Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much was it?

Comment

I haven't used a tenant screening company yet but I would most certainly be asking the tenant to pay for it. All letting agents charge the tenants. You could end up spending a fortune if you had to screen a large number.

Comment

Tenant Checks

You don't have to look far to find the cost of tenant checks, just click the link: www.tenantverify.co.uk
        There are many organisations offering this service all for very similar fees, and generally all offering a good service. Like anything you tend to get what you pay for - the cheapest is not always best - though there are sometimes exceptions to this rule?
        It never fails to amaze me that some property owners are prepared to hand over assets valued in the hundreds of thousands of pounds to, in effect, total strangers without checking even the basics, without an application form and with the cheapest agreement they can find!
        Go to your bank and just see the hurdles you have to jump if you try to borrow this kind of money!
        You should always have your tenant complete a good Tenancy Application form: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/pdf/application.pdf
        This ensures identity which is vital these days, as well as giving fool proof tracing information should they skip owing money. People have passed credit worthyness checks using false identities so be wary.
        Personally, I never charge tenants for these checks - I feel it makes you look a bit of a cheapskate landlord if you have to ask an ingoing tenant for £15! I think it's a matter of getting things in proportion.

Comment

tenant verify

I have found giving prospective tenants the 'Landlordzone' application form, complete with the authorisation to make a credit check seems to weed out quite a lot of possible undesirable tenants, as you never hear from some of them again!
          I now also specify in my advert that a credit check will be made along with the usual ref and bond required. Seems to thin out the initial telephone applications even more!

Comment

UK-wide blacklist/register (bad landlords/tenants/Agents)?

Hi,

I have a situation where the former tenanat owes rent and caused some damage, and has left the proprety. Both the tenanat and garentor are not responding.

So I have to except my loss, as it seem that the small claims proceedure will be costly to enforce, and I have to settle for the held deposit in lieu of rent which is less then what they owe me.

So how can I get them on bad credit list or somthing?

Landlords should be be aware of these people, the letting agent was just as bad for not being supportive/proactive they just was not too bothered.

Regards
            Alien1x

Comment

The only way of getting either of them on a credit blacklist is if someone is running one informally for your area, or for the national credit bureau such as Equifax and Experian, you would have to sue and obtain a judgment which they would then pick up from the Register of CCJ's and will effectively blacklist their names for six years.

Comment

I think i'd put more effort into trying to write and spell correctly rather than chasing rainbows!

As said above, the only way to proceed is through the courts.

Comment

Originally posted by ALIEN1X
                  Hi,

Landlords should be be aware of these people, the letting agent was just as bad for not being supportive/proactive they just was not too bothered.

Regards
                  Alien1x
                  Hi Alien1X,

Can you be kind enough to say what area you are and the name of the agents so that all other L/L in the area can be sure not to go near such agents. I have had such an experince and know how it feels when your Esate Agent that is supposed to act simply does not bother because they have already taken your money for the service they offered

Comment

Hi,

Do not think I can name and shame giving names on this forum as it is not correct behaviour on my part, but have to take advsie on the obove post by'davidjohnbutton'.

All I can say they are ARLA approved, base all around the UK (could be a franchise) and make all sorts of promises.I have to chase them all the time for updates on recovering rent instead of them keeping me informed at all times as promised.

My main concern is trying to get the former tenant + Garentor on some kind of black list.

However, I can't go for CCJ,I have been advsied its not worth the hassle. I could face further costs then what I'm trying to recover.

I do know they have not paid council tax and baliffs have been round. I have seen a court summonds at the property but not in the tenants name?

Regards
                    ALIEN1X

Comment

Hi,

My main concern is trying to get the former tenant + Garentor on some kind of black list.

However, I can't go for CCJ,I have been advsied its not worth the hassle. I could face further costs then what I'm trying to recover.

I do know they have not paid council tax and baliffs have been round. I have seen a court summonds at the property but not in the tenants name?

Regards
                      ALIEN1X
                      Would I be correct in saying that if you eventully do manage to blacklist the former tenants that you also blacklist the property.Any thoughts
                      Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Can I actually do this? As I do not want to get into any trouble.

Would like some tips in how to achive this, difficult with out CCJ etc.

The tenant payed no rent since Jan 2006 and left Apr 2006 + careless damages which was difficult to claim for.

This tenant was clever, as I could tell that the person has done this before.

Anyway I have given a few tips who the agent could be....see previous post.

Comment

Can I actually do this? As I do not want to get into any trouble.

Would like some tips in how to achive this, difficult with out CCJ etc.

The tenant payed no rent since Jan 2006 and left Apr 2006 + careless damages which was difficult to claim for.

This tenant was clever, as I could tell that the person has done this before.

Anyway I have given a few tips who the agent could be....see previous post.
                          It is hard to advise on what to do.Having read the thread again you seem to be caught up in a"Catch 22" situation.If you go to court you run the risk of still losing out as it is your word against the tenants(and I don't say it in a bad way).It's possible if you did catch up with the tenant who know's he/she could have declared themself bankrupt so obviously you would lose out there.If you where using an agent it's quite possible that some liability has arisen there.Have you contacted the agent for a forwarding address etc.I do sympathize as it is a difficult position you are finding yourself in.Just trying to look at all the angles.
                          Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Well,

Its all comming to an end soon, its all sod law,we all go thru some losses.

I'm now thinking of selling my propety? Just don't want the hassle like most landlords go thru. Very stressfull I find it, but normal for others.

My plan is to re-invest the sale- into a bigger/better family home, but means no rental income which is not my main income just investment on the side.

Good to Invest in property/Land for appreciation value- but not rent....what most developers do.

Comment

Never having (fortunately) been in this position myself...

If someone in Alien1x's position decided he definitely wanted to secure a CCJ against a non-paying tenant, despite knowing that the financial outcome would not be likely to be any better than an order for the tenant to pay 50p/ month or whatever... what would be a ballpark cost for the landlord in terms of legal/court fees etc?

Comment

Buy the way agents will never give a forwarding address....data protection act.....tenants are protected, again sods law.

On my AST it has the address of the garentor, but as a fully managed property all contact has to be via the agent. I don't want breach rules by going direct to the garentor.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X