Can T engage plumber if landlord fails to do so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by becndan View Post
    I qualified as a Barrister in 2005 but am not currently practising as one. As far as I was aware, that was the appropriate way to describe my qualification...I am not trying to antagonise members but was looking for help in a situation which has been going on for a long time. I did not expect a character assassination.
    Actually, I took it to be Melly who was claiming to be 'a qualified Barrister' because the way he quoted the phrase in his post, made it appear to be part of his message.

Notwithstanding, it doesn't convince, when someone who is telling us s/he is member of the legal profession, cannot employ appropriate language or punctuation to refer to his/her own job. Think about it. The word 'qualified' in this context is tautologous (barristers are by definition qualified; you cannot have an unqualified barrister, only I suppose, a trainee one) and the word 'barrister' is a common noun, not a proper noun, hence does not need a capital B. (In my experience, people who use capitals non-standardly in relation to themselves do so either to make themselves look more important... or because their name begins with a certain letter and they think all words beginning with that letter need capitalising. However, the latter group tend to grow out of this habit by the age of about 9).

You have not, by the way, been subjected to a character assassination! If you are a barrister then I'm sure you will have been 'grilled' far more fiercely before now.

In case it has escaped your notice, people have actually spent quite a lot of time trying to help you out!

Good luck with the resolution of your problems.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thank you for that.

I feel loads better now. I expect everyone feels happier when they have a problem, where towards the end the advice relates to a person's grammar and where they have made their mistakes. I'll remember that I'm being marked next time and spend more time proof reading. I didn't really expect that to be necessary or even a requirement for posts.

I'm wondering why you would think that I would make my qualifications up (not being convincing)? What would be the point. I've explained why I included this it in my post more than once.

I have previously commented that people had been helpful earlier on and I am of course grateful for their suggestions on how to fix the problems in the hope that they will work. Was there any need for you to then write what you did? It went beyond the problems I am having and was just mean spirited and pedantic. A great way for you to behave in a place that people come looking for help.

Comment

Originally posted by becndan View Post
        Thank you for that.

I feel loads better now. I expect everyone feels happier when they have a problem, where towards the end the advice relates to a person's grammar .
        It wasn't so much the grammar which was defective, it was your choice of lexis and your punctuation, although I suppose some would argue that effective punctuation hinges on good understanding of grammar. If you hadn't said you were a barrister, I wouldn't have mentioned it!

I'm glad you feel better about everything now.

And nobody is perfect..I have just spotted about three typos in my own previous posts - how embarrassing!

Finally - I'd still be interested to know (from a plumbing perspective) how your LL managed to make your washing machine fill with water from the sewerage pipes? What a gonk.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

MTG, it must be your trollish sense of humour, that's three upset clients this week.
          I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
            MTG, it must be your trollish sense of humour, that's three upset clients this week.
            Moi? Are you including yourself there, Little Billy Goat Gruff (because you don't count)?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X