help...wrongly accused of property damage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help...wrongly accused of property damage!

hi all,
    I have a quick question, I have a situation. Im a tenant in a duplex. The neighbor next to us and I have had SERIOUS dog issues with each others dogs in the past. As of recent our dogs got into a fight. The landlord was notified and that was that. So I thought at least. Today I get a letter in the mail from my landlord stating that my neighbor claims my dogs have damaged the security doors of my neighbors property, and that I am being requested to replace them.....My dogs didnt do it and its actually his word against mine. However, the doors next door are damaged and the landlord thinks our dogs have done this. What can I do besides appeal this and what rights does she have against us If she doesnt beleive us? Can she just simply deduce this amount out of our security deposits?

Originally posted by jade76 View Post
    hi all,
    I have a quick question, I have a situation. Im a tenant in a duplex. The neighbor next to us and I have had SERIOUS dog issues with each others dogs in the past. As of recent our dogs got into a fight. The landlord was notified and that was that. So I thought at least. Today I get a letter in the mail from my landlord stating that my neighbor claims my dogs have damaged the security doors of my neighbors property, and that I am being requested to replace them.....My dogs didnt do it and its actually his word against mine. However, the doors next door are damaged and the landlord thinks our dogs have done this. What can I do besides appeal this and what rights does she have against us If she doesnt beleive us? Can she just simply deduce this amount out of our security deposits?
    Are you in the UK, or the USA/Canada?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Are you in the UK, or the USA/Canada?
      Better:
      jade76, are you in:
      a. England/Wales; or
      b. somewhere else?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        Better:
        jade76, are you in:
        a. England/Wales; or
        b. somewhere else?
        OK, logical, logical.

Or, better still: Jade76, where do you live?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

There are duplexes [duplices?] in E&W, even though that's not a common term for them!
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            There are duplexes [duplices?] in E&W, even though that's not a common term for them!
            Hmmm, yes. That's true. I was also drawn by 'neighbor', Holmes.

OP seems to have got bored with us and our amateur sleuthing anyway!

Possible answer to our question : in the dog-house

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
              by royw
              What does your AST say about it?
              05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
            • Dogs
              by Bridge2020
              My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
              05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
            • Advice on s.8 & s.21
              by Hetty911
              Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
              05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
            • Reply to Accelerated possession order
              by Hudson01
              Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
              05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
            • Accelerated possession order
              by Pariah81
              A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
              05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
              by theartfullodger
              Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
              05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
              by Pariah81
              Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
              05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
            • Reply to Dogs
              by ash72
              The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
              05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
            • Reply to Dogs
              by jpkeates
              I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
              You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
              05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
            • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
              by jpkeates
              Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
              You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
              And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
              05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
            Working...
            X