Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant has given up possession

Hello everyone

Just looking for some advice, my tenant stopped paying his rent at the end of 2008 and we have since served him a section 8 notice. On friday the agent called to say they believed that he had given up possession of hte house and had moved out. I went around today with the agent on an inspection and there is nothing in the house - no furniture on the ground floor. All the bedroom are also empty except for a double mattress and duvet in teh master bedroom.

What do i do now? I have tried to speak to the solicitor who served the notices for me but in typical solicitor fashion my calls are not being returned. Can i start marketing the property again. He has not returned the keys to the estate agent yet or admitted giving up possession - the agent just thought he would leave.

The house is okay, but things like door missing off fridge and needs repainting - do i have the right to hold his deposit - the agent has taken care of this.

Thanks for reading and any replies much apprecaited.

Cheers

Littleme

Yes, you can market the property. BUT T has not yet formally surrendered, so there is a risk!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

See: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=17487

You must try and contact T for surrender
      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

read other threads on surrender - you will probably be ok, but as Jeffrey said there is a risk.

If you want to protect yourself further put a notice up on the door saying that you think he has abandoned and unless contact made within 7 or 14 days you will re-enter and assume he has surrendered.

when you re-enter take photographs of the damage and then also prepare a schedule of the damage and cost of repair. You can then apply to the TDS to deduct that amount from the deposit. If you have not protected the deposit then this may complicate matters (onyl in terms of deductinos and how to return any residue to T
        PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Best Areas to Buy North East
          Mrbees92
          hello, looking at buying 3 houses in the north east (typically cheap round here).

what are the best areas to look at was thinking County Durham up to 60k per house.

any suggestions?...
          16-08-2017, 21:51 PM
        • Reply to Best Areas to Buy North East
          Wright76
          I live in Northumberland and rent property in Newcastle.

Durham is the same as everywhere,there are really bad areas as well as good.

But if your looking at property under 60k, then your likely looking at a housing benefit market.

With the benefit system the...
          17-08-2017, 09:34 AM
        • Tenant threatens legal action
          Golip
          Hi all

A former tenant of mine whom moved out without giving 4 weeks notice as per his contract is threatening legal action over a deposit which I did not protect in time and was returned to him in full once the admin error was realised (my farther usually deals with the paperwork)
          16-08-2017, 16:16 PM
        • Reply to Tenant threatens legal action
          leaseholder64
          Four months, is more than just technically late, and you seem to have done it in response to the tenant, not because you discovered the mistake yourself, so it culd have gone on for years if tenant hadn't raised the issue.

Whilst I have no practical experience of such things, I would be...
          17-08-2017, 09:33 AM
        • Reply to Best Areas to Buy North East
          theartfullodger
          The best areas are those areas which will show the greatest house-price increases, best rental returns and lowest voids/damages, over whatever period you are thinking (say 3 years, 5 years, 10 years....).

Sadly until those 3, 5, 10 years are up NOBODY will KNOW which those areas are. Anything...
          17-08-2017, 09:24 AM
        • Should referencing company ask for bank details?
          MrsPicklesonsmythe
          Hi all, We're hoping to rent a property. We have no bad credit, can more than afford it, have a guarantor if needed. It's all going well but the landlord is using openrent and their referencing rentguard. They are asking for bank details, NI number, details of outgoings etc all on top of usual address,...
          16-08-2017, 20:43 PM
        • Reply to Should referencing company ask for bank details?
          jpkeates
          That web site simply converts the sort code to a bank branch (from a publically available list) and checks that the bank account number is valid for the sort code, using the check digits embedded in the account number.

The IBAN number is generated from the other data automatically.
          17-08-2017, 09:19 AM
        • Reply to Tenant threatens legal action
          theartfullodger
          Golip: Do we gather your took over from your father as landlord for this property?

If so, two points...
          a) Did you serve on tenant notices compliant with s3 & s48?? If not then perhaps no rent due, you are not yet fully "landlord" and you may have committed a criminal...
          17-08-2017, 09:13 AM
        • Anti-social behaviour/drug dealing
          gillybean6664
          Hi. I am a mortgage owner in apartments. I have a neighbour who moved in March 2017-since he has moved in there has been nothing but trouble. Loud music in the week and weekends until the early hours. A variety of visitors, rarely the same visitors-we have contacted the police who informed us to contact...
          16-08-2017, 18:58 PM
        • Reply to Anti-social behaviour/drug dealing
          AndrewDod
          But almost everything you do will be pointless (unless they extend their activities to the outright criminal).
          We have a system that "cares" (or pretends to care) about tenants in their relationship with landlords, but cares nothing about communal dwellers, leaseholders, upholding of...
          17-08-2017, 09:06 AM
        Working...
        X