Letting to lodger: what Agreement form/wording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a great legal mind like others on here, but here's my 2p worth.

He is a lodger. Unless there was some agreement in place (preferably in writing) then he does not have to give notice to leave so you will struggle to claim for lost rent during a notice period.

Did he give you a deposit at the beginning of his stay? If so, then this could be offset against the unpaid rent.

How will you be able to prove the damage was caused by him and not by you?

Comment

>>How will you be able to prove the damage was caused by him and not by you?

The crucial point in my view. It's a classic my-word-against-yours situation. Far from great for anybody, least of all the judge...

If you offset the deposit against the repairs, and sue him for the lost rent then I'm guessing that it might be an easier case to make in court.

Comment

He agreed, via email, to 2 months notice so i'm hoping that will be clear cut?

I video'd the bathroom and bedroom two day's after he left and so am hoping that evidence will be admissible?

Comment

Lodger ignores rules- e.g. allowed 'friend' to co-occupy

New tenant visited the property, covered basic rules in the lodging (in my house) included that guests were not permitted to stay overnight just during the day. I mentioned this specifically as she had a male accomplice (a work colleague).

She unexpectedly turned up on my doorstep and paid 1 month's rent upfront a week before moving in at the most inconvenient time (10pm). I had no agreement for her to sign - was very persistent I take the cash and she'll sign the day of moving in (3 days after).

I accepted this as reservation and a month's rent - and luckily called her back from the street to
          pick up a receipt (however did not state anything other then the amount and date)

As instructed by his new adament lodger, I cancelled a week's viewings organised by the agent.

3 Days after – The Day of Moving in - she claimed she was too busy to sign an agreement to confirm the lodging.

The Following morning - her work colleague (turned out to be her long-term boyfriend) stayed the night. She apologised for this, and still refused to sign a contact (My Fear: could become a sitting tenant).

One week later after living at our family home, she gave a 3 hour notice and moved out.

Including the period of reserving the room and the day she willingly left on her own accord - is 10 days. How much am I entitled to retain – or am I? She demands the rest back? Remember other then a verbal agreement I nor does she have anything in writing other then a small receipt (she doesn’t have a notice of terminating the Let) - the receipt mentions her name, the address and sum of money- that's it nothing more.

She threats to take me to the small claims court.

There's no accountability on her side she claims that it was her basic tenant right to have her boyfriend in our family home, and states our fridge was not working which is a blatant lie.

Does she have the right to claim the whole month's rent back - despite the loss of a month's rent I've now encountered?

Please kindly advise me.

Comment

Originally posted by Summer
            She unexpectedly turned up on my doorstep
            That was your first mistake, to let her in when you were not ready.

Please do not invite trouble by holding on to your ex-lodger's unused rent. Suggest you return it now. Choose future lodgers more carefully and stay in control of the situation at all times.

Comment

I think I agree with Poppy, although the situation stinks from your point of view. You are probably well rid of her.
              As a matter of interest, if they had wanted to rent as a couple, what would have been your feelings then?
              I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

We could barely take one on board without too much traffic in the family bathroom - let alone two people. The rent was inclusive of all bills we couldnt simply afford to keep 2 for the price of 1. As far as couples go, we wouldnt have accepted as the house is not big enough. We searched for a college or uni student - but prefered to have a nun.

Comment

I’ve received a letter in the post today she’s compiled a “Letter before Action”, she’s now demanding for all the month’s rent back, including the10 days she’d stayed at my place for and the cost of her claim which is £35 (!!).

I see no reason in this person, there is no accountability from her side for simply walking in and walking straight out at her own convenience for free. I presume it’s
                  a whole new ball game now, perhaps I should meet her head on with all guns blazing or leave the country and seek asylum elsewhere as prison food has still got a long way to go, or even better still I’ll let her take me down, at least I can peacefully ride out the recession.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Return the unused rent in a verifiable method (eg paid into her bank account, by cheque, or ask her to come to your home to receive cash and sign a receipt.)

Comment

Help! Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by notchuffed View Post
                        I video'd the bathroom and bedroom two day's after he left and so am hoping that evidence will be admissible?
                        As far as this evidence goes, all it proves is that the damage existed at the date of the video. If he denies that the damage was there when he moved out, you will need to consider how you prove that it was him who caused it, in the absence of any acceptance by him that he was responsible.

Comment

Would a witness statement from the previous occupant of the room stating the room was left in immaculate condition before the last guy moved into it, help establish this?

Comment

Not really, for the same reasons, what it was like originally is going to have no bearing if you cannot produce solid evidence that the T left it in worse condition, and the video does not really do that.
                            I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Thanks for your reply poppy.

Am I obliged to even give her back the rent she's used, she even wants the 10 days rent that she'd used to accomodated the room?

Comment

Originally posted by Summer View Post
                                Thanks for your reply poppy.

Am I obliged to even give her back the rent she's used, she even wants the 10 days rent that she'd used to accomodated the room?
                                She sounds like trouble and a bully.

If I were you, I would write a letter stating what the terms of her occupation were that were stated to her verbally eg months notice, that things have not worked between you, she quit early, although its your right to keep money as per verbal notice, you agree to return her the balance of unused rent, and if she accepts this, it is as a full settlement. When you give her the money, get her to sign and date a copy of the letter; with the text "I agree that this £x is in full sttlement of the above."
                                All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The tenant sounds like a delusional bampot. How is he going to afford a very expensive solicitor?

Do you know if the council in which the rental property is located has landlord licensing? I’m trying to figure out where he’s getting this £30k figure from....
                                  26-06-2022, 23:40 PM
                                • How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by CharlesRiver
                                  I have a professional tenant rented my house a few years ago. The tenant relied on housing benefit to pay the rent. It was a one-year fixed term AST, and the tenant refused to leave from then and declined our access to the property for inspection for many years. He damaged the house extensively and...
                                  23-06-2022, 01:48 AM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting...
                                  26-06-2022, 23:37 PM
                                • Council staying eviction needed
                                  by lostforwords
                                  My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She...
                                  26-06-2022, 14:45 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Any tips on a good one to use?
                                  26-06-2022, 22:24 PM
                                • N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Good Afternoon everyone,
                                  Its my first post on the site and probably like most first posts on here I am asking for help !
                                  Without going into too much detail my tenant has decided to stop paying his rent , after I gave him notice to leave, and ignore Section 8 and Section 21 notices sent by...
                                  24-06-2022, 13:18 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  I think I'm going to down the housing solicitor / eviction company route.
                                  Its going to cost me but this is really bringing me down now in all honesty . I've got a daughter and Mom with very serious health issues and I need to concentrate on them rather than a jerk who's taking me for a ride !...
                                  26-06-2022, 22:23 PM
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Could not agree more, but given the reluctance of the social sector to '' do the right thing'', we will always be in a battle to get them to house vulnerable people.

What a sad state of affairs....
                                  26-06-2022, 20:13 PM
                                  by gnvqsos
                                  The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems....
                                  26-06-2022, 20:10 PM
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Sad to say it but i would evict them now...... it is coming our way and when it hits the reasons you have will not qualify, as i suspect many others will and only time will show them up in this forum and the wider press.

Vulnerable individuals should really not be in the PRS, but due to...
                                  26-06-2022, 20:02 PM
                                Working...
                                X