Need to Break Fixed Term Tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Break Fixed Term Tenancy

We are tenants of a flat in a block of 6 but have always had difficulty with excessive noise from neighbours in the night (coming home drunk, slamming doors, shouting, karaoke etc). My husband and I now both have chronic illnesses and he cannot cope any longer with the lost sleep and stress caused by this problem. Do we have good grounds to break our fixed term agreement early and will we still have to pay whatever penalty the agents demand or is there a way of getting round that on grounds of hardship or health? The agents by the way have never fixed the lights which were broken when we moved in last June or followed through on repairs and cleaning in communal areas. Have they broken the contract?

(Annoyingly I cannot find our copy of the agreement but it seemed pretty standard)

Second question - Any advice on finding landlords who will be happy to let to a couple who, for the moment, are reliant on benefits? There seems to be a lot of prejudice out there.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me!

You (T) cannot unilaterally terminate a fixed-term tenancy still running. You'd not want L to do that, either, were it not for your local problems.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
      mandm
      This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
      Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
      I served the...
      21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
    • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
      mariner
      It was the situation predicted by some Judges et al when it was first proposed that the full Penalty would be awarded to the T and not the Exchequer.
      22-07-2017, 01:16 AM
      JK0
      I agree. It's almost at the level of scandal as the people claiming cash by pretending they were ill on holiday. In that case, the Spanish Hotels have told tour operators they won't be doing all inclusive holidays any more.

Therefore, I suggest landlords take a page out of their book, and...
      21-07-2017, 22:22 PM
      mandm
      Letter sent with the evidence attached.
      Slightly off topic, it seems there this deposit protection appears to have gathered conflicting views.
      I would have thought that the purpose of the legislation was the protection of T's money, which most law-abiding landlords do but it seems that its...
      21-07-2017, 21:20 PM
    • Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
      Pickle135
      Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
      08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
    • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
      Pickle135
      Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
      21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
    • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
      scooter08
      Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
      England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
      AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
      12/04/2015
      21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
    • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
      scooter08
      Thanks for the reply jp....
      21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
      jpkeates
      Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
      21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
      scooter08
      I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
      21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
    Working...
    X