Vetting/referencing/database/blacklist- bad tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericthelobster
    Never having (fortunately) been in this position myself...

If someone in Alien1x's position decided he definitely wanted to secure a CCJ against a non-paying tenant, despite knowing that the financial outcome would not be likely to be any better than an order for the tenant to pay 50p/ month or whatever... what would be a ballpark cost for the landlord in terms of legal/court fees etc?
    You make a good point that if it was in Alien1x's favour the tenant could plead poverty and be ordered to only pay 50p a month.The problem is that for what it cost in fees(which would outweigh the losses) would it really be worth it at the end of the day.Just looking at it realistically.I don't think a ballpoint figure could be given.A point to bear in mind is that before any proceedings could be issued an address would be needed to serve the summons.
    Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Originally posted by pms
      Would I be correct in saying that if you eventully do manage to blacklist the former tenants that you also blacklist the property.Any thoughts
      No - you would not be correct, it is a very common misconception though.

To the OP - Litigation can be expensive but you can pass all the costs onto your tenant and guarantor. Do you know what their personal circumstances are ? Presumably you thought the guarantor was a good bet financially - is he working, is the former tenant ? Really the only action worth taking is obtaining judgement and getting an attachment of earnings or possibly securing the debt on the guarantors house (if he owns it). The judge will decide how much they have to pay back based on their disposable income.

What did the guarantor's credit check look like ? If it was good they are not going to want you getting a CCJ put on it so will probably settle up before it goes that far - you would be amazed at how a county court summons focus' the mind ! It their credit check wasn't good then WTF did you take him as a gaurantor for ?

Comment

Tenant Verify

Hi all,

I'm desperately in need of advice. I'm just about to use Tenant Verify to do a comprehensive credit/reference check on my prospective tenants. I'm going away on friday for quite a while so I want to check the tenants in on Thursday. Tenant Verify say their service takes 2 working days. Is this normally the case? Or is there another referencing agency I could use where I could get quicker results?

Many thanks

Comment

Comprehensive References

A comprehensive reference check involves contacting employers and previous landlords and it gives you a more in-depth fraud analysis. These people are not always easy to contact or they do not always respond quickly so it's impossible to guarantee the checks will be completed in under 2 working days! Many times these checks can be done in under 24 hours but this cannot be guaranteed.
          However, if you are in a hurry, why not do a basic check which will give you a credit score on the individual and will confirm residence / ccjs etc and then do the follow-up reference checks yourself?

Comment

I've used Tenant Verify for their comprehensive checks on about half a dozen occasions and they've rarely met their target with my requests. As the previous poster has indicated, it's invariably delays from the people they need to contact.

Comment

Bad tenant blacklist

Me again,

Is there some form of information sharing scheme among landlords? A list of names we could consult before accepting a tenant? Has anybody thought of starting one? Or is it against the Data Protection/Privacy Whatsit Act?
              Given my current experience, I'm very keen to discriminate against non paying tenants.

Cheers

Comment

Have a look at this discussion I started some time back and I agree there really should be some sort of database.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...2923#post12923

Comment

I saw an advert somewhere re: a company that specilizes in listing potentially bad tenants. They maintain a list of court disputes and CCJ's for a starter. Can't remember what else they do.

I do know that letting agents in my specific area talk to each other about problem tenants and probably landlords as well. I imagine there is an unofficial list, probably not in writing however.
                  ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

wish there was one!

I know our referencing agency carry a tenant database so that everyone tenant they reference gets checked against this.

They are only put on this register if the agent trys to make a claim under a Rental Guarantee Insurance policy and they are in arrears.

In our town we also "share" dodgy tenants details with other agents. To be honest theres not many which is good.

Comment

Thanks CoffeeCup and Paragon for your replies.

I did look at the previous thread and it looks like there should be something more comprehensive than just credit checks. As many people said, landlords often don't take legal action because of the cost and the slim chance of recovering their money. I also have very little faith in credit reference agencies, by the way. When I was a prospective tenant, I was rung by a woman who hardly spoke any english and asked ME how much I earned. Doh. She didn't bother with the head office although I'd provided the number. My current tenant only gave the name of the company she was supposed to work for, no address, no phone number and how could the estate agent claim she passed her credit checks I still don't know. No wonder it's been a disaster. I think next time I'll just check them myself.
                      As for the rent insurance bit, I don't think I'll bother, there's probably a massive excess, limited period coverage and God knows how many exclusion clauses. Sorry if I sound grumpy, I'm just stressed out with the whole situation.

Comment

No offence meant to Poppy35!
                        I seem to have picked the incompetent letting agent who uses an equally incompetent credit check agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Phalk67 View Post
                          Thanks CoffeeCup and Paragon for your replies.

I did look at the previous thread and it looks like there should be something more comprehensive than just credit checks. As many people said, landlords often don't take legal action because of the cost and the slim chance of recovering their money. I also have very little faith in credit reference agencies, by the way. When I was a prospective tenant, I was rung by a woman who hardly spoke any english and asked ME how much I earned. Doh. She didn't bother with the head office although I'd provided the number. My current tenant only gave the name of the company she was supposed to work for, no address, no phone number and how could the estate agent claim she passed her credit checks I still don't know. No wonder it's been a disaster. I think next time I'll just check them myself.
                          As for the rent insurance bit, I don't think I'll bother, there's probably a massive excess, limited period coverage and God knows how many exclusion clauses. Sorry if I sound grumpy, I'm just stressed out with the whole situation.

I agree with you, All insurance companies want to take your money very quick and fast but to pay out is simply a nightmare all sorts of clauses and what have you, thire excuse, to protect against fraudlent claims.

Comment

Anyone used Tenant Verify ?

Have just been completing a basic online search on tenant verify site. am bit confused as one of the questions says - student let ?
                            The tenant im doing the search on is a student but its not primarily a student let property.the other tenants work. does anyone know what this question means ? are they talking about whether tenant is student or the property being a student let ? hope that makes sense.
                            Have tried calling tenant verify but keep getting answer phone.
                            Thanks

Alidee

Comment

what site isit??

Comment

www.tenantverify.co.uk

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X