No address for landlord- how can tenant give Notice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by thesaint View Post
    Probably best to start your own thread, and include some relevant information.
    Plus [Derry John] aren't you/premises in Northern Ireland? The law's different there!

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    Originally posted by DerryJohn View Post
    I wanted to bring this back up.

I have been trying to get my landlord for a long time (Maybe 8 or 9 months) as he still has my deposit.
    I tried to phone numerous times and never get an answer and now I cant get through at all on his number.

I am on benefits and had to get a lend of this money to pay my deposit thinking I wouldnt have a problem getting it back because I never have before and I need to give this money back to the person that loaned it to me..I simply can't pay it myself while on benefits.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any help
    Probably best to start your own thread, and include some relevant information.

Leave a comment:

• DerryJohn
    replied
    I wanted to bring this back up.

I have been trying to get my landlord for a long time (Maybe 8 or 9 months) as he still has my deposit.
    I tried to phone numerous times and never get an answer and now I cant get through at all on his number.

I am on benefits and had to get a lend of this money to pay my deposit thinking I wouldnt have a problem getting it back because I never have before and I need to give this money back to the person that loaned it to me..I simply can't pay it myself while on benefits.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any help

Leave a comment:

• yaf201
    replied
    Registered in someone else's name and no the deposit was not protected.

Leave a comment:

• Preston
    replied
    Originally posted by yaf201 View Post
    Yes, a deposit of one month's rent, but as he hasn't paid the rent for 3 months since finding out that he has no S48 info, hoping this will prompt the landlord to get in touch.

We have checked the land registry, but the house is not registered in the landlord's name.

To me the whole thingy smells fishier than Grimsby in the 70s.
    Hi

Sorry, but are you saying that the property was not registered, or that it was registered in someone else's name?

Preston

Leave a comment:

• Agent Memsi
    replied
    was the deposit registered? request to have the deposit returned and see if the DPS manage to contact the landlord

Leave a comment:

• montana
    replied
    or LL could be one of those government ministers claiming expenses on their second home and just simply forgot to inform you that the room you live in is infact their office.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Or that the landlord is dead, insane or behind bars.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy
    replied
    That means the person you thought was your landlord probably is not.

Leave a comment:

• yaf201
    replied
    Yes, a deposit of one month's rent, but as he hasn't paid the rent for 3 months since finding out that he has no S48 info, hoping this will prompt the landlord to get in touch.

We have checked the land registry, but the house is not registered in the landlord's name.

To me the whole thingy smells fishier than Grimsby in the 70s.

Leave a comment:

• Agent Memsi
    replied
    I would probably suggest trying to contact the landlord by getting his information from the land registry, i assume your friend has given a deposit he would like back?

Leave a comment:

• yaf201
    started a topic No address for landlord- how can tenant give Notice?

No address for landlord- how can tenant give Notice?

A friend of mine is moving house. He has lost the mobile number his landlord gave him and his tenancy agreement contains no S48 info. I've told him this means that he is not liable to pay any rent and he has now cancelled his standing order in the hope that will prompt the landlord to get in touch. It hasn't.

He has decided to move and we can't work out how he should give notice or even whether he should give notice.

The only two things I can think of that he should do are;
    • When he leaves, post a notice on the window saying he's left and put the keys through the door
    • Write a letter of notice, put it in an envelope with the landlord's name, sort code and account number on. Send that to the landlord's bank with a covering letter explaining the situation and asking them to forward to the landlord.

Does this sound reasonable?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
    by jpkeates
    If the tenancy ended tomorrow, the damage would be claimed from the tenant.

They're responsible for what happens in the property while they're living there - just as an owner would be responsible, if the same thing happened to them....
    19-01-2022, 13:13 PM
  • Property damaged. Advice please
    by minorbark
    Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
    18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
  • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
    by leasee123
    OK.

But where do I stand legally?

If tenants agree to leave as per email, but they don't actually leave, meanwhile new tenant is due to move in. Can I claim all costs, including new tenants claims from me, from existing tenants?
    19-01-2022, 13:12 PM
  • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
    by jpkeates
    I don't market properties until the tenants have left - properties full of tenants' possessions aren't at their best, and there made be things you need to do to smarten it up or fix.

It's not actually possible for a tenant to give valid notice during a fixed term, so you couldn't rely on...
    19-01-2022, 12:51 PM
  • Ending of a tenancy
    by leasee123
    Hello,

I am a landlord with a tenancy fixed term ending in March. My tenants emailed to say they will be leaving, giving two month notice.

I will be marketing the property to find new tenants. How do I know that am I protected from the event of the tenants staying beyond...
    19-01-2022, 12:42 PM
  • Reply to Deposit transfer
    by jpkeates
    You'd be dependent on the landlord transferring the deposit (assuming it's possible).

I use the DPS, but don't want to mess up my account trying to see if it's possible.
    19-01-2022, 12:48 PM
  • Deposit transfer
    by Flynn
    I’m currently looking for a new tenant (not using an agent). Something a prospective tenant has mentioned is the deposit being transferred from their current tenancy to their new one via the DPS.

Has anyone had experience of this working in practice, I’ve read online about the concept...
    19-01-2022, 12:28 PM
  • Reply to Deposit transfer
    by DoricPixie
    As you’ve pointed out, even if it is possible, it isn’t practical. The current landlord won’t release the deposit before you’d want it ie before the tenancy starts. Sounds to me like the tenant hasn’t saved up a deposit in anticipation for the move....
    19-01-2022, 12:45 PM
    by Perce
    Any normal person would open the door to check what is going on. He heard them breaking the door and still did not open. I would evict....
    19-01-2022, 12:14 PM
    by minorbark
    True as that might be, is there not an obligation on him to take reasonable care of my property while he resides there? When even the neighbours say they heard the police's attempts to get the tenant to open the door and then force entry, surely it's not unreasonable to expect that the tenant should...
    19-01-2022, 11:52 AM
Working...
X