Can Tenant recover partial rent rebate- premises unfit?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can Tenant recover partial rent rebate- premises unfit?


    First poster here!

    How do I rightfully do it? An ex-letting agent has mentioned a basis of RENT / ROOMS * ROOMS IN UNRENTABLE CONDITION * MONTHS UNRENTABLE.

    I am a tenant who has been in a property with rising damp in 3 rooms for 4/5 months. The problem is now being dealt with and I have been given a rent-holiday since mid Feb when the builder started and ripped out my bathroom (Still habitable as I have an en-suite). Until mid-Feb I paid full rent, but for the fact the property was in a very poor, unrentable condition I would like (entitled?) to claim some money back.

    Can I do this?

    Is the above the correct way to do it?

    Just to make clear, I am not into the whole "compo" culture. I have however been paying 100% rent for a property in 50-60% condition and feel that that is wrong.

    All help gratefully received and appreciated!

  • #2
    If you were 'given a rent-holiday', as you state, you have not been paying during it- so what else are you seeking?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


    • #3
      Thank you to whoever changed the title!

      Jeffrey - I should have been clearer.

      I moved in 30th August, damp there but v.minor.
      By November the walls of 3 seperate rooms had damp between 1' and 5' high.
      Works (and rent holiday) started 18th February.
      Up until 18th Feb I had paid full rent.

      I am seeking a claim for partial rent rebate for the time that the property was in an unrentable state, i.e. November until 18th Feb.

      Had I not have been there then the landlords would not have been able to let the property until the damage had been repaired. I feel aggreived to have paid full rent for this period.

      I completely agree that I should pay rent, just not all of it?


      Latest Activity


      • Mice in the flat - what to do?
        We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

        Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
        26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
      • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
        Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
        24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
        I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
        26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
      • Tenant application form
        Hi all!

        So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

        Thanks in advance,

        25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
      • Reply to Tenant application form
        You really need two forms.
        a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
        b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
        25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
        25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
      • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
        Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

        Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

        Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

        Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
        24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
      • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
        If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
        25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
      • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
        Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
        25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
      • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
        Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
        25-07-2017, 22:07 PM