Benefit cheats win again?!?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Benefit cheats win again?!?

    Having succesfully getting a S8 awarded we have also now had the Local Council agree to pay us the Housing Benefit directly. With the T still not even considering moving out at least this will be something we will get as we continue down the warrant and bailiff route.
    Any advice out there on chasing the arrears? Most of it Benefits!
    I've seen the various court order enforcements and it doesn't seem that encouraging. I am even willing to accept low monthly payments (just the principal of getting the money back), but with the T's unwillingness to play ball is this something that can be set up by a court. Still cannot beleive they can get away with what is essentially theft!
    They have already told us they are not going to pay us any money as they are saving it for a deposit on a new place!!

    Thanks in advance!

    Surely the most important thing is to get the tenants out and new ones in now you have the court order.
    Deal with getting the arrears later.
    Start building up as much info as you can on the tenants which will help to get back any funds at a later date.


    Most of this info you should already have if you used a good application form at the start of the tenancy.

    You could go down a number of routes such as


      Nice one. Agree, house back is highest priority (hopefully fairly intact!).
      Will debt collectors be interested in a benefits case?? Almost seems fruitless.
      Will explore all avenues.
      Can you sell debts? Would be nice just to palm this off to some tenacious bull dog firm.


        I'm not 100% on deductions from benefits but I know that the min payment for rent arrears acceptable to the court for someone claiming means tested benefits is #3.05 p/w in our area when dealing with arrears to Local Authority!
        Always double check advice... not just mine!


          IIRC the courts will not allow deductions from someones benefits (unless the creditor is the council)
          PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.


            Originally posted by Paul Gibbs View Post
            IIRC the courts will not allow deductions from someones benefits (unless the creditor is the council)


            Sorry, I know I am being slow, but what does IIRC mean again?



              If I Remember Correctly it's something to do with remembering something correctly.
              I also post as Moderator2 when moderating


                Originally posted by Paul Gibbs View Post
                IIRC the courts will not allow deductions from someones benefits (unless the creditor is the council)
                Hi, have just realised that this is advice is not quite correct - getting too hung up on the IIRC thing.

                Anyway, a quick summary is shown below. Just google "direct deductions" and lots of information comes up. The recognised best guides to this sort of thing are the Child Poverty Action Group's Welfare Benefits Guides which should be available in all main libraries.


                Benefits are normally paid direct to the person claiming but sometimes money can be deducted by the DWP and paid to a third party. Deductions from benefits are also known as 'direct deductions' and are formally called the 'Third Party Deductions Scheme'. These deductions are usually made from certain means tested benefits including Income Support, Pension Credit and Jobseekers Allowance - income based. However in some circumstances they may be made from other benefits. Most deductions are made when there is a debt and if there is enough benefit to cover the payments.

                When are they made?
                Deductions can only be made in certain circumstances, usually when a person has got into debt. Deductions can include the following:-

                fuel debt - fuel direct payments can be made if a person is in gas/electric debt. The fuel company should not disconnect a person if this happens. The amount deducted will include current fuel consumption as well as for arrears.

                rent arrears - to have deductions made then the person must owe the equivalent of four weeks full rent.

                council tax arrears - the local authority must get a liability order from the magistrates court for deductions to be made.

                housing costs - mortgage interest or interest on loans for repairs/improvements is paid direct to the mortgage lender if the lender is a member of the Mortgage Interest Direct Scheme. Other housing costs can also be paid to a third party including payments under a co-ownership scheme. Residential accommodation charges can be paid under direct deductions as can certain hostel charges.

                water charges debt - this can include debt for water and sewerage. The deduction can be for both debt and current consumption.

                fines - The magistrates court can apply to have not only fines but costs and cmpensation orders to be deducted.

                child support payments - deductions can be made towards child maintenance. More information on child support payments.

                certain loans including
                - Social Fund loans - Budget and Crisis loans are nearly always recoved by deductions from benefit,
                - Loans made by 'not for profit' lenders, for example, credit unions and charities (more details),
                - Integration loans for new refugees can also be repaid by direct deductions.
                Is the claimant's consent needed?
                Deductions can be made without the claimant's consent for:

                Council Tax arrears
                Community Charge ("poll tax") arrears
                current housing costs, including current mortgage interest
                child support payments
                hostel or nursing home charges which are not covered by Housing Benefit
                The claimant's consent is required for deductions if they are for:

                rent and housing costs arrears
                fuel costs and arrears and fuel service charges
                water charges and arrears and water service charges
                loan repayments including integration loans
                and the total to be deducted is more than:

                for claimants not getting Child Tax Credit, 25% of their applicable amount for Income Support or income based Jobseekers Allowance or Pension Credit minimum guarantee
                for claimants getting Child Tax Credit (CTC), 25% of their CTC plus Child Benefit plus applicable amount or PC minimum guarantee but not any housing costs included in those
                If the total to be deducted is less than 25% of those figures deductions can be made


                  Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
                  If I Remember Correctly it's something to do with remembering something correctly.
                  Thank you. I understand why I forgot now.



                  Latest Activity


                  • Reply to Section 21 During Contract Period
                    by jpkeates
                    Correct. If your tenancy began on 9th December, they’re a day early.
                    I think you should check that again.

                    Note that the notice doesn’t bring the tenancy to an end, so you can issue your own notice after the fixed term ends, or simply leave before the end of the fixed term, if...
                    19-05-2022, 06:18 AM
                  • Section 21 During Contract Period
                    by matt001

                    On 09.12.2021 I moved in to a flat and signed 6 months contract.
                    Then on 08.04.2022 I have been served section 21 notice by the letter trough the mailbox...

                    I have started reading about this and found in the web that agency cannot issue section 21 notice until...
                    18-05-2022, 13:31 PM
                  • Reply to Single parent renting
                    by Dct
                    I feel it's unfair to penalize single parent just because of receiving UC which is mainly used to pay childcare costs. She's no risk because she's on her own without that second income. I guess it's true there are fewer properties to rent and landlords can afford to be fussy. It's disheartening for...
                    19-05-2022, 05:31 AM
                  • Single parent renting
                    by Dct
                    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                  • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                    by Hudson01
                    The quote you gave from the contract does not give a maximum %%, it just say '' in line '', that could mean it goes up a little or a lot..... it seems a bit vague. In the end if this property has become too expensive for you then in time you may have to move to somewhere cheaper (if they exist !!)....
                    19-05-2022, 04:58 AM
                  • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                    by Hudson01
                    Do not let this get out of hand, increase the rent by the amount you say every year, and i would go for even more, have an honest conversation with the tenant, if she cannot afford it then it maybe time for her to move on, if you let it get too far behind then you will never catch up with this tenant.........
                    19-05-2022, 04:53 AM
                  • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by DoricPixie
                    You don't need the password of the vacating tenant. Their account with the utility company has nothing to do with you as you are setting up a new account not taking over the tenant's account. The section on the websites is usually called something like "Moving Home" and although you're not...
                    19-05-2022, 03:26 AM
                  • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by flyingfreehold
                    Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                    18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
                  • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by flyingfreehold
                    but how can you give the information online if you dont have the password of the tenant vacating?
                    19-05-2022, 02:14 AM
                  • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by DoricPixie
                    You’re not really putting the account back into the landlord’s name, you’re opening a new account.

                    I thought the majority of utility suppliers let you set up a new account online as they don’t really want you phoning them either. Closing the account is all done online too and the...
                    19-05-2022, 00:35 AM