Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheeky tenants

HELP
    My tenant signed contract and agreed to move in on an agreed date with myself. Because I was going to be out of the area days before and after plus they said they could only arrange transport for some furniture 4 days before, I gave them the keys. On my return a neighbour told me they had moved in 4 days before we agreed, which when asked about, the tenant admitted to.
    I am about to serve a S21 to end contract but now unsure about date to end, as in will it stand up in court, I have read judges are particular about dates.
    6 month AST states 10th, so technically ends 9th BUT moved in 6th should end 5th.
    If this goes to court for eviction, as I suspect, will a judge throw it out on a technicality?
    Can anyone help?

Originally posted by Oddjob View Post
    HELP
    My tenant signed contract and agreed to move in on an agreed date with myself. Because I was going to be out of the area days before and after plus they said they could only arrange transport for some furniture 4 days before, I gave them the keys. On my return a neighbour told me they had moved in 4 days before we agreed, which when asked about, the tenant admitted to.
    I am about to serve a S21 to end contract but now unsure about date to end, as in will it stand up in court, I have read judges are particular about dates.
    6 month AST states 10th, so technically ends 9th BUT moved in 6th should end 5th.
    If this goes to court for eviction, as I suspect, will a judge throw it out on a technicality?
    Can anyone help?
    Have they paid any rent for the extra 4 days (when they moved in early)?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

They are behind in payments aswell as some other problems

Comment

The judge will be interested on dates he can verify which are those on your tenancy agreement. Your S21 notice period should agree with those dates.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
          MrShed
          I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
          20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
        • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
          jpkeates
          We can trade with anyone.
          What matters is the terms we trade on.

Currently we're beyond screwed.
          I wanted more for my children than being a pale version of a comic relief video....
          20-07-2017, 20:31 PM
          JK0
          Happy days! We can trade with the EU after Brexit then!...
          20-07-2017, 20:24 PM
          jpkeates
          That's two questions.

First, no.
          Second, no.

The EU trades with China on the basis that no personal data is migrated, same as the USA....
          20-07-2017, 20:23 PM
          JK0
          20-07-2017, 20:17 PM
          JK0
          So the EU requires anyone it trades with at the moment to comply with all the laws the EU complies with? Erm, doesn't most stuff come from China nowadays?...
          20-07-2017, 20:16 PM
        • RGI and housing benefit
          cdbe
          Hi, new to the forum and relatively new to letting. My situation is:

Couple view house, like it etc, seem OK to me. She's full time employed, he's currently unemployed but looking to start his own business as a tattoo artist. Still ok-ish. They pay me £100 holding deposit and £100 referencing...
          18-07-2017, 00:08 AM
        • Reply to RGI and housing benefit
          cdbe
          Thanks. I've binned them off. The ref co said what she earns won't cover it. TBH I don't know why I tried. I've offered her the holding deposit in full plus whatever I get back from uklandlord referencing.co (I paid them £140 - 110 for one reference and 1 year RGI and 30 for second reference, so basically...
          20-07-2017, 19:48 PM
        • Resident Landlord tenancy
          Rocky1001
          Hi all, need some advice please.

I'm in the process of letting my flat out but am struggling to work out exactly what type of tenancy I should be using, from my research I believe it should be a form of Excluded resident landlord tenancy but I can't seem to find a suitable template as...
          10-07-2017, 12:55 PM
        • Reply to Resident Landlord tenancy
          Rocky1001
          Hi, thanks for that, so would it make a difference if I offer shared use of the main bathroom and not just limit the tenant to their en-suite in their self contained section?
          Also can I ask recommendation regarding best way of handling council tax?

I assume their are existing templates...
          20-07-2017, 17:40 PM
        Working...
        X