Tenant flits after receiving section 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant flits after receiving section 8

He has also taken most of his belongings with him; can I re let the property immdeiately?

Originally posted by rich hand View Post
    He has also taken most of his belongings with him; can I re let the property immdeiately?
    No, of course not, because his tenancy is still running (as is his liability to pay rent!)
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

So I would need to send in forms N5 and N119?

Comment

well it might be arguable there is a surrender but we need to know much more detail on how he left. E.g. did he contact you and say he was leaving and returned keys, or make any contact with agent?

if he has not made any contact with you there is the risk the tenancy still continues - this gives you 2 options.

1. Issue a claim and get possession.

2. It may be arguablet hat the T has surrendered by conduct - this is a quicker route to get possession but also has risks. You would claim he has (by his conduct) surrendered the tenancy and you accept this - you go in and change the locks. IF T returns (eg cannot get rehoused and advised to stay till evicted) then he may claim you have illegally evicted him. This will then be an issue for the court to decide.

Given T has left you may decide it is safer to issue a claim - he will not defend and you should get possession within say 2-3 months - if you want to take the riskier option you can re-let sooner but know you have the risk of a claim from T.

do you have a phone number for him?
        PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• When do tenants' requests go too far?
          Suzy76
          Tenants moved in at the beginning of the year and have issued a stream of requests/demands since then, the main ones being

- After signing the contract but before moving in, requesting that I change the wallpaper in one room as they decided they didn't like the colour
          - Asking to...
          12-07-2017, 16:46 PM
        • Reply to When do tenants' requests go too far?
          Landlord1206
          If you trust the tenant I would allow them to decorate upon approval. To agreed specifications and at THEIR EXPENSE. This improves the property and keeps them happy. I have had this happen, new paint colour in lounge. More difficult in your case with a new tenant so I would have said wait and see....then...
          23-08-2017, 11:18 AM
        • Private letting advice
          xNicolex
          My partner and I have recently moved into a private let with our 7 month old son.
          now the flat was in a right state when we moved in - bathroom hadn't been cleaned, kitchen was a mess, oven absolutely caked in grease from the previous tenant (it still is, I refuse to clean it so I'm just not...
          23-08-2017, 08:28 AM
        • Reply to Private letting advice
          xNicolex
          Wannadonnadoodahl - a few of the issues were noticeable when we moved in, however the landlord reassured us they would be dealt with within a week or two, its now been 6 weeks

JK0 - we aren't on any benefits, we both work and have been full rent of Ā£150 a week, which feels like robbery...
          23-08-2017, 11:05 AM
        • Reply to Private letting advice
          Landlord1206
          Not sure if you have a gas cooker or not. Either way, please check that you have a valid Gas Safe certificate. You do not mention the boiler but given the other issues, I hope this is safe for you.
          You may wish to ask for a PAT on any electrical items.

Not sure why you moved in given...
          23-08-2017, 11:02 AM
        • TT not leaving
          johnson13
          A friend of mine (LL) rents his property through an agent and has asked them to get the tenant out as he's coming back to live in it. The agent served a S21 notice which is due to expire soon (we'll check, but for the purposes of this post assume that everything has been served correctly and the notice...
          23-08-2017, 09:00 AM
        • Reply to TT not leaving
          Darth Wookie
          The tenant may be 'morally' in the wrong, but is legally in the right. They have no outright legal obligation to leave at the end of the tenancy agreement, which can only be truly ended by the court. In essence, the court are the 'adjudicators' of the contract and decide whether to enforce it or not....
          23-08-2017, 09:43 AM
          jpkeates
          The current tenancy continues until the landlord has recovered possession (or the tenant serves notice) so there's no danger of a new one coming into being accidentally .

The tenant is awarded costs if they lose, which is pretty standard in legal cases. If the landlord loses the case, the...
          23-08-2017, 09:38 AM
          johnson13
          Ok, thanks. This seems to imply that the tenant is in the wrong by not leaving then.

The notice might as well say, "you don't have to leave when this notice expires, but you'll have a large legal bill if you don't."

Thanks again.

Is this...
          23-08-2017, 09:19 AM
          jpkeates
          The landlord can carry on accepting rent, which is due until the tenancy ends.

The tenant has every right to stay, as the landlord's notice doesn't actually end the tenancy. To bring the tenancy to an end, the landlord will need to go to court. If the landlord is successful, the tenant...
          23-08-2017, 09:12 AM
        Working...
        X