Can Tenant recover partial rent rebate- premises unfit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Tenant recover partial rent rebate- premises unfit?

Hi,

First poster here!

How do I rightfully do it? An ex-letting agent has mentioned a basis of RENT / ROOMS * ROOMS IN UNRENTABLE CONDITION * MONTHS UNRENTABLE.

I am a tenant who has been in a property with rising damp in 3 rooms for 4/5 months. The problem is now being dealt with and I have been given a rent-holiday since mid Feb when the builder started and ripped out my bathroom (Still habitable as I have an en-suite). Until mid-Feb I paid full rent, but for the fact the property was in a very poor, unrentable condition I would like (entitled?) to claim some money back.

Can I do this?

Is the above the correct way to do it?

Just to make clear, I am not into the whole "compo" culture. I have however been paying 100% rent for a property in 50-60% condition and feel that that is wrong.

All help gratefully received and appreciated!

If you were 'given a rent-holiday', as you state, you have not been paying during it- so what else are you seeking?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you to whoever changed the title!

Jeffrey - I should have been clearer.

I moved in 30th August, damp there but v.minor.
      By November the walls of 3 seperate rooms had damp between 1' and 5' high.
      Works (and rent holiday) started 18th February.
      Up until 18th Feb I had paid full rent.

I am seeking a claim for partial rent rebate for the time that the property was in an unrentable state, i.e. November until 18th Feb.

Had I not have been there then the landlords would not have been able to let the property until the damage had been repaired. I feel aggreived to have paid full rent for this period.

I completely agree that I should pay rent, just not all of it?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X