Landlord not helping with mold problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord not helping with mold problems.

Hi Everyone,

I'm renting a flat and have a landlord who just doesn't care about repairs and I wanted to gather some educated opinions on the matter since I am really not so knowledgeable on these matters.

Basically, we have a mold problem in the bathroom - when we moved into the place, there was some really nasty linoleum covering the bathroom floor which obviously was not laid down well because it was constantly letting water in and mold was festering and growing beneath it. I took a photo and emailed it to the letting agent as well as a description of the problem. THey then forwarded to the landlord (this was July '08) and absolutely nothing happend.

After awhile the smell of rot and mold got increasingly worse and was affecting the entire flat. We mentioned it again to the letting agent who passed it on to the landlord - this was about 2 weeks later and nothing was done about it. We ended up having to remove the linoleum ourselves and dispose of it and put down a temporary flooring at our own cost. This helped slightly and the smell of mold subsided a bit, but not completely and we didn't have proper flooring anymore. The next day I emailed the letting agent and informed them, and he let the landlord know and yet again we didn't receive any support.

This happened about 3 or 4 more times and each time the same story was repeated. Eventually a 'community' plumber contacted us because he wanted to investigate a leak in the flat below ours and this was apparently caused by our bathtub having bad seals. I informed the letting agent, and he let the landlord know and hey presto he decided to ask his own plumber (his 'guy') come seal the bathroom - we also mentioned the flooring problem again and the landlord said it would all be taken care of. He also asked us to contact him directly, and not go through the letting agent.

The plumber came, sealed the bath and told us that he didn't do floors and that was that. Still stuck with the same smelly moldy floor problem. The landlord is aware that the problem hasn't been fixed.

Fast forward to now (Feb '09) and I am getting increasingly dispondent with this situation so my question is - what are my options?
    Ideally I would like to be able to cancel the lease, receive 100% of my deposit and then wave two fingers in my landlords face but is this realistic?

Originally posted by Gaggle View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm renting a flat and have a landlord who just doesn't care about repairs and I wanted to gather some educated opinions on the matter since I am really not so knowledgeable on these matters.

Basically, we have a mold problem in the bathroom - when we moved into the place, there was some really nasty linoleum covering the bathroom floor which obviously was not laid down well because it was constantly letting water in and mold was festering and growing beneath it. I took a photo and emailed it to the letting agent as well as a description of the problem. THey then forwarded to the landlord (this was July '08) and absolutely nothing happend.

After awhile the smell of rot and mold got increasingly worse and was affecting the entire flat. We mentioned it again to the letting agent who passed it on to the landlord - this was about 2 weeks later and nothing was done about it. We ended up having to remove the linoleum ourselves and dispose of it and put down a temporary flooring at our own cost. This helped slightly and the smell of mold subsided a bit, but not completely and we didn't have proper flooring anymore. The next day I emailed the letting agent and informed them, and he let the landlord know and yet again we didn't receive any support.

This happened about 3 or 4 more times and each time the same story was repeated. Eventually a 'community' plumber contacted us because he wanted to investigate a leak in the flat below ours and this was apparently caused by our bathtub having bad seals. I informed the letting agent, and he let the landlord know and hey presto he decided to ask his own plumber (his 'guy') come seal the bathroom - we also mentioned the flooring problem again and the landlord said it would all be taken care of. He also asked us to contact him directly, and not go through the letting agent.

The plumber came, sealed the bath and told us that he didn't do floors and that was that. Still stuck with the same smelly moldy floor problem. The landlord is aware that the problem hasn't been fixed.

Fast forward to now (Feb '09) and I am getting increasingly dispondent with this situation so my question is - what are my options?
    Ideally I would like to be able to cancel the lease, receive 100% of my deposit and then wave two fingers in my landlords face but is this realistic?

No, it's not realistic to expect to be able to terminate your tenancy. The flat would have to be certified uninhabitable by an EHO to warrant that.

However, you have been extraordinarily patient with your LL and you would at this stage be justifed in doing the following. Write to him advising that unless he gives you a timescale for the repairs to be effected and a new flooring laid, you will get three quotes yourself for the work and instruct the best value tradesman after 14 days from the date of your letter. You will withold sufficient rent to pay for the work.

Then do it. Keep all paperwork relating to this issue carefully, including a written record of any communication with LL/LA.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X