12 month contract coming to an end?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 12 month contract coming to an end?

    We have signed a 12 month contract on a flat. We are now in the 10th month of that contract.

    The contract states that we must give two months notice to move out.

    Does this mean we have to give 2 months notice now, or can we just move out at the end of the 12 month contract that we signed?

    Does the 2 months notice only apply if we stay here beyond 12 months without signing a new contract?

  • #2
    You could leave on the last day of the contract without giving notice if you wish but it would be better to let the LL know that you intend to leave. If you go into a periodic tenancy then you need to give only one month's notice, to the end of a rental period, the LL would have to give you two month's notice.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for the quick reply.

      Just a little confused where the 2 month notice comes into a 12 month contract.

      We will give the LL notice that we do not wish to renew the contract.

      Comment


      • #4
        Within the contract the LL can lay down conditions, when it becomes periodic then statutory law takes over, and that says 'one month for tenants, two months for LLs'
        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

        Comment


        • #5
          ok, thanks so much.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jta View Post
            Within the contract the LL can lay down conditions, when it becomes periodic then statutory law takes over, and that says 'one month for tenants, two months for LLs'
            Not quite. L still must serve Notice according to S.21 even during fixed term if he wishes to end the fixed term. I say this as it might confuse the OP otherwise.
            The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Now I'm confused again.

              We don't wish to renew the fixed term, just move out at the end of it.

              But with less than two months to go and the contract stating two months notice, do we have to give two months notice which would take us over the twelve months, or can we move at the end of the twelve months?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nobodyanybody View Post
                Now I'm confused again.

                We don't wish to renew the fixed term, just move out at the end of it.

                But with less than two months to go and the contract stating two months notice, do we have to give two months notice which would take us over the twelve months, or can we move at the end of the twelve months?
                No you don't have to give any notice if you leave on (or before) the last day of your twelve month tenancy. You can just walk away. It is a courtesy to inform the LL, but not a legal requirement.

                Your LL, on the other hand, does have to give you two months' notice (if he is the one wanting the tenancy to end, rather than you).

                And if you stayed beyond the twelve months (although you don't intend to, I know), then you too would have to give one month's notice.

                It is my understanding that a LL cannot write a clause into an AST contract to require a T to give two months' notice before the end of the fixed term. Have I got that wrong?
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  It is my understanding that a LL cannot write a clause into an AST contract to require a T to give two months' notice before the end of the fixed term.
                  Yes, that's correct.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you all.

                    Comment

                    Latest Activity

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X