Benefit cheats win again?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefit cheats win again?!?

Having succesfully getting a S8 awarded we have also now had the Local Council agree to pay us the Housing Benefit directly. With the T still not even considering moving out at least this will be something we will get as we continue down the warrant and bailiff route.
    Any advice out there on chasing the arrears? Most of it Benefits!
    I've seen the various court order enforcements and it doesn't seem that encouraging. I am even willing to accept low monthly payments (just the principal of getting the money back), but with the T's unwillingness to play ball is this something that can be set up by a court. Still cannot beleive they can get away with what is essentially theft!
    They have already told us they are not going to pay us any money as they are saving it for a deposit on a new place!!

Thanks in advance!

Surely the most important thing is to get the tenants out and new ones in now you have the court order.
    Deal with getting the arrears later.
    Start building up as much info as you can on the tenants which will help to get back any funds at a later date.

FULL NAMES
    PARENTS NAMES & ADDRESSES
    CAR DETAILS
    WORK DETAILS
    PREVIOUS ADDRESS DETAILS
    NI NUMBERS
    DATE OF BIRTH
    BANK DETAILS
    DETAILS OF FRIENDS AND ADDRESSES
    PREVIOUS PARTNERS DETAILS

Most of this info you should already have if you used a good application form at the start of the tenancy.

You could go down a number of routes such as
    MCOL
    ATTACHMENT OF EARNINGS
    PRIVATE DEBT COLLECTORS
    CHASE THE GUARANTOR (YOU HAVE ONE DONT YOU)
    I HAVE HEARD (DONT KNOW IF YOU CAN) GET A COURT ORDER AGAINST ANY BENIFITS THE TENANT GETS. (50P A WEEK IF YOUR LUCKY)

Comment

Nice one. Agree, house back is highest priority (hopefully fairly intact!).
      Will debt collectors be interested in a benefits case?? Almost seems fruitless.
      Will explore all avenues.
      Can you sell debts? Would be nice just to palm this off to some tenacious bull dog firm.

Comment

I'm not 100% on deductions from benefits but I know that the min payment for rent arrears acceptable to the court for someone claiming means tested benefits is #3.05 p/w in our area when dealing with arrears to Local Authority!
        Always double check advice... not just mine!

Comment

IIRC the courts will not allow deductions from someones benefits (unless the creditor is the council)
          PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Gibbs View Post
            IIRC the courts will not allow deductions from someones benefits (unless the creditor is the council)

Hi,

Sorry, I know I am being slow, but what does IIRC mean again?

Preston

Comment

If I Remember Correctly it's something to do with remembering something correctly.
              I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Gibbs View Post
                Hi, have just realised that this is advice is not quite correct - getting too hung up on the IIRC thing.

Anyway, a quick summary is shown below. Just google "direct deductions" and lots of information comes up. The recognised best guides to this sort of thing are the Child Poverty Action Group's Welfare Benefits Guides which should be available in all main libraries.

Summary

Benefits are normally paid direct to the person claiming but sometimes money can be deducted by the DWP and paid to a third party. Deductions from benefits are also known as 'direct deductions' and are formally called the 'Third Party Deductions Scheme'. These deductions are usually made from certain means tested benefits including Income Support, Pension Credit and Jobseekers Allowance - income based. However in some circumstances they may be made from other benefits. Most deductions are made when there is a debt and if there is enough benefit to cover the payments.

When are they made?
                Deductions can only be made in certain circumstances, usually when a person has got into debt. Deductions can include the following:-

fuel debt - fuel direct payments can be made if a person is in gas/electric debt. The fuel company should not disconnect a person if this happens. The amount deducted will include current fuel consumption as well as for arrears.

rent arrears - to have deductions made then the person must owe the equivalent of four weeks full rent.

council tax arrears - the local authority must get a liability order from the magistrates court for deductions to be made.

housing costs - mortgage interest or interest on loans for repairs/improvements is paid direct to the mortgage lender if the lender is a member of the Mortgage Interest Direct Scheme. Other housing costs can also be paid to a third party including payments under a co-ownership scheme. Residential accommodation charges can be paid under direct deductions as can certain hostel charges.

water charges debt - this can include debt for water and sewerage. The deduction can be for both debt and current consumption.

fines - The magistrates court can apply to have not only fines but costs and cmpensation orders to be deducted.

child support payments - deductions can be made towards child maintenance. More information on child support payments.

certain loans including
                - Social Fund loans - Budget and Crisis loans are nearly always recoved by deductions from benefit,
                - Loans made by 'not for profit' lenders, for example, credit unions and charities (more details),
                - Integration loans for new refugees can also be repaid by direct deductions.
                Is the claimant's consent needed?
                Deductions can be made without the claimant's consent for:

Council Tax arrears
                Community Charge ("poll tax") arrears
                fines
                current housing costs, including current mortgage interest
                child support payments
                hostel or nursing home charges which are not covered by Housing Benefit
                The claimant's consent is required for deductions if they are for:

rent and housing costs arrears
                fuel costs and arrears and fuel service charges
                water charges and arrears and water service charges
                loan repayments including integration loans
                and the total to be deducted is more than:

for claimants not getting Child Tax Credit, 25% of their applicable amount for Income Support or income based Jobseekers Allowance or Pension Credit minimum guarantee
                for claimants getting Child Tax Credit (CTC), 25% of their CTC plus Child Benefit plus applicable amount or PC minimum guarantee but not any housing costs included in those
                If the total to be deducted is less than 25% of those figures deductions can be made

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
                  If I Remember Correctly it's something to do with remembering something correctly.
                  Thank you. I understand why I forgot now.

Preston

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                    aciduzzo
                    I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
                    25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
                  • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                    theartfullodger
                    How will you know who actually signs? Either do it front of you after copying id or via solicitor
                    25-07-2017, 12:40 PM
                  • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                    Pb21
                    Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                    25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                  • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                    theartfullodger
                    It is landlord's responsibility, he may then choose to charge you for it (don't pay).

If he refuses to fix it, not a lot you can do, sorry
                    25-07-2017, 12:37 PM
                  • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                    mariner
                    What was stolen?
                    Did you have personal contents Ins?
                    LL is resp for repairing the door, which he may claim from your deposit or give you the bill to pay.
                    Why did you not notify him of broken mortice lock, which gave burglar easier access and may have compromised LL's Ins?
                    Personally,...
                    25-07-2017, 12:37 PM
                  • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                    Jcg76
                    I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                    Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                    24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                  • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                    leaseholder64
                    I would also have thought this was a case where planning permission was needed, as being flats, the normal permitted development rights, for extensions, would not apply. In that case, you, or rather your tenant, who should have forwarded it to you, should have received a consultation letter from the...
                    25-07-2017, 10:55 AM
                  • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                    jpkeates
                    Each guarantor is guaranteeing their own student's liabilities, so there needs to be three deeds.

Remember that each guarantor needs to see the tenancy agreement that they are guaranteeing (or one that is identical in terms) before they sign any deed and you should advise them in writing...
                    25-07-2017, 10:34 AM
                  • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                    jpkeates
                    I'd suggest that tell the freeholder that your tenants are so badly affected by the work that you will either have to allow them to leave or offer a significant incentive to stay - which might be equal to all of the rent as compensation (if they were to leave). And see how they respond.

25-07-2017, 10:30 AM
                  • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
                    scooter08
                    Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
                    I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
                    25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
                  Working...
                  X