Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant has left without paying rent

Hi.

I'm posing this problem on behalf of a friend who is the landlord.

A tenant left without giving any notice. He still owes some rent, but has not paid.

The landlord doesn't know where he's moved to, but knows where he works.

What steps can the landlord take to recover the outstanding monies?

Many thanks.

when did T move in?

When did T move out?

How long was agreement to last for?

Was deposit protected?
    PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Gibbs View Post
      when did T move in?

When did T move out?

How long was agreement to last for?

Was deposit protected?
      Plus:
      e. did L serve any Notices on T, before departure; and
      f. did T leave before or on or after expiry of fixed term?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I'm afraid that due to ignorance, the landlord hasn't covered himself in any way, i.e. no written contract, no protection on the deposit, no background checks (with new lodgers) etc. He's broken all the rules when it comes to good business practice (not to mention common sense).

So, no he hasn't served any notices, protected the deposit, issued a written contract for a fixed term.

Would chasing the debt be a lost cause?

Tony.

Comment

Yes. Serves him right, I regret to say.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X