Flat's kitchen ceiling leaks- who's responsible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat's kitchen ceiling leaks- who's responsible?

Our kitchen ceiling has been leaking since the end of October (above the boiler).

The block agents are useless, their builder is useless and nothing seems to be getting fixed. Our Landlord has had the ceiling repaired, (where it caved in) but now the weather has got more wet, it is constantly leaking etc. The MDF has swollen up and is literally soaked with water and mould - leaving the storage area unusable. It is also slowly spreading across the ceiling itself, which in turn again is worrying as there are spotlights fitted into it.

My partners eldest daughter has asthma and I'm sure the mould will aggitate it.

Our Landlord has given us compensation and a rent reduction for the aggro we've had (the bathroom was covered in mould but a new vent fitted and repainted).

First the block agents builder said it was a blockage on the roof, then it needed refelting (which apparently he did, but no one saw him!), then the gutters needed fixing and now apparently the whole roof needs doing?!?!?!?! He is so incompetent I don't believe a word he says. He failed to turn up on 3 occassions, with one excuse being "his wheel fell off on the motorway".

For starters, the managing agents are in Middlesex, the builder in Watford and we are based in SE London?

What are our rights regarding this as surely something should be done about it?

I've attached one picture to show you, but this is nothing compared to the rest.

Thanks for your help
    Attached Files

1. Are you a long-leaseholder or an AST tenant?
    2. Is this a flat?
    3. Are the 'block agents' a mangaement company acting for the freeholder?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

1 - AST Tenant - years contract from last Sept
      2 - 2nd floor flat, there is one flat above us whose is also wet
      3 - I presume that they are acting as managing agents for the freeholder

Comment

Originally posted by Seany10 View Post
        1 - AST Tenant - years contract from last Sept
        2 - 2nd floor flat, there is one flat above us whose is also wet
        3 - I presume that they are acting as managing agents for the freeholder
        OK. So you are a tenant of L who is himself a leaseholder from F.
        Between you and L, L is liable.
        Between L and F, F is liable IF the lease (F to L) says so; otherwise, L is liable.
        Ignore F and F's manging agent. Press L.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

So its just a case of waiting till the end of Feb as we've agreed to review the situation till then.

Its just at time we spoke last, it was only leaking when it rained, it wasn't constant like it is now.

Do you have any advice as to what the best way is to press the LL, given we've accepted compensation etc? Obviously, I'd rather be paying the full rent and have a dry flat.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Comment

Really, and I know that you don't want to hear this, the only way to press L is by bringing proceedings against him. He is liable to you; F is liable to him; and (as L is not personally to blame) L can join F as a co-defendant. That way, you can indirectly get at F and make him fix it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for Non protected deposit
              charliesugar
              This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
              She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
              27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
            • Reply to Claiming for Non protected deposit
              mariner
              [QUOTE=charliesugar;n998575]To DIY she would need to pay a £305 court fee up front ( or I would have to lend it to her!) then there is the hassle of a court date etc NWNF at least gives her the support of someone who knows what they are doing[QUOTE]

Really?

AFAIK
              win...
              21-07-2017, 01:01 AM
            • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
              Hayleydenice93
              Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
              20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
            • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
              mariner
              So who owns the Freehold?
              IMO there cannot be a freehold TENANCY.
              21-07-2017, 00:24 AM
            • Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              Jenny7
              Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
              So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
              We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
              17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
            • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              MrShed
              Couldn't agree more. How shortsighted. Unless they assume a tenant would leave with no notice and no forwarding address...
              20-07-2017, 22:47 PM
            • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
              KTC
              Going back to the OP.

This makes zero sense. Why would the LA/LL want a notice to quit from a tenant who they don't otherwise have a problem with. The longer until the tenant provide the notice, the longer the tenant is liable for rent. The notice period given now say, or given a month...
              20-07-2017, 22:46 PM
            • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              MrShed
              I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
              20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
            • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              MrShed
              I'm not sure that calling someone's career driven information "nonsense" could be classed as anything other than an insult....
              20-07-2017, 22:41 PM
            • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
              JK0
              Not intended to be an insult. Just sad that some are so frightened of TPTB....
              20-07-2017, 22:39 PM
            Working...
            X