
      But when you say it wouldn't be binding, what are the practical implications of that here? Does it just mean that (in theory) the LL could turn round in a 6 months time and tell the tenant 'you're 6 x £100 in arrears'?

If so, then presumably it would be advisable for the tenant to insist on a Supplemental Agreement for his own protection, but there's no reason for the OP to raise it as an issue now?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        But when you say it wouldn't be binding, what are the practical implications of that here? Does it just mean that (in theory) the LL could turn round in a 6 months time and tell the tenant 'you're 6 x £100 in arrears'?

If so, then presumably it would be advisable for the tenant to insist on a Supplemental Agreement for his own protection, but there's no reason for the OP to raise it as an issue now?
        Yes. However, OP asked how to do what was agreed with T- not how to con T.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
          Gordonmrln
          I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
          20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
        • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
          mariner
          AFAIK LCS are just collection Agents for B Gas, not Bailiffs. They have to get B Gas approval for further action.
          Did you/wife receive/request actual B Gas itemised Bill for disputed period?
          Talk to B Gas Debt team.
          You may have to provide evidence of identifiable start/end meter readings
          27-07-2017, 03:48 AM
        • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
          IoIo
          Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
          26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
        • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
          mariner
          IOLO brownie points for providing required info upfront.
          As LL, I normally pay for move in report and T for move out report.
          Joint Ts are equally liable for 1 report.
          2 ways seem avail to you-
          1. Complete a move out condition report in first week of Aug and claim for any T damage...
          26-07-2017, 23:23 PM
        • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
          Gordonmrln
          Dear wright76, I don't have a mental condition, but a learning disability I suffer with Dyslexia and have been psychologically tested and diagnosed with the Dyslexia condition. It seems that everything I've said or tried to do so far here is all negative and I'm doing everything wrong apart from sending...
          26-07-2017, 23:01 PM
        • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
          BouwensPB
          I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
          26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
        • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
          AndrewDod
          Quite. Explain how you managed to get this tenant in the first place - and via some shady outfit as well. Seems as if all eyes were off all balls....
          26-07-2017, 22:56 PM
        • S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
          BlueMystery
          I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
          26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
        • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
          KTC
          That ....
          26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
        • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
          Paul4321
          Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
          20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
        Working...
        X