Is Landlord liable for Tenant's unpaid water bills?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Landlord liable for Tenant's unpaid water bills?

Anyone any experience of water company trying to dump unpaid tenants water bills on landlord. I have HMO with seperate meters in each flat which the water co. have always billed to the occupier. However they have just sent me a huge bill for a flat which has been let on AST which clearly states water to be paid by tenant with meter reading at start of tenancy.
    This is very worrying as there are 7 flats here and if they try to pin every unpaid bill going back several years on me then basically I am in deep trouble!
    Any advice or source of accurate information gratefully received

They can try, sometimes they will try it on, but you are not liable (unless there is a law that I am not aware of). Produce the tenancy agreement to the water company and that should be the end of the story as far as them billing you is concerned.

Only this week, there was a card through the letter box of a property I manage which didn't say anything other than "welcome to your new home" with a long reference number. I just knew it had something to do with the delinquent tenant I inherited who recently abandoned the property and had a history of not paying bills. I called the water company to find out and they declared they had no record of who was the occupier or if indeed the property was occupied. The tenant has been there since 2003 . The lady on the phone asked me to repeat the "2003" part three times. She couldn't believe it. I just said that I have a tenancy agreement if they need it, she said no, that's fine, they will pursue the tenant.

I always notify the utilties of changes of tenancy but didn't with this one as the tenant had been in the property for years before I took over.

I also, had a property whereby mid way through the tenancy, "someone" notified the water company that the property was unoccupied. I found this out when I notified them of the tenants vacating with the closing reading. A week later, I had the old tenants on the phone wanting to know why a huge water bill had arrived at their new address for their old property! Again, I simply told the water company I have the tenancy agreement etc to prove who was the occupier at the time the water was used. I've never heard a word since.
    ETA I assume your tenancy agreement states that the tenant is responsible for the water charges

Comment

Thanks for the advice Bunny, you did well to spot my question as I'm new to this and put it in the wrong place! Impressed so far hopefully will find out how to use it properly soon. Regards John

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        pdmalik
        Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
        23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
      • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
        wfd_property
        So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
        24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
      • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        Manchesterlandlord
        hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
        24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
        wfd_property
        Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
        24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
        KTC
        "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
        24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
      • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
        Jcg76
        I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
        Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
        24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
        nukecad
        At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
        And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
        24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
        jpkeates
        Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
        Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
        Give them the deposit back and you're done....
        24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
      • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        JP23
        Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
        23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
      • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
        jpkeates
        Unless the OP comes back to confirm whether the charge was pre-agreed and now regretted or simply sprung on them, we're a bit stuck.
        24-07-2017, 19:48 PM
      Working...
      X