Landlord responsibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord responsibilities

We have had problems with our shower since day one and have had the landlord out to fix it twice. Now it is leaking through - very badly - to our kitchen and causing the lights to 'trip' when at it's worse. A pannel from the ceiling also looks to be about to come away from ceiling. After speaking again to LL and being told to wait for her to call back (no call after 1week) I spoke to her today and she declaired that the shower was not her problem and it was up to us to fix, or not use at all. seen as 3 of us need to get up at 6.30 we took the house because of the shower as a bath alone would not have been viable for us to use. Can anyone tell us if it is up to us to fix ?

Thanks
    Kate

the landlord is responsible for fixing the shower.

you should advise her that if it is not fixed within a reasonable time (say a week) then you will call someone out to fix it and deduct the amount of the repair from the rent.

fair? no, but it gets your shower fixed.

Comment

You need to be careful not to antagonise the landlord, even if she is being unreasonable. Tell her you have taken advice (if you go to CAB they will print out the relevant information on maintenance for you, or go to their website and do it yourself). If you do end up arranging the repair yourself, get the bill sent to the landlord rather than deducting it from the rent, as this would put you at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by caroline7758
        If you do end up arranging the repair yourself, get the bill sent to the landlord rather than deducting it from the rent, as this would put you at risk.
        Sorry but I disagree with this. Tenant:"Oh here is a bill, pay it please" LL: "Hahahaha". If a landlord has shown no inclination to repair an item themselves I believe it is even less likely they will voluntarily pay a bill sent to them. IMO it should be deducted from the rent.
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

I had the same problem with my LL, although i was stupid whereby i with-held my rent. It took 4 months for them to get my shower fixed, and like you it was the only form of bathing.
          I did contact my local EMH dept, who actually told me it is classed as a sanitation issue, and they should have had it fixed within 28 days of the complaint, as otherwise, they can declare the house unfit to live in.
          I was being fobbed off with every excuse under the sun as to why the workman wasn't turning up etc. it's fixed now, but only because the local EMH got in touch with them! Now i am fighting against them cos of the section 21 they sent me, but that's another story.
          BTW; You don't rent from a place in Manchester do you? sounds rather coincidental with your problem, same as mine lol!

Comment

There is a disrepair protocol that you can follow which states that you should give your landlord reasonable time to fix the problem. If they do not you should get three WRITTEN quotes, take the cheapest of the three and get the job sorted. Then you deduct that amount from the rent and send a letter with the Invoice/Reciept, and all three quotes to your landlord detailing what you have done and why. Keep copies of all of them and if they try to deduct this money from your deposit or try to sue you you can show proof as to what happened.

I would follow this through.

Another way is to involve Environemental Health, but they are not always fast! I contacted my EHO in October and they are only just coming out this week to put an order on my landlord! Ok, my situation involves windows and is not as urgent as yours, however be warned that they make take their time.
            GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X