Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T moves out before term - no lease agreement

HI.
    I'm renting a room from a girl who's signed a lease with landlord. I didn't signed any lease agreement nor with her nor landlord- i just paid 150 quids refundable deposit. Now i want to move out as the situation is ridiculous - i'm paying 235 quids + about 100 gas and electricity ( we're living in 3 in this flat) and the temperature in my room/bathroom and kitchen is around 10 degrees. Am i oblige to give her a month notice or just leave the property and left deposit for her?
    I'm living there from sept 2008. many thanks for replies

Analysis
    1. It wasn't too wise to pay the girl (X) without knowing what your status would be- and with nothing in writing!
    2. I assume that L let the flat to X who sub-let to you.
    3. Does X still occupy? If so, she is probably an Assured Shorthold Tenant but you aren't. From your point of view, X is a resident landlord. That takes your situation outside the Housing Act 1988.
    4. Did X obtain consent from L for the sub-letting to you? If not, she is in breach of her Tenancy Agreement with L.
    5. If X occupies, anyway, you have no security of tenure AT ALL. Sorry!
    6. But, equally, you can leave at the drop of a hat. Absence of rules works both ways!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for quick reply.

Yes L let the flat to X, she is still occupying the flat ( we are all students).
      I just want to move out as soon as possible without any consequences ( as being taken into a court, or paying next month rent) i dont even want deposit i just want to live somewhere else where's normal "home temperature" around 19 degrees
      we didnt signed any lease but she (X) sent me some rules on my email address before - thats all.

Comment

So move out of her icebox flat.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

thank you so much. will do this tomorrow without hesitation

Comment

Originally posted by silv20 View Post
            thank you so much. will do this tomorrow without hesitation
            And if you have proof that you paid it to her, put in a small claims court claim for the £150 deposit she owes you.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• NTQ during fixed term?
              vpltd
              Hi,
              Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
              (A residential let in England.)
              VPL.
              11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              jpkeates
              Notice to quit is pretty well defined, "surrender" is not, so while that list looks complete, it is in fact not.

For a tenant to surrender a tenancy, there should be an offer of surrender and the landlord has to accept that offer.

If s21 notice is served and a tenant...
              21-08-2017, 09:50 AM
            • End of student tenancy
              mkgirl
              Hi

my Daughter shared a house last year with 4 strangers as she didn't get in to halls. It's been a bit of a nightmare as the 2 lads were very disrespectful with regards to cleanliness, having people over and paying towards bills. She came home a lot and i may came home for the summer as...
              20-08-2017, 17:29 PM
            • Reply to End of student tenancy
              jpkeates
              There's only (legally) one tenant in a joint tenancy ("who" is made up of the five occupants all of whom are liable for all of the obligations of the tenant), so yes, the badly maintaining students will be subsidised by the better behaved students.

The "Lead Tenant"...
              21-08-2017, 09:17 AM
            • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
              james99
              Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
              16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
            • Reply to Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
              leaseholder64
              Most head leases for flats forbid drying within the grounds but outside the flat, so requiring drying outside the property means an extended dry in the laundrette, so you if you want to impose such a rule, you should probably ban washing machines as well.

(Where I live, a common breach...
              21-08-2017, 09:16 AM
            • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
              jjlandlord
              The Act clearly states what a s.21 notice does, which is nothing apart from allowing the landlord to go to court.

I have just done so.

If a s.21 does nothing then the tenant may only end the tenancy by surrender or notice to quit. Both of which are very well documented...
              21-08-2017, 09:08 AM
            • Reply to End of student tenancy
              mkgirl
              Sadly all on one joint tenancy. We've learnt the hard way never to do this again! To be fair the lead tenant process was never explained, they just said someone had to be lead tenant!...
              21-08-2017, 09:05 AM
            • Can Mrs T change locks?
              Berlingogirl
              Mr and Mrs T are splitting up. Mrs T is looking for a new place before giving notice to LL. Mrs T is going to give notice to LL then move immediately to new place. Mr T has mental health issues and verbally intimidates and bullies Mrs T so she needs to get out before he can start on her.

19-08-2017, 07:32 AM
            • Reply to Can Mrs T change locks?
              jjlandlord
              She won't end up paying more rent than she is now and it is up to her to end the tenancy....
              21-08-2017, 08:58 AM
            Working...
            X