unpaid rent and theft from property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unpaid rent and theft from property

We let our property to tenants 18 months ago. We agreed to a £200 month reduction in rent and gave the first month free so tenants could repaint the inside. We left a washing machine in the property which broke down, so we felt obliged to rent a new machine for them. They complained the bathroom taps were dripping so we had new taps put in. After a year the ast agreement reverted to a periodic tenancy. We were paying agents to collect rent but the tenants were regularly 2-3 weeks late , which the agent seemed relaxed about as they knew the tenants. Although the agreement stipulated 2 months notice period, the tenants suddenly gave 1 months notice to end on 7th december- their rent due date was 25th of each month- and at this stage they were already owing 5 weeks rent. The agent said we could deduct the rent from the deposit even though the agreement specified it should not be used for this. We reluctently accepted we had no choice. The deposit covered rent up to 3rd december, but the tenants didnt hand back the keys and the agent eventually got them on 10th december, When we finally accessed the property, the gas cooker and cast iron wood burning stove had been removed, and a mature monkey puzzle tree dug up and removed from the garden. A large amount of rubbish had been dumped in the garden and a fish pond liner dug up, tho not removed. Varios other items were removed. The agent says we cant do anything as we didnt have an inventory done, although the agreement said nothing must be removed from the garden. The agreement stated the deposit was £975, but the agents had only retained the deposit from their previous let, which was in fact only £850, so we didnt even get the full amount. Do we have a leg to stand on, or just put it down to experience. We are not re-letting.

If you didn't have an inventory I'm afraid you won't be able to sue for any item missing or any damage.
    Wasn't your agent supposed to get the inventory done ?

If you're missing one week rent you can always take the tenants to small claims court but it's not guaranteed that you'll ever get the money.

Comment

The tenants were only obliged to give one months notice no matter what your agreement says.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
        by DoricPixie
        It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
        28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
      • Renting rooms
        by Luke
        I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
        I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
        I do not intend to live at the property
        Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
        As its...
        28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by DoricPixie
        I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
        28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by theartfullodger
        Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
        28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by Hudson01
        If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
        28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by jpkeates
        That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
        The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
        28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
      • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by Piffy
        I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
        27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
      • Reply to Renting rooms
        by DoricPixie
        You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
        28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
        by DoricPixie
        I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
        28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
      Working...
      X