unfurnished property, can I get my cooker back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unfurnished property, can I get my cooker back?

I have let my property unfurnished on an AST which has just become periodic.

There is no inventory. Do I have to leave the gas cooker in the property? It has been there from the begining of the tenancy 6 months ago.

I am about to arrange the anual gas safety check and wish to remove the cooker at the same time. Do I have to leave something to cook on?

Originally posted by HRNorthernlass View Post

There is no inventory. Do I have to leave the gas cooker in the property? It has been there from the begining of the tenancy 6 months ago.

I am about to arrange the anual gas safety check and wish to remove the cooker at the same time. Do I have to leave something to cook on?
    Why do you want to remove the cooker?

In the interests of preserving a good relationship with your tenant, it would be an idea to discuss this with them! If they are going to be there a while, they may be willing to provide their own, but what if they cannot afford it? It's a bit mean, just removing it and expecting them to sort themsleves out when they have had the use of it for the first six months.

I think technically, you are not legally required to provide a cooker if prop is let unfurnished but in the circumstances it would be reasonable to continue doing so, don't you think?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

about that cooker

The legal position is what I'm concerned about not the "good relationship" that went when they stopped paying the rent two months ago and refused to move out after saying they were going to.

...yes I'm proceeding with s21 but meanwhile I still have to sort out the gas check no doubt I'm still liable even though they don't stick to their side of the bargain ... was considering blanking off the gas completely so I don't have to keep paying out for checks for non paying tenants. Was considering removing the gas fire too but think I'll leave that for now... it's harder to remove and sell which is what I think they will do with the cooker.

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Why do you want to remove the cooker?

In the interests of preserving a good relationship with your tenant, it would be an idea to discuss this with them! If they are going to be there a while, they may be willing to provide their own, but what if they cannot afford it? It's a bit mean, just removing it and expecting them to sort themsleves out when they have had the use of it for the first six months.

I think technically, you are not legally required to provide a cooker if prop is let unfurnished but in the circumstances it would be reasonable to continue doing so, don't you think?

Comment

The legal position is what I'm concerned about not the "good relationship" that went when they stopped paying the rent two months ago and refused to move out after saying they were going to.

...yes I'm proceeding with s21 but meanwhile I still have to sort out the gas check no doubt I'm still liable even though they don't stick to their side of the bargain ... was considering blanking off the gas completely so I don't have to keep paying out for checks for non paying tenants. Was considering removing the gas fire too but think I'll leave that for now... it's harder to remove and sell which is what I think they will do with the cooker.
        Fine - but you didn't tell us all that in the first place!

Bear in mind however, that if you are looking to re-let (depending on how easy you anticipate that will be - market forces &c) - your property may be more attractive to prospective tenants with a cooker, than without. Most unfurnished props these days have fitted kitchens in which built in hobs and ovens are standard. Not worth cutting off your nose to spite your face over?

I suppose you could remove it and store it and replace when new Ts move in, but that would cost almost as much as a new cooker.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hmm. I would have said yes, you do. If the tenant viewed and took on the property with a cooker in place, then you can't suddenly remove it now. I don't think the fact that the property is "unfurnished", and certainly not the absence of an inventiry, have any bearing on the matter - eg many so-called unfurnished properties come with white goods provided.

I'd go as far as to suggest that if you do remove the cooker, it could be construed as harassment, which might compromise your reposession proceedings.

Just my non-trained opinion though - what do others reckon?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
            Hmm. I would have said yes, you do. If the tenant viewed and took on the property with a cooker in place, then you can't suddenly remove it now. I don't think the fact that the property is "unfurnished", and certainly not the absence of an inventiry, have any bearing on the matter - eg many so-called unfurnished properties come with white goods provided.

I'd go as far as to suggest that if you do remove the cooker, it could be construed as harassment, which might compromise your reposession proceedings.

I would agree Ericthelobster. Besides, a tenant who is being this obstructive is hardly likely to agree for access to remove. If you enter to do the gas cert, that's a little different (albeit the T can still refuse access if they so choose and make you jump through a few more hoops) but I would have thought that if you book a gas cert and it's permitted to go ahead by the tenant that does not allow you to remove the cooker without agreeing that or mentioning that as part of the reason for the visit at the very least.

I have a complete idiot of a tenant who is cheesing me off and I'm trying to get rid of but for my own protection I am happy to follow the law as I don't want him to be able to chuck anything back in my face (or for me to have to go to prison!).

And to the OP. NO, you can't disconnect the gas supply or remove the fire or anything else of that nature. You can only have anything disconnected/capped off if they are dangerous but your S11 landlord repairing obligations continue regardless of whether the tenant is paying rent and thus they will need to be repaired or replaced. Games of that nature were ruled out by the law along time ago. If you do such things you are likely to find yourself in deep trouble.

Comment

cooker or not?

The cooker was not in the property when the T viewed. I supplied it afterwards in goodwill, it's freestanding and could easily be removed and or replaced. In fact it's the ease of removal that is concerning me as I suspect the T will find it's monetary value too tempting.
              The T already owes me more than the amount of the deposit so I wont be able to take the value of it out of the deposit.
              Good point about the harrassment issue, I think I will find a much cheaper electric one and swap them. T can still cook and I can keep my cooker.

Thank you to all who offered advice.
              HR

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post

Comment

Apology

Sorry MTG
                my earlier response sounded a little terse. I apologise and can only offer the excuse that dealing with this situation is causing me to worry a lot.

On the cooker front. I have a T lined up for the very near future (as soon as this one can be gently removed). Taking the cooker out is a doddle as it's freestanding and storage is no problem. It is the legal position that concerns me should I be breaching some law by leaving the T without something to cook on. I've come to the conclusion that it would be circumspect to replace the cooker, albeit with something cheaper.

Many thanks for your comments.
                HR

Fine - but you didn't tell us all that in the first place!

Bear in mind however, that if you are looking to re-let (depending on how easy you anticipate that will be - market forces &c) - your property may be more attractive to prospective tenants with a cooker, than without. Most unfurnished props these days have fitted kitchens in which built in hobs and ovens are standard. Not worth cutting off your nose to spite your face over?

I suppose you could remove it and store it and replace when new Ts move in, but that would cost almost as much as a new cooker.

Comment

The cooker was not in the property when the T viewed. I supplied it afterwards in goodwill, it's freestanding and could easily be removed and or replaced. In fact it's the ease of removal that is concerning me as I suspect the T will find it's monetary value too tempting.
                  The T already owes me more than the amount of the deposit so I wont be able to take the value of it out of the deposit.
                  Good point about the harrassment issue, I think I will find a much cheaper electric one and swap them. T can still cook and I can keep my cooker.

Thank you to all who offered advice.
                  HR
                  Don't forget, an electric one will need a different power cable and switched socket, etc, not just an ordinary one. If the wiring for an electric cooker is not there already it could cost a couple of hundred.

Comment

Don't forget, an electric one will need a different power cable and switched socket, etc, not just an ordinary one. If the wiring for an electric cooker is not there already it could cost a couple of hundred.

I might be wrong here but switching the cooker is not as easy as the OP makes it sound aside from the potential wiring issue. Access to make the switch is the issue.

Unless of course the tenant happily agrees to the switch.

Comment

one problem leads to another...

There is already the correct wiring and socket for an electric cooker.

Access is going to be the issue, now I've decided not to leave the T without a cooker. It's only recently that they have decided to start not allowing me into the property.

I gather I will have to give written notice and then allow the T to tell me that the chosen time is not convenient as they did last time I tried to enter. I'll offer them the chance to pick a time but I'd put money on them chosing a time when I'm at work 140 miles away. Bother bother bother!

Comment

Originally posted by bunny View Post
                        I might be wrong here but switching the cooker is not as easy as the OP makes it sound aside from the potential wiring issue. Access to make the switch is the issue.

Unless of course the tenant happily agrees to the switch.
                        Absolutely, I agree. If T decides to be awkward, all OP can do is wait until possession, then claim back her cooker. If T has stolen it, she is in a difficult position becasue she has no inventory.

If she can prove the cooker was in the prop by some other means, she may be able to prosecute T for theft - but it is probably not worth the hassle.

How much is this cooker worth?

Comment

The action you proposed could lead to the following:-

Breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment;
                          Harrasment;
                          Breach of an implied term in the tenancy that you would continue to provide the goods with which the property has been supplied;
                          Trespass as you entered the property for a purpose not allowed under the tenancy.

Leave the gas fire alone as you could definately be done for disrepair , as under S. 11 LTA 1985 you are responsible for the installations in the dwelling for the provision of space heating. this would also be significant evidence of harrasment and breach of covenant for quiet enjoyment.

The legal position on swapping the cooker is also not clear and in that instance I would leave it alone unless the tenancy specifies that you can change appliances without the tenant's agreement.
                          Last edited by Ashley; 03-03-2009, 00:39 AM. Reason: additional notes

Comment

Access is going to be the issue, now I've decided not to leave the T without a cooker. It's only recently that they have decided to start not allowing me into the property.
                            Seems to me that you're just creating unecessary stress and aggravation for yourself. You've got enough on your plate with a non-paying, non-access-giving tenant who you're trying to evict - that's the big picture. To involve yourself in trying to enforce access in order to exchange cookers, on the off chance that the tenant pinches the first one, is just causing yourself a huge amount of unnecessary grief.

The cost of a landlord's check is peanuts in comparison to that of lost rent and eviction proceedings; furthermore, consider the cost differential in the value of the two second-hand cookers, which is the amount of money you're worried about losing there?

Comment

Got to agree with Eric the lobster on this one. You are causing yourself extra agro for nothing. If you need to get your gas safety certificate renewed then presumably the engineer will also be checking your GAS cooker and the gas fire, these will be listed on the certificate, so you have proof that the cooker was in the property at that time. Presumably you have the receipt from your purchase of the thing at the beginning of the tenancy, so should the tenant decide to pinch the cooker you would appear to have enough "proof" to show "it was 'im what done it". You really need to concentrate your efforts on getting your non-paying tenant out ASAP.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                                scooter08
                                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                                England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                                AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                                12/04/2015
                                21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
                              • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                                scooter08
                                Thanks for the reply jp....
                                21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
                                jpkeates
                                Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
                                21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
                                scooter08
                                I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
                                21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
                                scooter08
                                I pay the council tax, yes it is mortgaged. As far as I know he isn't pretending to live him and his family live in another house a few streets away....
                                21-07-2017, 18:01 PM
                              • HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
                                bald555
                                Long story short, someone I know (not close) needed money, I gave him 12 months reduced rent upfront to help him out and put a commercial lease on his HMo with right to sublet etc (my tenants).

Few months in and his money problems are worse and the bank (and others) pressuring him to sell...
                                21-07-2017, 16:58 PM
                              • Reply to HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
                                bald555
                                and yes, there is a mortgage...
                                21-07-2017, 17:44 PM
                                jpkeates
                                Harassment is way more than a breach of quiet enjoyment, there has to be a level of distress in the harassed person.

A retrospective claim for breach of quiet enjoyment is probably a non-starter - breach of quiet enjoyment is part of the kitchen sink people throw when they're claiming compensation...
                                21-07-2017, 17:43 PM
                                Wright76
                                And although as jpkeates suggests you have a right to turn them away and force a court order, this does not mean they have breached your right to quiet enjoyment.

It means you are refusing to honour your AST and the landlord Is forced to apply to court to make you legally comply. Again,...
                                21-07-2017, 17:35 PM
                              • Reply to HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
                                bald555
                                Many thanks for the reply. Yes, my company has leased the HMO in question under commercial lease but it's not registered at land registry as it's only a 12 month lease.

Tenants are friends so less of am issue as such but they'll be outside of their 6 months by the time of any would be...
                                21-07-2017, 17:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X