Joint tenancy expires: can some of tenants leave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
    But a change is not a new contract. If it were, the consideration would be the same as for the old contract.
    The change in rent is a tenancy variation. This is not binding on T unless by s.13 or in a Deed; past consideration is no consideration.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

what about if the rent is put up?

Comment

Originally posted by fthl View Post
        That is exactly what we're discussing! Re-read post #46, please.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I am perfectly happy to accept the principle that where a lease is made by deed:

(a) the rent can only be varied by deed; but that

(b) equity will allow a variation where the variation is supported by fresh consideration; and that

(c) equity will further intervene in the absence of fresh consideration if an estoppel arises.

(See Central London Property Trust Ltd. v. High Trees House Ltd)

I remain to be convinced that the above principle applies where the lease was not created by deed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            I remain to be convinced that the above principle applies where the lease was not created by deed.
            See your previous comment: As the old managing clerk I trained under would have said: "What is your authority for that proposition?"!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              See your previous comment: As the old managing clerk I trained under would have said: "What is your authority for that proposition?"!
              Definitions:

"Proposition 1": Absent fresh consideration or estoppel, a variation of the rent under a lease not created by deed can only be agreed by deed.

"Proposition 2": Absent fresh consideration or estoppel, a variation of any term under a contract not created by deed can only be agreed by deed.

"Proposition 3": A variation of the rent under a lease not created by deed can be agreed without a deed.

"the Established Principle": Absent fresh consideration or estoppel, a variation of the rent under a lease created by deed can only be agreed by deed.

I was not offering Proposition 3. I said I remain to be convinced that Proposition 1 is true.

What is your authority for the proposition that the Established Principle can be extended to include Proposition 1?

If Proposition 1 is true, it would seem to imply that Proposition 2 is also true.

If Proposition 2 is true, Proposition 1 must also be true and Proposition 3 cannot be true.

If Proposition 2 is not true, Proposition 1 (a particular instance of Proposition 2) cannot be true either and Proposition 3 must be true.

I confess I can quote no authority for Proposition 3. Can you quote any authority for Proposition 1 or Proposition 2?

Comment

Keeping it simple, the propositions are that rent can be increased by:
                a. a Deed between L and T [binding both];
                b. a s.13 Notice [served by L and binding T because the 1988 Act says so]; or
                c. an informal method [not binding T because there is no consideration from L to T in exchange for T's obligation to pay the increase].

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                  Keeping it simple, the propositions are that rent can be increased by:
                  a. a Deed between L and T [binding both];
                  b. a s.13 Notice [served by L and binding T because the 1988 Act says so]; or
                  c. an informal method [not binding T because there is no consideration from L to T in exchange for T's obligation to pay the increase].
                  I agree a and b, but not that c does not bind tenant.

Comment

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by fthl
                    That is exactly what we're discussing! Re-read post #46, please.
                    Sorry, I wasn't being clear. Could the extra rent not be the required consideration?

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. Could the extra rent not be the required consideration?
                      No. If T agrees to pay it, what does L agree in exchange? That's the missing consideration!

Comment

Ok, With you. so if they agree anything else (eg replacement fridge) then this could stand as the missing consideration?

Comment

Ok, With you. so if they agree anything else (eg replacement fridge) then this could stand as the missing consideration?
                          Yes- you've got it! (Please try to explain it to Lawcruncher)

Comment

Remember though that a variation in rent following fresh consideration is binding in equity only.

Let me start again. The problem I have is this: it is possible to create certain types of tenancy without a deed, or indeed without writing. I am having difficulty believing that the terms of such a tenancy can only be varied by deed when a deed was not needed to create them. It is quite possible that there is a rule that says:

Except where and to the extent that equity intervenes or statute allows, the terms of a tenancy, whether created by deed or not, may only be varied by deed.

I do not believe this to be a rule, but I am open to persuasion it is a rule if some authority is quoted to support it.

For the record I believe the following rule can be stated, since it is supported by the authority of Central London Property Trust Ltd. v. High Trees House Ltd:

Except where and to the extent that equity intervenes or statute allows, the terms of a tenancy, when created by deed, may only be varied by deed.

I feel I must also ask whether it is being suggested that any contract not made by deed can only be varied by deed if no fresh consideration is available to support the variation?

Comment

Why the obsession with whether variation must be by Deed?
                              Yes, a Deed cures the 'lack of consideration' problem. If a letting not by Deed is to be varied other than by Deed, the variation is binding only if:
                              a. supported by contractual consideration; or
                              b. effective under s.13.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by jpkeates
                                The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
                                19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
                              • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by abimsalabim
                                I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                                18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                              • Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by jpkeates
                                If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
                                That bit is simple.

The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
                                19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                              • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by HMOmike
                                I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
                                19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
                              • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by abimsalabim
                                The tenant agreement states that the Landlord should hold onto the deposit until the dispute is resolved but, the agent is disputing this, claiming that they are the ones to hold onto the deposit as part of their Full Management Service...
                                19-05-2022, 15:31 PM
                              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                                by theartfullodger
                                Sorry to read your story:

What can be used to get judge to reduce alleged arrears (thus maybe chucking case out) if pointing out all the repairs the landlord should have made , assigning a value to them, and thus judge reduces "arrears|" by that amount. See from the experts......
                                19-05-2022, 15:29 PM
                              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                                by Forgetmeknot
                                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                              • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                                by mokka
                                I personally gave a landlord a Royal Mail PO Box for any further correspondence wanting to keep my new house purchase address private. I personally wouldn’t like tenants knowing my home address from a landlord perspective....
                                19-05-2022, 15:19 PM
                              • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                                by Renterthedragon
                                I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                                18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
                              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                                by AnilK
                                Most of the above answers I agree with. I can add my experience as I am going through the Section 8 claim right now and seen 10 page defence and counter claims from expensive solicitor.

Though solicitor added one line of stress/harassment, but never highlighted. He says it is different...
                                19-05-2022, 14:39 PM
                              Working...
                              X