My First & Last Tenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First & Last Tenant?

I bought OH out and have completely renovated the house (I live elsewhere with my partner) to let out.

Was in the house doing last minute jobs when neighbour knocked on door and asked if I had let house yet. I said no but expecting to hear from agent any day. She asked if her friend could look and I agreed. Her friend liked the place and the rent but wants to let it on a long term basis (until she goes out feet first!!). She is in her 50's, single and a non-smoker.

Is this too good to be true?

I wondered how long I can convert a Shorthold Tenancy Agreement to (more than one year?) and still protect my interest in the property. Would she have any rights over and above short term tenants? Is there anything I should beware of?

don't offer anything other than an ast, do it for 6 months first so you can be sure you are happy and that she pays the rent!

you can then let the tenancy lapse into a periodic one, so she can give a months notice and you can give two months.

you can reassure her that providing she pays the rent and treats the property ok then she can stay as long as she likes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonboy
      you can then let the tenancy lapse into a periodic one, so she can give a months notice and you can give two months.
      What do you mean by lapse into a periodic one?

Comment

it just means that at the end of the initial agreement e.g. the first 6 months you don't sign a new agreement for say a year or another 6 months, you just let the tenants stay. the tenancy will automatically lapse from a 'fixed term' (i.e. the six month ast you gave when they moved in) to a 'Periodic'. this gives you the right to end the tenancy at any time giving 2 months notice. and the tenant the right to end it with one months notice.

you still retain all the usual rights under an ast (assured shorthold tenancy).

Comment

Hello - I may be an old cynic but if it sounds too good to be true it probably is! We had a similar "offer" to rent our house. We told the person that we "always" do the TenantVerify checks ("nothing personal", "ask everyone to do them" etc) and handed them the form to fill in. We never saw the potential tenant again! You have nothing at all to lose by asking them to fill in the forms and getting them checked out. Better by far than getting a bad tenant and having a problem with a neighbour...
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X