Housemate has swapped rooms without my approval.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housemate has swapped rooms without my approval.

Hi guys,

I'm currently in a lease, which I signed in July 2008, the term ends in July 2009, with an 8 month "Early determination" clause (included in quotes below). The lease is signed with all of the housemates on one contract. However I have a few problems...

I went away for a month over Christmas and whilst I was away my house mate decided that he no longer liked the small room which he chose in the first place, moved my stuff into that room and moved his stuff into my room. I am now back and I cannot live in this room as I am a university student and need space to do my work.

I've asked him to move back into that room, but he has refused and has said that he will never move. I offered to compromise and said that he could have the room after I had finished my degree (in a couple of months) but he refused that - so I think I have been more than reasonable.

As a result I wish to terminate my contract, and am looking at any way possible. I've spoken to a few people and they have suggested:
    1. Use the early determination clause and provide notice of my wish to vacate as of 2 months from today. This would be ideal, however as all 3 of us are on the same lease do we all need to agree to vacate, or can I individually decide to vacate and leave them with the lease?
    2. Give my wish to vacate to the other tenants and the property manager, pay up for 2 months and then stop paying - leaving the outstanding rent for the other house mates. Is this legal?
    3. Find someone to let my room and have their name put into the lease and mine removed. Going to be hard because it is now a small room I am trrying to lease!!

Please help!! I need to get out as I can't live there and it's costing me nearly 700 pounds per month to be somewhere I can't live!

EARLY DETERMINATION
    12.1 The Tenant may end the Term by giving to the Landlord not less than two
    calendar months prior notice in writing to that effect such notice not to expire
    earlier than the 7th day of March 2009 and upon expiry of such notice the Tenant
    shall give the Landlord vacant possession of the Property and the Term shall
    end
    12.2 The Landlord may end the Term by giving to the Tenant not less than two
    calendar months prior notice in writing to that effect and for the avoidance of
    doubt such notice may be by way of notice given pursuant to Section 21 of the
    Housing Act 1988 where the Tenancy created by this Agreement is an Assured
    Shorthold Tenancy within the meaning of that Act such notice not to expire
    earlier than the 7th day of March 2009 and upon expiry of such notice the Tenant
    shall give the Landlord vacant possession of the Property and the Term shall
    end
    12.3 Rent under this Agreement accrues on a daily basis notwithstanding that it is
    paid monthly. If this Agreement is determined on the expiry of the Term, the final
    instalment of rent payable by the Tenant will normally be the same as the
    previous instalments. However, if this Agreement is determined early pursuant to
    a notice under this Clause 12, the amount of the final instalment may be more
    than the previous instalments to ensure that the Tenant has paid the correct
    number of days’ rent for the period of the Tenant’s occupation of the Property.
    12.4 For the purpose of this Clause notice shall be treated as given only from the time
    of actual receipt by the party to whom it is addressed or his agents
    Thanks guys

I know this is not helpful, but I would have chucked all his stuff out of the window and moved back in to the room I had rented in the first place.

Where is the landlord in all this??
    Mrs Jones
    I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

I'm contacting the property manager today to get her input. I don't think I could kick him out of his room... He is a well built bloke and I'm a girl. My boyfriend is away and can't help.

Property manager has said that I have to find someone else or get all three to drop out.

Comment

Jeffrey will probably say that before the fixed term ends, all tenants are required to activate the brake clause; you cannot do it alone.

Your squabble is an internal affair and not up to the LL, although you could allow him to talk to the tenant but he wont have any authority. You could remove the other guys belongings while he is out and reclaim your room. But this could lead to escalation.

You could ask permission from the LL to put a lock on your door after you move back in. If the other guy broke it down, as you are jointly and severally liable for damage to the property you could end up paying for the damage to the LL, but you would be free to sue the other tenant after if it was his fault.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

I just find it unbelievable that he should be allowed to bully you in this way and the property manager just washes her hands of the situation. Tell her you have decided to take legal advice on the matter and see if that helps!

I have no experience of letting to students (or of renting as one) but this cannot be legal. I have to say that I am only 5ft 2in and 60+ but I am frightening when angry, and I would have been SERIOUSLY angry in this situation. Wish I could be more helpful.

I hope some of the more experienced people on here are able to advise you.
          Mrs Jones
          I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Are you a student? Is he a student? Was the accomodation listed by the Accommodation Office? If so go to the college and complain...

Comment

I am a student, he is not, neither is the other house mate.. Wasn't listed as student accomodation, we found it privately.

Comment

As it's a single letting of the whole house, both/all of joint tenants form a combined "tenant" party. There is no contract amongst them: only a Tenancy Agreement between L of the one part and them of the other part. So the room distribution is irrelevant to the tenancy, and the other guy's unilateral action gives you no rights against L- certainly not re termination during the fixed term.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting a flat to a company
                  Raiden328i
                  In the small block were I live the guy below me in the shop me and my wife rent to him wants one of the flats next door which is now empty. He says he wants to stick his workers in it and I am just wondering how it works or if you can do it seeing as you have to register the deposit etc?
                  21-07-2017, 14:02 PM
                • Reply to Renting a flat to a company
                  MrShed
                  *** UNHELPFUL POST ALERT ***

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen on this forum posts like this. Why would you consider going into business with someone who you dont trust due to previous issues? Walk away.

To answer slightly mroe definitively, you cant have a tenancy...
                  21-07-2017, 14:19 PM
                • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                  MrShed
                  I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                  20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                  jjlandlord
                  The ones I have mentioned all explicitly state that they are compliant with Privacy Shield.

I mean, as said and repeated, if you are a cloud data provider in the EU and a minimum serious then your service complies with EU law...

Beyond that, they cannot check and be responsible...
                  21-07-2017, 13:54 PM
                  jpkeates
                  The only popular (used by real people routinely) cloud supplier who claims compliance is Microsoft for Office 365 storage (since 2014).
                  None of the other suppliers, as far as I can find out, claim to be compliant - although it's fudged on most of their "help" pages.

I am...
                  A data storage strategy is important because digital storage media are inherently unreliable and all file formats and physical storage media will ultimately become obsolete.
                  21-07-2017, 13:44 PM
                  jjlandlord
                  Read my comments again... Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Privacy Shield has only been mentioned in relation to compliance with current rules.

As said, I'm sure providers will update their operations to comply with the GDPR,...
                  21-07-2017, 13:33 PM
                  MrShed
                  I feel that GDPR is being misunderstood here (which is common).

Privacy Shield is one tick box (of many) towards GDPR compliance. It allows the "transfer" of data outside of the EU jurisdiction.

However, it doesnt (for example) address the needs for the Data Controller...
                  21-07-2017, 13:25 PM
                  tatemono
                  backblaze is one such "serious" provider... and yet it doesn't let you choose....
                  21-07-2017, 13:15 PM
                  jjlandlord
                  It currently allows to send data to the US legally. As said, if your provider either keeps the data in the EU or complies with Privacy Shield then there is no problem.

I have no doubt that storage providers will adapt to the GDPR so as to continue doing business legally in the EU. Landlords...
                  21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                  jpkeates
                  I was responding to this point.

And said

Many landlords store data on their phones, laptops and PCs.
                  They don't have a data strategy in place, they just have documents and files that hold personal data.
                  Those are often connected to a cloud service automatically...
                  21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                Working...
                X