Letting to lodger: what Agreement form/wording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bel is right.
    An Assignment is safer than if you only "make the tenants know that you hold them responsible" which would have no legal effect at all.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your useful advice. I have found a deed of assignment of tenancy with the help of google and the university of london accomodation office.

I was worried about making contact with the departing tenant, who left under something of a thunderstorm. However, have successfully crossed that bridge. Should just be a few i's to be dotted and t's crossed between cup and lip now.

Comment

lodger but with a 6 month term

Can you have an agreement with a lodger that says they can't leave until after 6 months? My friend wants to take two lodgers in to help make ends meet but she doesn't want them to be able to leave straight away as she will be relying on the money.

I don't know much about lodgers but, I said she should be wary of giving them too many rights by accidentally creating a tenancy.

Am I right in thinking if one has a lodger, they aren't a 'tenant' and she should therefore also be wary of calling them a tenant in the agreement.
        I'm trying to raise awareness of Myotonic Dystrophy, Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) and In vitro fertilisation (IVF). Follow my PGD blog and please pass it on to any one you know who has an interest in PGD or IVF.

Comment

Yes you can sign a 6 month agreement with a lodger. However, bear in mind this basically makes them liable for the rent for this period of time. If they leave part way through, you may have a hard job persuing them for the rent if they do not leave a forwarding address.
          Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Thanks MrShed.

Anyone know where I can get a free lodger agreement? I can see plenty that you pay for but a free one would be better.
            I'm trying to raise awareness of Myotonic Dystrophy, Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) and In vitro fertilisation (IVF). Follow my PGD blog and please pass it on to any one you know who has an interest in PGD or IVF.

Comment

[QUOTE=arusha;55623]Can you have an agreement with a lodger that says they can't leave until after 6 months? [QUOTE]

So your friend is happy that the lodger can remain in the property driving her mad for that entire period, should the relationship break down?

Comment

Tenant takes in a lodger

One of my tenants of only a month or so has just sent me a letter to explain that my permission is sought to take in a lodger. In the letter the tenant accepts continuing full responsibility for upkeep, rent etc and that the lodger (woman and child) will be staying until further notice.

As it happens the woman and child have already moved in.

My question is: are there any key issues that I should address in my letter of response?

I'm actually quite cool about the whole thing, is that wise?

Comment

Tenant can have guests and not need your permission so I guess this is no different. Just don't take any rent direct from the tenants guests or you could create a tenancy with them! .. Try doing a search on guests and you may well come up with some answers xx
                  GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Ensure that the tenant knows he cannot give any rights that he does not have himself. For example, he can't promise that they can stay longer than he is allowed to.

It's actually pretty decent of him to tell you, so with luck it'll all be fine.

Comment

has my tenant now become a lodger?

When away from the country I took on 2 shorthold tenants into my only residential property. Both signed standard 6 month contracts. On returning one tenant moved out to make space for me, where I continue to live now.

Did the remaining tenant become a lodger (excluded occupier) when I moved back in? I moved in during the 6 months covered by his contract but that term has now lapsed and no new contract has been signed. Technically we share the bathroom and kitchen areas but he is never there.

I wish to serve him notice to leave and wonder whether I should treat him as a tenant or as a lodger.

Comment

If he was a tenant at the start, he cannot be demoted to 'lodger' status

Lodger status depends where your main residence was at all stages of this tenancy.

If you all lived together at the start of the tenancy (how long?) and you have not had a main residence in between, and you are now all living together again it sounds like he is your lodger.

If you did not live together at the start then it sounds like a tenancy.

If in doubt, treat him as a tenant, but as a residential LL, the tenancy is outside the housing act and you need to serve a 'notice to quit' (one months notice) and not a section 21 notice. If your tenant does not leave, you will need to get a court order for possession.
                        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

i want lodger to leave - please help!

Hi,

I am in quite a stressful situation with a lodger - but I dont know what my rights are and whether I am being fair or not. Can anyone help?

She has lived in my house for over a year, and originally we had an informal agreement over email that she stays until one or both of us give one month notice (emails now lost). She has become a friend as well as lodger so I have never worried about this informal agreement.

A month ago she flooded the house by accident - causing thousands of pounds of damage. Luckily I have insurance - but the stress of this happening and the time/effort involved in sorting out has taken its toll and I no longer want a lodger to cause the risk of anything happening again.

I explained this to her - said there was no blame involved - but I would like her to leave as soon as she could so I could dry out her bathroom, get the workmen in, and then not have any further risk of damage.

Now, a month later, she is still here - and says that by law she can stay 2 months. When I asked about the one month agreement, she claimed to have forgotten. Also, she is now 2 and a half weeks late in her rent, and has said it is the banks fault it is late when I have asked.

Do I have the right to ask her to leave now, as per our original agreement? And/or do I have the right to insist that she pays before she goes?

Thanks for your help... look forward to hearing some views/advice as I dont know what to think except that I dont want lodgers ever again!

Comment

There is certainly no law which would give her the right to being given 2 months' notice (unless you had given her a contract stating that, which you haven't). She would get that if she was a tenant; however she is a lodger and has far less security than that. A months' notice does sound perfectly normal and fair - however, you haven't given specifically her a month yet, it all sounds very woolly.

Also you are now in a situation where there's nothing in writing and it's down to her word against yours, I'm not sure where that leaves you in practice.

First off, I think you need to give her a fixed deadline in writing by which you want her out (and including pointing out the date you originally asked her to leave ASAP) - until you've done that I think your hands are somewhat tied.
                            Last edited by Ericthelobster; 03-02-2008, 14:22 PM. Reason: added a bit

Comment

Thanks for your advice... It is much appreciated.

Even though I dont have anything formally written down we both agreed on the date I asked her to leave - and she has texted me about it confirming the specfic date - because she was convinced she had a legal right to 8 weeks from then... do you think this counts for anything?

Also, as there is no formal agreement, if a tenant is allowed 8 weeks what is a lodger allowed?

Comment

AST for lodger?

If someone takes on a lodger and gives them an AST on paper (because that's all there was in WHSmith!) does the lodger have the same rights as a tenant on an AST where the landlord isn't living in the property? Or can a lodger not have an AST?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The tenant sounds like a delusional bampot. How is he going to afford a very expensive solicitor?

Do you know if the council in which the rental property is located has landlord licensing? I’m trying to figure out where he’s getting this £30k figure from....
                                  26-06-2022, 23:40 PM
                                • How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by CharlesRiver
                                  I have a professional tenant rented my house a few years ago. The tenant relied on housing benefit to pay the rent. It was a one-year fixed term AST, and the tenant refused to leave from then and declined our access to the property for inspection for many years. He damaged the house extensively and...
                                  23-06-2022, 01:48 AM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting...
                                  26-06-2022, 23:37 PM
                                • Council staying eviction needed
                                  by lostforwords
                                  My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She...
                                  26-06-2022, 14:45 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Any tips on a good one to use?
                                  26-06-2022, 22:24 PM
                                • N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Good Afternoon everyone,
                                  Its my first post on the site and probably like most first posts on here I am asking for help !
                                  Without going into too much detail my tenant has decided to stop paying his rent , after I gave him notice to leave, and ignore Section 8 and Section 21 notices sent by...
                                  24-06-2022, 13:18 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  I think I'm going to down the housing solicitor / eviction company route.
                                  Its going to cost me but this is really bringing me down now in all honesty . I've got a daughter and Mom with very serious health issues and I need to concentrate on them rather than a jerk who's taking me for a ride !...
                                  26-06-2022, 22:23 PM
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Could not agree more, but given the reluctance of the social sector to '' do the right thing'', we will always be in a battle to get them to house vulnerable people.

What a sad state of affairs....
                                  26-06-2022, 20:13 PM
                                  by gnvqsos
                                  The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems....
                                  26-06-2022, 20:10 PM
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Sad to say it but i would evict them now...... it is coming our way and when it hits the reasons you have will not qualify, as i suspect many others will and only time will show them up in this forum and the wider press.

Vulnerable individuals should really not be in the PRS, but due to...
                                  26-06-2022, 20:02 PM
                                Working...
                                X