Joint tenants: UK national and Hungarian national?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint tenants: UK national and Hungarian national?

I am currently considering moving in with my partner into a one or two bedroom apartment in the near future.
    I am a 25 year old professional with good income and an excellent credit history, she is a 20 year old student from Hungary due to start a masters course at Cardiff. She will have a limited or no credit history due to residence with parents in Hungary, and has only been in the UK for 6 months, so does not count yet as a UK resident (Hungary is in the EU so she is ok to be here.)

The following ways of allowing us to share a property (as far as I can tell) are:

-Let the property under my name only and be completely liable, possibly rendering her occupation of the property illegal and also affording her no rights whatsoever, in addition there will be a ‘black hole’ in her credit history here where she is at no fixed address.

-Is there any way that a tenancy agreement can be made that allows me to be solely liable for all rent/costs whilst still naming her as a tenant? I.e. if she leaves then I am completely liable, which is fine. I can establish privately how we split the rent and costs.

- Or is there a way that the tenancy agreement can be made that fixes the contribution that we both make to the rent formally, with us both jointly and severally liable if either one leaves, so a sort of customised Joint tenancy agreement? Taking into the account that she has no credit history apart from confirmed income from the student loans company.

Any feedback would be appreciated, including if I’m totally going up the wrong way here!

It’s not illegal for tenants to have guests.

In your circumstances, a sensible landlord should reference and credit check both of you. Almost certainly your partner will fail and the prospective landlord can make an informed decision whether to put both names on the tenancy, your sole name or not accept either of you.

Alternatively, do everything in your sole name and do not involve your partner at all. She would have no tenant rights and would effectively be your guest.

If you are accepted as a tenant, you and your partner can decide what combination of names to put on the utility bills. It is for you both to decide the proportion of contributions to the household expenses.

Comment

Another option is for your partner, like lots of students with no independent income, to be named as a joint tenant but to have a UK based guarantor for her share of the rent and bills. Is that possible in her case?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks that is very useful Poppy. I guess the whole thing would have to be based on trust.. which is a bit tricky..
        Originally posted by Poppy View Post
        If you are accepted as a tenant, you and your partner can decide what combination of names to put on the utility bills. It is for you both to decide the proportion of contributions to the household expenses.
        And I guess this is one way of proving that you actually live somewhere!

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        Another option is for your partner, like lots of students with no independent income, to be named as a joint tenant but to have a UK based guarantor for her share of the rent and bills. Is that possible in her case?
        Thanks for the reply - It won't be possible as she has no family here, is there any option that the lead tenant (i.e. me) could be guarantor for the other named tenants on a joint tenancy or is this just too risky for a landlord? The idea is I need a much bigger place anyway and would not be paying for somewhere that I couldn't afford to pay for myself - so if she skipped then it would obviously be a financial implication but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Basically if anyone could afford a mortgage any more then that's the route I would be going down..

Comment

There is no point for you to be a guranatour for her if you will have joint tenancy; as each of you is responsible for all the rent, not just your share.

You need to find a sympathetic LL. Or pay more rent up front
          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
            Gordonmrln
            I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
            20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
          • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
            leaseholder64
            I wasn't aware that the identity of council tax payers was a public record. You might be able to get a statement that it wasn't you. without breaching the Data Protection Act.
            23-07-2017, 23:27 PM
          • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
            JP23
            Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
            23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
          • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
            jjlandlord
            I'd hope so! They run a business after all....
            23-07-2017, 22:32 PM
          • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
            KTC
            The main problem I have for the charge being passed on is that often times (esp. through agents) the charge is actually considerably more than the protection fee they pay the schemes. It's been used as another way for agents (or landlords) to make money.
            23-07-2017, 22:29 PM
          • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
            Wright76
            Your still confusing your own council tax liability at your current address with that of the rental property.

If no-one was registered as living there then you would have been billed as landlord. The fact that you haven't been indicates that they are aware of who was tenant. ASK THEM FOR...
            23-07-2017, 22:18 PM
            Wright76
            To be fair lvkn yes the rent covers everything you state, but the 48 pound charge Is your choice and is avoidable.

You choose to use an insurance based scheme and hold the tenants money collecting interest. How is it fair to force that charge on your tenant each time?

With...
            23-07-2017, 22:06 PM
            Lvkn
            Hello
            i am a landlord and have insurance based deposit protection (I hold the deposit in segregated client account and register it with My Deposits) every time a new contract is drawn up we have to pay £48. If a tenancy is renewed, we pay £48. If someone moves out of one of our multiple tenant...
            23-07-2017, 20:27 PM
          • Excessive estate agent fees
            Cml241
            I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
            21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
          • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
            Wright76
            If you have no ongoing contract with the agent and it was "find" only, they have no right to force you into a new AST.

Depending on the terms of your contract there's nothing to prevent you, if your feeling confident, in renewing the contract yourself and taking over.
            23-07-2017, 19:11 PM
          Working...
          X