S.8 Rent arrears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.8 Rent arrears

If you serve an S.8 for rent arrears and the tenant then makes a payment to bring the overdue amount below the 2 months arrrears do you need to serve a new S.8 if the arrears increase to 2 months the following month?

I believe the criterion is that they need to be 2 months in arrear at the court hearing for a successful section 8 action. Sounds to me as though your tenant will continue to make payments to keep himself below the magic figure, and his next trick will be to wait until the completed S5 hits his doormat (cost to you at least £150). Next he will probably pay a few days before the hearing - probably another £150 from you, then he will pay up at the hearing - maybe yet another £150 fee.
    I hope you have served an S 21 notice on him as well - it may well be your best bet as he can't avoid the consequenses of that one.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Would you not just add grounds 10 & 11? With regards Ground 8, I would have thought that the magic times to be 2 months in arrears are at the time of serving, and the time of hearing. I guess that in between, it doesn't matter if he is only a month in arrears. However, this is just a total guess!
      Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Grounds 10 and 11 are discresionary so you are at the mercy of the judge and we know how judges regard greedy rich landlords in comparison with those upright, honest law abiding citizens who are their customers! I understand that the tenant MUST be more than two months in arrear at the time of the hearing. They will be 2 months in arrear on the service of their S8 notice, thus they then have two weeks to do something about the situation. Only if they are still two months in arrear is the judge compelled to issue a possession order (section 8). I am sure that someone will know of a reasonable, even handed judge who has granted a possession order on the basis of section 10 or 11, but you can't be certain that the judge you get will. The only certainty in life is that if a section 21 is issued and you get the paperwork right you MUST get said possession order as there is no hearing.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Thanks gents.

Comment

If you only serve the S21 the tenant may just stop paying completely and you have the problem of chasing the debt once they have gone. If you issue S8 with Grounds 8, 10 & 11 you will get suspended possession if they have made that little payment by the time of the hearing. As soon as they reak the terms set by the judge you go back to court and get possession. It's quicket than the S21 route, as S8 is only a 2 week notice period. Obviously, in the meantime, you can also issue a S21 that won't prejudice the S8.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting rooms
              by Luke
              I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
              I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
              I do not intend to live at the property
              Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
              As its...
              28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
            • Reply to Is time more important than money?
              by Lawcruncher
              I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
              27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
            • Is time more important than money?
              by jpucng62
              Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
              Garden was left in a mess...
              27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
            • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
              by MdeB
              That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
              Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
              27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
            • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
              by Beeble
              We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
              25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
            • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by Lawcruncher
              The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
              27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
            • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by Piffy
              I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
              27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
            • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
              by AndrewDod
              Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
              27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
            • Inherited a few rentals
              by Landlord7289
              Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
              25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
            • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by DoricPixie
              Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
              27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
            Working...
            X