Decorations/decorating/improvements by T- good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newquay View Post
    Hi i am new to this forum but was just wandering if anyone could help me.
    My tenants have asked if they can do some improvements to my property. Although these are not necessary (plastic fascias under guttering) and various other things which they are wanting to do. How do i stand regarding this when i come to sell as they have said they will pay for this as they dont actually need replacing. Please can anyone help.
    Tread very carefully. To some extent your decision will depend on how long they have lived there and your relationship with them, but as a general principle, allowing tenants to make alterations (especially DIY alterations) to your property is not advisable. One man's 'improvement' can be another man's tasteless eyesore. Most people think imitation stone cladding is naff, but there will always be someone who thinks it's a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

At the very least, if you do agree, stay in control of what they add/change, how, who does the work and who will remove it all at the end. It can be a hassle insisting that the property is restored to its original state at the end of the tenancy if you have no wish to hang on to their 'improvements'.

Good luck.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Are you mad! Whose house is it - YOURS - so tell them to abide by the tenancy agreement which probably says no DIY or go.

Even if you wanted these things doing ask yourself :-

1. Why do they want to do this? Will they try to take money off the rent?
      2. Are they capable of doing the work
      3. What about health and safety, public liability - what if one fell off ladder whilst doing it?

Stay in control, don't be afraid to say NO and keep a slightly distant professional relationship with any tenants.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

my main concern is that the improvements which they have asked if they can do will certainly make the property look better as they will be replacing the wood fascias with upvc and i would not want them removed. Thus what will happen when i wish to sell the property 5 years down the line will they be able to claim anything back off me. My relationship with my tenants is very good and they have been in a couple of years with no problems what so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by newquay View Post
          my main concern is that the improvements which they have asked if they can do will certainly make the property look better as they will be replacing the wood fascias with upvc and i would not want them removed. Thus what will happen when i wish to sell the property 5 years down the line will they be able to claim anything back off me. My relationship with my tenants is very good and they have been in a couple of years with no problems what so ever.
          In that case, it may well be worth sitting down with your tenants and agreeing exactly what will be done, by whom and at whose expense - and whether the additions are to stay after the currents Ts leave.

Once you have agreed on these things, get it in writing and have everyone sign it - just in case there is any comeback later.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

ok thanks for that much appreciated:

Comment

For cautionary tales, see the previous posts on this thread. I'd not let T start any 'decorating' or 'improving' at all.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X