• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second inventory inflates deductions from deposit

Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate your views and suggestions on the following;
    • Facts

• £2625 with mydeposits (6 weeks rent +25%)
    • Original inventory not signed by tenants
    • Inventory company no record of doing inventory
    • Moved out of property on 7/02/09, handed keys back and Letting Agent did check out inventory
    • Letting agent recommended 100% deposit refund

• 3 weeks later, landlord instructs additional checkout inventory to be carried out by Inventory company
    • Inventory company contradicts Letting Agent inventory and is based on incorrect original inventory
    • Estimated "damages" of approx full deposit e.g. 70% cost of replacement hall carpet (approx 10 years old!!) for slight burn mark.... 50% cost new mattress for slight stain

Questions
    • As we were not in the property for the 3 weeks between the two inventories does the final inventory stand up?
      - Surely so called damages cannot be proved to be caused by us? They based checkout on wrong inventory and we never signed original. Also, we got the place professionally cleaned and three weeks lapsed since clean - of course it would be dusty and garden would have grown!
    • I've opened a dispute with mydeposits. What laws can I quote to defend our side?

We were excellent tenants, kept the place so clean and paid rent on time every month. We left the place in an excellent condition (better than when we moved in and Letting Agent agrees)

Many thanks for taking time out to help me on this.

Amy

Originally posted by amyace View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate your views and suggestions on the following;
    • Facts

• £2625 with mydeposits (6 weeks rent +25%)
    • Original inventory not signed by tenants
    • Inventory company no record of doing inventory
    • Moved out of property on 7/02/09, handed keys back and Letting Agent did check out inventory
    • Letting agent recommended 100% deposit refund

• 3 weeks later, landlord instructs additional checkout inventory to be carried out by Inventory company
    • Inventory company contradicts Letting Agent inventory and is based on incorrect original inventory
    • Estimated "damages" of approx full deposit e.g. 70% cost of replacement hall carpet (approx 10 years old!!) for slight burn mark.... 50% cost new mattress for slight stain

Questions
    • As we were not in the property for the 3 weeks between the two inventories does the final inventory stand up?
      - Surely so called damaged cannot be proved to be caused by us? They based checkout on wrong inventory and we never signed original. Also, we got the place professionally cleaned and three weeks lapsed since clean - of course it would be dusty and garden would have grown!
    • I've opened a dispute with mydeposits. What laws can I quote to defend our side?

Amy
    You do not really need to quote particular laws to the tenancy deposit disputes service - they will know them all anyway!

Just tell them everything you have told us here, make sure your paperwork is order and the chances are you will get most, if not all, of your deposit back.

Sounds as if your LL is trying to pull a fast one here - the adjudicator will not be impressed with the lack of check-in inventory, three week delay, discrepancy between LA's checkout and LL's..etc.

Have you anything written down from LA to prove they said the checkout was OK? Could they supply you with this?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hiya,

Thanks for this advice. Much appreciated.

Yes, I have an e-mail from the letting agent to the LL (ccing me) saying he recommends full refund.

I'll get together as much documentation as possible to support our case.

Many thanks,

Amy

Comment

Original Inventory was not signed, LL has nothing to stand on.
        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
          by Hudson01
          I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
          16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
        • Advice Needed
          by Confused2022
          Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
          15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
        • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
          by Hudson01
          I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
          16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
        • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
          by Laurasplog
          We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
          by theartfullodger
          What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
          16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
          by Laurasplog
          The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
          16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
          by Laurasplog
          The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
          16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
        • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
          by theartfullodger
          In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
          16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
        Working...
        X