Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting to asylum seekers

Hi guys

I am a landlord with some properties. I have been renting out to private people and the local council. However i have heard that renting out to asylum seekers brings in more rent as the government pay for it.

Has anybody done this or know anything about it as i am considering renting to asylum seekers but want to know if i would actually benefit from it or not.

thanks

Hi IMY

I have 5 HMO's currently let to loc council for purpose of housing asylum seekers.
    What properties are you looking at ...?
    The rates for small family units are on a par with LHA ...but if you have HMOs then more rent is payable ....approx market rent less 10-15% ...

This will vary accross areas of UK. But to let on HMO basis you will need to get prop upto a pretty high(HMO) std.

A large % of AS tend to be single males so AS housing teams do seem to have a stronger demand for HMO prop rather than smaller family lets.

Most of mine are 8 let units.

The Rodent
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

Comment

Thanks rodent im looking at letting 1 bed flats 2 bed flats 3 bed and 2 bed houses.

Could you give me an example of what they could pay.

At present a 1 bed will bring in £100

2 bed £110

3 bed £120

Thanks

Comment

Hi Imy,

What area are you in?

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by IMY View Post
          Thanks rodent im looking at letting 1 bed flats 2 bed flats 3 bed and 2 bed houses.

Could you give me an example of what they could pay.

At present a 1 bed will bring in £100

2 bed £110

3 bed £120

Thanks
          This going to vary greatly accross UK !
          But I have been quoted roughly those sorts of figs for AS

You need to get onto whoever is responsible for AS housing in your area ...which may not be the council, as contracts were awarded to private companies as well as loc councils. They also have target areas, generally close to office running the contract and close to amenities such as supermarket (to spend vouchers etc) so you will find most require a city center location.

The Rodent
          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
          W.Churchill

Comment

Im based in Walsall, West Midlands. JAX

7 miles from Bham.

Any rough close figures please Rodent? as i am going to enquire but if there is not much of a difference ill stick to the general public.

Thanks

Comment

I have no idea what figs will be for your area !
              I was offered £120 pw for a 2 bed if it helps you, i dont do small units to AS only my larger ones.

The Rodent
              W.Churchill

Comment

hi rodent

just wanted to pick ure brain again.

I might be in the possession of a 20 bed property. I was wondering what sort of rental i should be getting for asylum seekers on this property as i have some1 coming to have a look.

Please give me some advice on this so i know what to negotiate for.

Thanks

Comment

Guys i deal with wouldn't take it on for AS, as it would be "unmanageable"(in their opinion) they like 4-8 let units, so there is safety in smaller numbers of T.

But i would be looking for £40-£50 pw /room depending on size and condition of prop/amenities etc.
                  If prop is that "big" you will need adequate cooking & living space and probably at least 4 toilet/bathrooms ....

You need to look a the criteria very carefully b4 geting involved in this one.

The Rodent
                  W.Churchill

Comment

Letting to asylum seekers

Hi there,
                    I have heard that Home Office is taking properties from private landlords in the Northwest to house asylum seekers under their dispersal policy. Home office is doing this through some private companies who have contract with the Home Office and they pay guaranteed rent for three years. I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this and if true may be provide me some contact details as I have two properties to let in Rochdale.
                    Kind regards,
                    Last edited by north; 07-03-2009, 18:20 PM. Reason: Added more information.

Comment

Contact the local authority or the council (or the Home Office) for the area that your property is located in.

Comment

Thanks Poppy for the reply. It is much appreciated. Is there anyone who has a personal experience of letting to asylum seeker. I will be grateful if you can help me to consider if this is worth it and if you know any private company who has arrangements with Home Office, I think it is called National Asylum Support Service (NASS) and they are taking properties from private landlords in Greater Manchester.

Comment

Warning

Originally posted by north View Post
                          Thanks Poppy for the reply. It is much appreciated. Is there anyone who has a personal experience of letting to asylum seeker. I will be grateful if you can help me to consider if this is worth it and if you know any private company who has arrangements with Home Office, I think it is called National Asylum Support Service (NASS) and they are taking properties from private landlords in Greater Manchester.
                          Peronal Message sent

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to End of tenancy questions
                            by leasee123
                            So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
                            02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
                          • End of tenancy questions
                            by leasee123
                            Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
                            01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
                          • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                            by bob369
                            I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
                            Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
                            02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
                          • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                            by bob369
                            Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
                            24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
                            by jpkeates
                            You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
                            02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
                          • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                            by Section20z
                            The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
                            02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
                          • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                            by meehr
                            For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
                            01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
                            by leasee123
                            But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
                            02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
                          • Reply to who's repsponsibility
                            by jpucng62
                            Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
                            02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
                          • who's repsponsibility
                            by madmaxwell
                            Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
                            02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
                          Working...
                          X