Double glazed windows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double glazed windows.

I have a tenant in a 1 bedroom upper flat of a converted victorian terraced house. I have double glazing - the top 1/2 of the window is fixed, the bottom half opens out horizontally.

My tenant (who was single) now has a child and wants me to provide a way to stop the windows opening out as wide as they do for fear her child will fall out. The windows have the usual key lock, and can be positioned such that they allow a crack of air in (ie mostly shut).

However, I wonder if I am under any obligation to purchase special rods that would prevent the window from opening out too wide. Essentially the flat is not fit for the child, but I am unsure where to go with this. I don't feel i should try and make a non child friendly flat - child friendly.

Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thank you. Hazel

Originally posted by hazelmessenger View Post
    I have a tenant in a 1 bedroom upper flat of a converted victorian terraced house. I have double glazing - the top 1/2 of the window is fixed, the bottom half opens out horizontally.

My tenant (who was single) now has a child and wants me to provide a way to stop the windows opening out as wide as they do for fear her child will fall out. The windows have the usual key lock, and can be positioned such that they allow a crack of air in (ie mostly shut).

However, I wonder if I am under any obligation to purchase special rods that would prevent the window from opening out too wide. Essentially the flat is not fit for the child, but I am unsure where to go with this. I don't feel i should try and make a non child friendly flat - child friendly.

Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thank you. Hazel
    The stays to which you refer cost about £10 and could save the child's life.

I cannot believe you are asking the question.

If you feel the flat is unsuitable for the mother and child, then you will have to serve notice as soon as you legally can. But in the meantime you have a duty of care to your tenants and if that means fitting a window stay or two, so be it.

If an accident happened (let us hope it does not) and the tenant had asked you to fit these things and you had refused (on the grounds that you didn't think the child should be living there in the first place), who do you think is going to be held responsible in court?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      The stays to which you refer cost about £10 and could save the child's life.
      Yes, a bit of a no-brainer I'd have thought. eg try http://www.handlestore.com/restrictors.php

Comment

You have a duty of care to the child. I had this argument with a woman at the council 9 years ago when my 18 month old climbed the radiator and onto the window sill in her room and almost fell out! There were no locks for the window which was all I was asking for! Woman tried to win... I demanded a superior who said I was right and 3 days later they were out sorting the problem!

Classic comment from the woman though... move things so she can't climb!! Yeah OK I will remove the radiator shall I? lol!
        GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deposit protection responsibilities
          by Lawcruncher
          Looking at the HA 2004 in connection with another thread I noted that section 219(2)(a) provides: "In this Chapter [that is the section of the Act relating to tenancy deposits] references to a landlord or landlords in relation to any shorthold tenancy or tenancies include references to a person...
          29-01-2022, 10:03 AM
        • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
          by Piffy
          I now believe that one of the tenants had Covid just before vacating and was in a period of Self Isolation, perhaps this is why the Agents suggest a "Deep Clean" to protect the next tenant. It would also explain why when the next tenant was due to move in, our Letting Agent put the tenancy...
          29-01-2022, 09:54 AM
        • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
          by Piffy
          I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
          27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
        • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
          by Lawcruncher
          Just to clarify, what I meant was that the requirement comes from the tenancy terms if they include it....
          29-01-2022, 08:38 AM
        • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
          by Flashback1966
          or just work hard and hopefully take an early retirement.

You can't predict the future. Things always go in cycle. They want to get rid of Section 21, so you may be unable to get your property back. You may end up working and subsidising your rentals....
          29-01-2022, 03:42 AM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by DoricPixie
          It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
          28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
        • Renting rooms
          by Luke
          I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
          I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
          I do not intend to live at the property
          Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
          As its...
          28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by DoricPixie
          I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
          28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by theartfullodger
          Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
          28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
        Working...
        X