Unlawful subletting of Social Housing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlawful subletting of Social Housing

Here's a link to an article on the BBC website about the practice of social housing tenants subletting their properties and the local council's attempts to recover them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7956258.stm

I found a report on the internet that indicates nearly 400 properties in London were recovered in for non-authorised occupancy in a 2 year period, with the majority in Southwark.

The audit commissions website gives some case studies of the type of activity they are uncovering.

- a tenant who was matched to an address within the Croydon area. The documentation provided confirmed that the tenant was the owner/occupier of the Croydon property. After further investigations the individual relinquished the tenancy and Southwark gained vacant possession of the property; and
    - a tenant who had made a homeless application and was given a tenancy had bought a property in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Further investigations revealed that the person had also obtained another property from Southwark, using a different name, and was actually subletting both the Southwark properties. Both tenancies were terminated.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
    BlueMystery
    I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
    26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
  • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
    KTC
    That ....
    26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
  • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
    Paul4321
    Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
    20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
  • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
    KTC
    A tenancy of more than 3 years to be executed as deed (Law of Property Act 1925).

A tenancy of less than 7 years - landlord's repairing obligations (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985).

A tenancy of more than 7 years - registration with the Land Registry.

If you're going...
    26-07-2017, 21:39 PM
  • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
    MrShed
    I dont see a benefit in Section 8 in this circumstance as the grounds are discretionary not compulsory (is my reading of the situation anyway).

Its worth issuing it anyway but then proceed down S21 when it expires?
    26-07-2017, 21:14 PM
  • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
    IoIo
    Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
    26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
  • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
    MrShed
    Yes I cant agree with JK on this one, although I agree its an elegant solution in theory. A few issues with it though:
    - Subletting
    - The previous tenant in effect remains a tenant (in the eyes of the law)
    - Any damage that has been caused up to now should in fact be deducted three...
    26-07-2017, 21:08 PM
  • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
    Logical.Lean
    I would make a list of the improvements / repairs which are required and get some ball park quotes for the work from trades(wo)men in the area.
    Then I would offer a 6 month rolling tenancy, at a fair rent. I would ask the tenant to quote for a few of the simple jobs, and pay him once completed....
    26-07-2017, 21:06 PM
  • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
    Wright76
    I can't see the departing tenant agreeing to withdraw their notice and nor should they simply to get their deposit back.

They are ALL responsible. The tenancy Is ending for all of them and they are jointly responsible for any damage.

I'm amused by your insistence for a professional...
    26-07-2017, 20:43 PM
  • Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
    purpleangel
    Landlord has served me with S21 to leave property by 10 September. 12 month AST in England. Tenancy has been difficult last few months, major delays in repairs and I am still waiting to be refunded for a locksmith call out a month ago. I paid 12 months rent in advance due to having CCJs.

25-07-2017, 21:35 PM
Working...
X