Can landlord reject tenant's Notice to Quit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can landlord reject tenant's Notice to Quit?

If a tenant has handed their notice in and gave one month which is on the tenancy agreement, can a landlord not accept this date?

Bit more information required before the members can offer suggestions:

Is this an assured shorthold tenancy? If so,
    What is the commencement date?
    What is the end date or length of the fixed term?

Comment

Originally posted by Faye View Post
      If a tenant has handed their notice in and gave one month which is on the tenancy agreement, can a landlord not accept this date?
      If you mean that T wants to leave on the date when a fixed term tenancy expires, no Notice at all is necessary- so L has no say in the matter.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

the T has handed a months notice in dated which the end date is 8th of april her tenancey expires in July 09 this is only a 6 month short term tenancy

thanks

Comment

The short answer is no. The tenant has signed an agreement until July 2009.

Is there any kind of break clause written into the tenancy agreement? I'd be surprised for a six month tenancy.

Are you the tenant?

Comment

From what you have posted so far it sounds like T cannot serve a valid notice to quit as it cannot expire before the end of the fixed term.

If T wants to leave on the day the tenancy expires in July 09 then no notice is required. (As Jeffrey said)

If T stays on after the end of the fixed term in July then a periodic tenancy arises and a 1 month notice needs to be served. T can then leave on the date in that notice and LL could not complain.

T can leave during the fixed term, but only if LL and T agree on the terms upon which T will surrender the tenancy. If this is going to happen I suggest getting a deed drawn up to clearly cover both sides.
            PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

No i am not the tenant i am the agent and a very confused one at that!!

Thanks for your help anyway. So the tenant cant leave as she still has 4 months of her tenancy.

I just want to get my facts straight before i talk to the LL.

So she cant even leave if she has posted a months notice in writing?

Comment

So she cant even leave if she has posted a months notice in writing?
                No, she can't.
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

The bit in bold concerns me... unless i've misunderstood it.

Usually the tenant cannot terminate a fixed term assured or assured shorthold tenancy agreement before the end of the term unless:-

1- The tenant is able to persuade the landlord to agree to it; or

2-the agreement allows this

If the 1 month notice is written into the agreement then the tenant surely can terminate??
                  Borat hope his post are some help. Borat thinks people should double check anything someone who refers to himself in third person says...

Comment

Originally posted by Borat View Post
                    The bit in bold concerns me... unless i've misunderstood it.

Usually the tenant cannot terminate a fixed term assured or assured shorthold tenancy agreement before the end of the term unless:-

1- The tenant is able to persuade the landlord to agree to it; or

2-the agreement allows this

If the 1 month notice is written into the agreement then the tenant surely can terminate??
                    It depends on whether the 'one month' bit is:
                    a. general (i.e. that T must give one month's Notice no matter whether T terminates tenancy at fixed-term expiry or thereafter); or
                    b. specific (i.e. that T can terminate the tenancy at any time whether during the fixed term or thereafter [or- alternative possibility- at a stipulated time] by using an explicit break clause and serving a one-month Notice).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      It depends on whether the 'one month' bit is:
                      a. general (i.e. that T must give one month's Notice no matter whether T terminates tenancy at fixed-term expiry or thereafter); or
                      b. specific (i.e. that T can terminate the tenancy at any time whether during the fixed term or thereafter [or- alternative possibility- at a stipulated time] by using an explicit break clause and serving a one-month Notice).
                      Agree completely. Just concerned me that OP mentioned this in their first post as if it was possibly the point everyone was not in agreement on!
                      Borat hope his post are some help. Borat thinks people should double check anything someone who refers to himself in third person says...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
                        mandm
                        This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                        Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                        I served the...
                        21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                      • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                        MrShed
                        JK - there are *some* upsides of taking a deposit. The main two for me:
                        1) Regardless of what it can feel like on here, the majority of tenants do not know they can play the system in this way.
                        2) There is something to be said for the mindset of a tenant who has something "invested"...
                        21-07-2017, 08:19 AM
                      • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                        MrShed
                        I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                        20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                        jpkeates
                        The ICO should be fining landlords for not registering as data processors - they're not.

The maximum amount of personal data held by landlords and agents arises out of tenant referencing, and, if that were to be destroyed after a couple of months, most landlords would arguably be pretty...
                        21-07-2017, 08:16 AM
                        JK0
                        I'm afraid this rant won't help you much o/p, but:

STILL!? Still landlords are giving tenants a way to wheedle thousands out of them for no good reason?

I have come to the conclusion this whole deposit protection nonsense is a government sponsored scam. There is barely any...
                        21-07-2017, 08:12 AM
                        jpkeates
                        They are probably claiming that you didn't protect the deposit and give them the Prescribed Information document, both of which you are required to do within 30 days of receipt of the deposit.

If you didn't do both things to the appropriate deadline, you didn't protect the deposit correctly....
                        21-07-2017, 08:09 AM
                      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                        jjlandlord
                        Source: http://news.pwc.ch/31824/gdpr-key-ch...-eu-companies/

That being said, I don't think it will have much impact on landlords:

I don't think that'll be the case. References are legitimate and widespread.

21-07-2017, 07:51 AM
                      • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
                        Hayleydenice93
                        Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
                        20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
                      • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
                        theartfullodger
                        You do not have to own a place to be the Landlord. Suspect they rent from owner (their Landlord), they then rent (as your Landlord) to you.

Doubt there's any chance of getting proper tenancy from them. You could sign licence, move in, then try and get rights as an AST Tenant (eg sue for...
                        21-07-2017, 07:46 AM
                      • Claiming for Non protected deposit
                        charliesugar
                        This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
                        She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
                        27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
                      Working...
                      X