New TDS Case Verdict

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New TDS Case Verdict

Heres a new case (I dont think its on here?). Its considers the 'rent in advance' argument rather than taking a depositl

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2009/0...eposit-honest/

Wonder if this has any impact on the RLA take two months rent rather than a deposit suggestion?

http://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/tenan...rnatives.shtml

Originally posted by Planner View Post
    Heres a new case (I dont think its on here?). Its considers the 'rent in advance' argument rather than taking a depositl

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2009/0...eposit-honest/

Wonder if this has any impact on the RLA take two months rent rather than a deposit suggestion?

http://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/tenan...rnatives.shtml

At the risk of sounding like I'm gloating, I've been making the "rent in advance is a deposit" point for bl**dy ages.

Still, notwithstanding that these cases are not binding authority, given the recent "agent personal liability/remedial compliance" case (Leeds CC), I now only need to have my arguments on "pre-07 tenancies renewed post-07" supported and I'll have the TDP full house.
    Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Have full copy of judgment that was handed down on this case on PDF if anyone wants to PM me i'll forward it on.
      Borat hope his post are some help. Borat thinks people should double check anything someone who refers to himself in third person says...

Comment

Originally posted by Borat View Post
        Have full copy of judgment that was handed down on this case on PDF if anyone wants to PM me i'll forward it on.
        You're alright, thanks. I'm still enjoyng 'War and Peace'.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Planner View Post
          Difficult to say. If understand the scheme it is this:

On the first day of the tenancy rent is payable for (a) the first month and (b)the second month. On the first day of the second month rent is payable for the third month and so on. It is established law that money paid before rent day is not rent, but a sum to be held to be applied as rent when rent day arrives. Here though we seem to have a novelty - rent payable on a date before the beginning of a period to which it relates. Not sure what a lord of appeal in ordinary would make of that.

If such a payment is a deposit then the landlord is in trouble - each payment would have to be protected! Query: would the tenant be entitled to compensation for each failure to protect?

Comment

Rent is due when the Agreement says that it is- irrespecrtive of the period to which it is ascribed.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Increasing rent
              Twohoots
              Hi - haven't been on here for several years as we have been jogging along nicely.

We have a small property which we rent out and the same tenants have been in there for nearly 6 years now. we have never increased the rent during that time. They are good tenants but I feel we ought to...
              20-02-2017, 10:26 AM
            • Reply to Increasing rent
              MdeB
              Excessive if you want to keep good tenants.
              Reasonable if you want to risk losing them, looking for new tenants, and having a void....
              24-03-2019, 22:17 PM
            • housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
              karouyou
              Hi This is my first post. The council has sent me as the landlord a letter (not a notice) saying it's inspected my property under The 2004 Housing Act and using the safely rating system have identified hazards that require my urgent attention, asking me to reply with written intentions of dealing the...
              21-03-2019, 08:28 AM
            • Reply to housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
              JK0
              You don't need an eviction company. There is plenty of help and advice here on Landlordzone with doing it yourself.
              24-03-2019, 20:39 PM
            • Reply to housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
              karouyou
              Thank you for your comments. I talked to the council and they said that because it wasn't a formal notice my section 21 is still valid. The eviction company have said they may still try and use it as a defence. I will do the repairs asap. The property has bats in the eves so I can't fill all the...
              24-03-2019, 20:16 PM
            • Reply to Increasing rent
              Twohoots
              Two years since I've been on here … can't believe that! As per my original post our tenants have now been living there for almost 8 years. In that time I have only put their rent up once by 5%. Lately there have been two very similar properties to rent near the one we own and we are renting our...
              24-03-2019, 19:54 PM
            • Discrepancies between deposit scheme papers and contract
              JohnMcClane
              I am a lodger, I asked for my deposit to be protected and the landlord agreed,

However, I have noticed the following discrepancies between my contract, the papers given to me by the landlord and the certificate given to me from DPS:

- The contract states that I take tenancy...
              24-03-2019, 00:25 AM
            • Reply to Discrepancies between deposit scheme papers and contract
              MdeB
              It may be that you are a tenant and not a lodger (but I do not have sufficient knowledge of this area).

I would suggest that you don't need to worry about it unless and until you have deposit or other problems at the end of your occupation.
              24-03-2019, 19:27 PM
            • Tenant Offering to Pay Rent in Advance
              Grim
              Hi Everyone,

I'd welcome your advice, I'm in the process of renting out a property and have been disappointed in the lack of interest from potential tenants, However, I've been approached by an EU National new to the UK ( 6 weeks ) and keen to rent the house. He is awaiting the arrival...
              21-03-2019, 08:24 AM
            • Reply to Tenant Offering to Pay Rent in Advance
              MdeB
              That is how I see it, provided agreement is worded correctly:
              • Month 1: rent paid for months 1, 2 & 3;
              • Month 2: rent paid for month 4
              • Month 3: rent paid for month 5
              • Month 4: rent paid for month 6; tenant gives required 2 months' notice
              • Month 5: no rent paid
              • Month 6: no rent paid.
              However,...
              24-03-2019, 19:13 PM
            Working...
            X