Damp Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damp Issues

We have a damp issue in our property which our tenant reported to us at the beginning of January last year. We paid a local Roofing company to fix the problem, they patched the roof and said "hopefully" it should be sorted. A few months later another telephone call saying the mould had started to appear on the walls again, assuning it was leftover from the last problem as it was dry we washed the walls and painted. We recently raised the rent and have only just discovered that she has not been paying the £50extra...........when we called and asked why, she said the damp had come back. Can she do this? we are happy to sort the problem out but she's not paid since September and this is the first we've heard of it??

What would you do?? She's been inthe property since 2006 without a rent rise.................help!!

Originally posted by tynan View Post
    We have a damp issue in our property which our tenant reported to us at the beginning of January last year. We paid a local Roofing company to fix the problem, they patched the roof and said "hopefully" it should be sorted. A few months later another telephone call saying the mould had started to appear on the walls again, assuning it was leftover from the last problem as it was dry we washed the walls and painted. We recently raised the rent and have only just discovered that she has not been paying the £50extra...........when we called and asked why, she said the damp had come back. Can she do this? we are happy to sort the problem out but she's not paid since September and this is the first we've heard of it??

What would you do?? She's been inthe property since 2006 without a rent rise.................help!!
    It depends on the current rental value of your property and has she been a good tenant generally. Would you be able to find new tenants quickly and would the increase in rent cover for the cost of finding a new tenant and any vacant period?
    Personally I don’t think this a good time to find tenants, so maybe try to offer her a lower rent increase and once the market is better, increase the rent again.

Comment

Two completely seperate issues...

Rent can ONLY be withheld if it is actually being used to solve the problem- not as a 'punishment' to the landlord and the tenant should follow the correct procedure.

As a landlord it is necessary to repair any problems to avoid Environmental Health and repairs need to be carried out regardless of rent arrears.
      Always double check advice... not just mine!

Comment

Damp Issues

Thank you for your advice, we will be getting the damp sorted out, just a bit annoyed with the way she has gone about this. Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• if we haven't signed the renewal are we still liable?
          Lexy333
          Our 6 month short term assured tenancy agreement ended on the 2nd August. We are with a reputable agency. We were invited to renew for a further 6 months back in July and were asked to email our confirmation that we wish to renew in writing. This I did. We were sent the renewal tenancy to sign. We have...
          22-08-2017, 14:00 PM
        • Reply to if we haven't signed the renewal are we still liable?
          mariner
          I would say your original AST continues as SPT.
          If now a new verbal AST, you may have a new fixed term and you cannot serve NTQ during fixed term (6 months?).
          Talk to LL directly, rather than LA.
          Why did you agree to a new AST, rather than request rolling over to SPT....
          23-08-2017, 00:30 AM
        • 6 year deposit claim
          MaliaZ
          Hi guys, I know that a tenant can claim a penalty on an unprotected deposit but I just wondered when the 6 year clock starts ticking.
          22-08-2017, 16:43 PM
        • Reply to 6 year deposit claim
          mariner
          As memory fades over time, can someone provide a 'sticky' for dates when key elements of LL&T Legislation changed? I believe Apr 2012 predates later deposit timescales.
          23-08-2017, 00:08 AM
        • NTQ during fixed term?
          vpltd
          Hi,
          Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
          (A residential let in England.)
          VPL.
          11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
        • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
          Wright76
          It's worth noting that guidance is under part 4 where tenant obviously is given notice to end of a period and therefore apportionment would not be applicable.

The reference to the notice to quit ending the tenancy on the notice date does not change the fact that it obviously does however,...
          22-08-2017, 23:24 PM
          Wright76
          I think thats exactly what the section I have just quoted confirms.

And thereafter, if you choose not to accept they are leaving as a result of the section 21 you must insist on a notice to quit or await a court ordering possession (where you will be ordered to apportion anyway)
          22-08-2017, 23:13 PM
          mariner
          A lot of energy has been expended in this debate. It has been suggested a LL has no need to take Court action if T apparently vacates after receiving a s21 but with no Notice. LL cannot safely assume has vacated without Court confirmation, to avoid a T allegation of 'illegal eviction'. Equally I would...
          22-08-2017, 23:00 PM
          Wright76
          If someone could copy and paste section 21 (4) a and b (I'm really not technical!), the law seems to recognise that a tenancy CAN end as a result of a section 21 and before a possession hearing.

21(4)b........the tenancy could be brought to an end by notice to quit given by the landlord...
          22-08-2017, 22:38 PM
        • Reply to 6 year deposit claim
          KTC
          Assuming that the money originally paid had been used as a deposit for the single tenant tenancy, then 6 years and 30 days from when the 2012 tenancy started. And... if that was a fixed term tenancy, then 6 years and 30 days for any subseqent renwal and likewise from when it went periodic.
          22-08-2017, 22:22 PM
        Working...
        X