Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condensation problem in flat

Hi,

My husband and I signed a Shorthold Tenancy Agreement for a flat 3 weeks ago, and days after moving in it became apparent that there was a problem with condensation. We tried all the usual remedies but nothing seems to work and it is getting worse. I contacted the land lord who suggested some remedies and again nothing worked. It is now obvious that there has been a problem before which has been painted over. When I contacted the land lord, his first response was "your right there is a condensation problem". He suggested that he should come round to look at the weekend, which I agreed to, however now his mobile is switched off and I am unable to contact him (its now been 3 days). The condensation is now causing mould to grow and I believe its not a healthy environment to live in. I feel we have given the land lord the oppurtunity to put it right but now need to know if we are able to cancel/void the tenancy agreement due to the situation.

People have said to withold the rent and he will soon contact us but I dont want to do anything that will have a detrimental effect on us.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by Melek1979
    We tried all the usual remedies but nothing seems to work
    Please tell us what you've tried!

It's a very common issue which comes up here time and time again - eg try reading these and then come back with specific queries:
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...earchid=804482

Comment

Have you not trawled LZ, searching for the countless threads about damp and condensation?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Are you serious....your landlord has not fixed the problem in 3 days so you want to leave....

God help you if ever get involved with a Housing Trust, Council etc.

I would say 95% of Condensation problems are down to the way you are living!!!!!!!!!!
        What i write is what i think....If you need solid info PAY A SOLICITOR!!

Comment

Originally posted by starlettings View Post
          God help you if ever get involved with a Housing Trust, Council etc.
          Hi

What evidence do you have for this statement? It sounds like prejudice rather than reasoned argument to me. Which sort of undermines the advice you give, doesnt it?

Just for the record, the following is an extract from the 2007 National House Condition Survey:

"In 2007, 7.7 million homes were non-decent, just under 35 per cent of the housing stock. This included 1.1 million homes in the social sector.
          The Registered Social Landlord (RSL) stock was in the best condition and the private rented sector worst. Only 26 per cent of RSL homes were non-decent compared to 45 per cent of privately rented accommodation."

Preston

Comment

Damp & Condensation

his may help:
            http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/FAQ/in...=32&artlang=en

Comment

Here is ENLIGHTENMENT for you, courtesy of Reading Borough Council.

Read this and it will answer all your questions re condensation.

Advice on reducing condensation in your home

http://www.reading.gov.uk/Documents/...ndensation.pdf

Comment

....my new car window is not working as is should.....mmm ill ask for a new car then.........
                What i write is what i think....If you need solid info PAY A SOLICITOR!!

Comment

Originally posted by starlettings View Post
                  ....my new car window is not working as is should.....mmm ill ask for a new car then.........
                  Your car-window? Is this not a wind-up?
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Melek1979 View Post
                    Hi,

People have said to withold the rent and he will soon contact us but I dont want to do anything that will have a detrimental effect on us.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
                    I strongly advise you not to withhold the rent. Back in my early (green) days I had a tenant withhold rent because she was not happy with the sofa!! It turns out that this was a scam as they were in debt and lookig to move out. I obliged and replaced the sofa, only to then have to evict them for not paying thier rent (3 months).

These days if a tenant is late with the payment (continously), I will serve a section 8 ASAP.

P.S. There was nothing wrong with the sofa, but I was very green at the time, and thought it had to be brand new!!!

Baz

Comment

Originally posted by Bazdaa View Post
                      I strongly advise you not to withhold the rent. Back in my early (green) days I had a tenant withhold rent because she was not happy with the sofa!! It turns out that this was a scam as they were in debt and lookig to move out. I obliged and replaced the sofa, only to then have to evict them for not paying thier rent (3 months).

These days if a tenant is late with the payment (continously), I will serve a section 8 ASAP.

P.S. There was nothing wrong with the sofa, but I was very green at the time, and thought it had to be brand new!!!

Baz
                      Been thinking about this, and I think you can hold back a percentage of the rent as perhaps that room may not be habital! However YOU need to investigate this furher to ensure that you are not breaching your tenancy agreement!

Hope this helps.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X