Deposit and utility bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit and utility bills

Hi, How does one check that the bills and council tax has been pain prior to returning the deposit? I can't call the utility companies as they would not give me account information, and the tenant would like his depost back?
    Many thanks for your help.

Originally posted by data View Post
    Hi, How does one check that the bills and council tax has been pain prior to returning the deposit? I can't call the utility companies as they would not give me account information, and the tenant would like his depost back?
    Many thanks for your help.
    I assume you meant 'paid' rather than 'pain'?! It is usually up to the tenant to provide evidence (to you) of this. T must ask utility companies for their account statement showing that the account has been paid up and closed. Then you can authorise the release of the deposit, if that is the agreement you have come to. Technically it should not matter to you whether T has paid utility bills or not, but in practice some LLs do arrange to pay the final bills and deduct from deposit with T's agreement, to avoid endlessly being contacted by utility companies.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

as a landlord are you liable for any of these unpaid bills as long as they are in the Ts name?

Comment

Originally posted by VikG View Post
        as a landlord are you liable for any of these unpaid bills as long as they are in the Ts name?

No. The person(s) whose name(s) appear on the account must remain liable for the debt, even if they move out of the property. It is up to the utility company to chase them for the payment, although you may need to prove to UC that the tenancy has ended (show them copy of tenancy agt.)

It is in your interest to ensure you have a contact address for the tenant after they have left your property - you may need it for your own purposes, and it helps to get the UCs off your back if you tell them where the T is. Most tenancy agreements have clause whereby T agrees to let you do this.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

final bills

I agree with the above. I find that simple clause in the agreement saying that copy of the paid final bills should be submitted to the Landlord etc. Al ough the debt would remain in the tenant's name, the property can be "black listed" by the utility co's, therefore problem for the Landlord in the long run.

Comment

All you need to you is phone the utility & council up and state you are the L/L of ------------ the tenant Mr------------- moved out on ----------- the meter readings are ---------------- the tenants new address is -------------

JOB DONE

As long as the bills were in the tenants name you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by MSB View Post
              I agree with the above. I find that simple clause in the agreement saying that copy of the paid final bills should be submitted to the Landlord etc. Al ough the debt would remain in the tenant's name, the property can be "black listed" by the utility co's, therefore problem for the Landlord in the long run.
              Properties are not Black listed, Its an Urban Myth. The debt belongs to the tenant and not the property. If a debt does appear on someone elses credit file it is a breach of the Data Protection Act.

OP you cannot withhold the deposit on the basis of Bills not being paid. Clause in AST or not. Tenant could sue you for return of deposit.
              GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
                Properties are not Black listed, Its an Urban Myth. The debt belongs to the tenant and not the property. If a debt does appear on someone elses credit file it is a breach of the Data Protection Act.

OP you cannot withhold the deposit on the basis of Bills not being paid. Clause in AST or not. Tenant could sue you for return of deposit.
                Yes, on reflection, I must agree with justaboutsane. I suppose the only way LL can withold deposit money for bills is if T still agrees to that at the time of the deposit release, for his/her convenience's sake. For example, we had an overseas student who went back to Australia without having established how much she owed for utilities, but was honest and didn't want to leave debts. So we settled the bills and sent her the receipts plus what remained from her deposit.

And I agree about the property not being 'blacklisted' as well. Apart from anything else, once they know a different tenant is in residence, the profit-driven utility companies are hardly going to refuse to sell them energy, etc. are they?

Comment

We had a property where the T ran up very big elecy bill to the utility co so the co fitted a pay as you go one (without our knowledge) set at a higher rate to claw back the arrears.
                  The T then did a runner. The L/L doesnt like his properties having those type of meters and wanted it changed back. The utility co wouldnt do it and their reason was because that property had a history (the last tenants) of not paying the bills and running up debts.

So though i agree a property doesnt get credit blacklisted it may get blacklisted by the utility co.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
                    We had a property where the T ran up very big elecy bill to the utility co so the co fitted a pay as you go one (without our knowledge) set at a higher rate to claw back the arrears.
                    The T then did a runner. The L/L doesnt like his properties having those type of meters and wanted it changed back. The utility co wouldnt do it and their reason was because that property had a history (the last tenants) of not paying the bills and running up debts.

So though i agree a property doesnt get credit blacklisted it may get blacklisted by the utility co.
                    In that case surely the utility company was acting illegally in fitting the meter without the permisison of the property owner, and could be challenged in court over their action.

Comment

I had a situation where i had a gas wall heater removed by an registered gas fitter and then the meter was locked in the off position by way of a mechanical lock fitted to the meter by the gas company (british Gas)as I went to storage heating so as not to have to get gas safety certificates each year I thought job done .then about two years later I was told by the tenant that the gas company had been round and taken the meter out (without my agreement)there was no charge for doing this but if I want to install cental heating etc in the future I will have to pay for the meter to be re fitted Can they do this .take it out without property owners permision and charge to put it back again Lavy

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Ending Joint Tenancy & Agency Fees
                        by Darkside
                        Just thought I'd update this and summarise. Thanks for all replies so far and apologies if what I am saying is confusing (some of it doesn't really make sense to me either).
                        Our previous FTA ended on 19-09-2020 between myself and two others (joint tenancy). On the 20-09-2020, one of the others...
                        01-10-2020, 08:06 AM
                      • Ending Joint Tenancy & Agency Fees
                        by Darkside
                        Hi everyone,

I've already found a great deal of useful information on this forum so many thanks to all these knowledgable posters!

I entered into a joint fixed term tenancy agreement with two others. The fixed term runs for 12 months and the wording in case it helps is 'The...
                        06-09-2020, 08:05 AM
                      • Reply to Boiler repair - tenant checked into hotel
                        by tatemono
                        I think you've done all you can in the situation including what many would not in offering your own facilities. I think, given the T's circumstances she would have been in her right to argue for some reduction in rent due to the inconvenience of not having all that she paid for. Perhaps you could negotiate...
                        01-10-2020, 07:51 AM
                      • Boiler repair - tenant checked into hotel
                        by tedcbe
                        Hi I have a tenant who has checked into a hotel due to the fact that the boiler broke down and says she will reduce the amount in the next month’s rent.
                        I have never agreed for her to check into a hotel in the first place.
                        She reported there is an issue with the heating on Sunday night...
                        30-09-2020, 22:30 PM
                      • Reply to Tenant moves his girlfriend in
                        by tatemono
                        That's the only thing we've ever done when partners move in... based on advice on these forums I should add!...
                        01-10-2020, 07:46 AM
                      • Tenant moves his girlfriend in
                        by Hollywood
                        Hi all, I've searched for similar thread but didn't succeed.
                        My Tenant of 14 months, now on a SPT, has moved his girlfriend in. I'm ok with arrangement, it was mentioned by him when he first moved in but they split and nothing happened until now. He has been a good tenant so far & kindly...
                        30-09-2020, 14:12 PM
                      • Reply to Deposit Protection Rules?
                        by jase222
                        There was a case in Bristol similar where the judge rule that the landlord was right to give the original tenant the pi only and didn't need to for a later tenant but I know there was other info about the case, worth no win no fee tho
                        01-10-2020, 07:12 AM
                      • Deposit Protection Rules?
                        by Nips
                        Hi all ex tenant here, hoping someone can help as I can't find a lot of concrete advice online. Basically, I ended a very stressful tenancy in Aug 2019. There was a lot of back and forth, unclear info, and formal complaints, plus at the end of the tenancy they scalped us with deposit deductions. Just...
                        30-09-2020, 17:43 PM
                      • Reply to Deposit Protection Rules?
                        by MW1985
                        It is worth seeking with a no win no fee firm in this scenario. I would offer my opinion to say that the LA were remiss in not providing you with the deposit information. How were you to know the details contained within the Prescribed Info?
                        It sounds as if some short cuts were taken by the...
                        01-10-2020, 06:05 AM
                      • Reply to Rent arrears recovery from mentally disabled ex-tenant
                        by nukecad
                        LOL, do you not read the news (or do you skip over anything disability/benefit related)?.

"Everyones a scrounger" is endemic in the benefits system, from government ministers to jobcentre staff.

Here's a particular telling case from last year. - If the DWP employee...
                        01-10-2020, 05:14 AM
                      Working...
                      X