Curtains - an open and shut case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curtains - an open and shut case?

Hello everyone. Our last set of nightmare tenants saw fit to take the curtains and poles etc with them when the did a moonlight...The old ones had been left there by the person we bought the house from and were OK to use. Now we have put right all the damage done by the previous tenants and were just wondering what our obligations are with regard to curtains. I would think that we had to provide the poles/fittings. What about the curtains themselves? Should we buy some or give the new tenants the option of hanging their own? Many thanks for your opinions.
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

i don't think your obliged to provide anything really, but,

i have always been asked for curtains if they are not there already.

i've usually gone to ikea, fairly cheap and easy, i'm sure someone will have a better place though.

you could show tenants round and if they mention it decide from there

thinking about it i suppose it's a bit pointless for tenants to buy curtains as they may not fit the next house they move to.

Comment

Lots of charity shops have curtains if you can find something the right size- or ebay? If you are letting the place furnished, it would make you look a bit cheapskate not to provide curtains, IMHO!

Comment

Depends how you're letting the place, doesn't it?

Conventionally, I would suggest that:

Unfurnished = bare floor boards, no curtains etc, no nothing
        Part-furnished = all floor coverings, curtains, maybe some or all white goods
        Fully-furnished = the above plus all furniture etc

ie, it's a sliding scale. Thus I think if you're letting fully-furnished it would be very odd not to include curtains; unfurnished it would be very odd to include them!

Comment

Thanks all. Unfurnished, Ericthelobster...however we provide (as I imagined the norm) carpets and floor coverings. We will put in curtain rails. We have not included washing machine before but have been asked to do so by prospective tenants. What does everyone else think about "unfurnished"? Am I being too nice by providing carpets???? And washing machines???
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Am I being too nice
            carpets no, w/m yes!

i wouldn't put curtains in unfurnished either

Comment

To my mind, a property containing flooring should also contain curtains. However, it is possibly worth viewing prospective tenants round, and tell them you will get curtains in(at YOUR choosing) if they wished. I say this as, in my experience, an awful lot of tenants put up their own curtains anyway, even in fully furnished, short term let properties. Thus you may well not be taken up in your offer.
              Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X