Can I make landlord clean-out black mould on walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firefly
    replied
    Did not see the extent of the mould no as no electrics at that time. Rung up environmental health and they said it should be ok to clean and repaint (wasnt what I expected to hear).

I have also arranged for council to collect 1st sofa on Monday so we are getting there.

I still would prefer the let to start a week later at least as there is so much to do there.

Leave a comment:

• Izzycam
    replied
    Maybe you should have not rented the house in the first place, did you not see this when you viewed......I would contact the landlord and say you would like the jobs done as soon as possible (2 weeks would be a reasonable time frame), then if not done contact your enviromental health, they will know what is right and wrong,try to give the landlord the chance to rectify first, as contacting the enviromental health will set you off on the wrong footing if you intend to stay at the property.

Leave a comment:

• firefly
    replied
    few more ....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• firefly
    replied
    Here are some of the pics I took of the mould ...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• firefly
    replied
    Hi and thanks for the advice.

The agent rang me today and told me the LL had paid someone to clear the house prior to his leaving the UK, which he paid for, so the agent told me he will be very angry to hear they did not do the job they were paid for.

As for the sofas in the garage. When I first looked at the property he said I had a garage also, this I was pleased about. Last Friday I picked the keys up and he told me then that there were sofas in the garage if I wanted them. I said no. So when I brought this up with him today, he told me "I told you about the sofas in the garage". He also said they were not usable.

About the bedroom door being ajar, he said he will come by and take a look at it in a couple of weeks when he has to repair some tiling on the roof.

As for the mould ..... He told me one of the LL's friends had been staying there the past month and he had the heating on constantly and never opened any windows etc so the mould has just appeared (it looked old) and that if I used sugar soap I should be able to get it off and repaint over it all.

So all in all not much help at all!!! I dont know if its "safe" to start scraping away at it? I read it shouldnt be done without a mask etc ...

I cant believe that nothing is going to be done, I will have to ring council so they can take away sofas but I still have to drag them out of the garage and they only pick up one a week if that! Where am I meant to store my furniture in the meantime??

Sorry for the mega long posts but I dont know what to do, just bite the bullet and get on with it??

Thanks in advance!

Leave a comment:

• Bel
    replied
    Firefly

We cannot see the amount or "quality" of your block mould or spores.

Granted, you dont want to go round breathing the stuff in, but as soon as the mould it wetted down prior to cleaning, the spores cannot be released into the air anymore.

Its the same with asbestos in artex, which can dampened down and then scraped off in relative safety while it is still moist.

And if the air bourne droplets of mould killer spray are likely to affect you, you can apply with a sponge.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Wet View Post
    If your really worried just ring your local Council Environmental Health Department (or ask Health Worker etc to do it on your behalf) they will inspect the property and if anything needs to be done ie. not just condensation they will write to the LL for you - that way you are not directly contacting LL

By the same token if the mould is a serious damp problem that will have a negative affect on your health or that of your daughter the EH are the people to deal with that as well, and will deal with the ousing department on your behalf.

They will also be able to deal with the clearance of rubbish from the property.
    I agree that the EH will be able to deal with it, but OP want to move in today and I think EH depts can sometimes move slowly, their wonders to perform. I still think (as Bel and I have suggested) that she needs to make contact with the LL/agent first and see what they are willing to do (or not) - I supsect this old man hasn't had much experience of letting out property - he may well not realise the standard tenants expect these days. Only if he is inert/unco-operative about it should OP start contacting EHO, don't you think?

Leave a comment:

• Wet
    replied
    If your really worried just ring your local Council Environmental Health Department (or ask Health Worker etc to do it on your behalf) they will inspect the property and if anything needs to be done ie. not just condensation they will write to the LL for you - that way you are not directly contacting LL

By the same token if the mould is a serious damp problem that will have a negative affect on your health or that of your daughter the EH are the people to deal with that as well, and will deal with the ousing department on your behalf.

They will also be able to deal with the clearance of rubbish from the property.

Leave a comment:

• firefly
    replied
    Hi again and thanks for the info.

I am renting this through someone the council referred me to and they told me if I have any queries I can come to them as they know this agent and have rented many properties from him in the past.

I still havent contacted him and am thinking that I will go and see the lady tomorrow with the pics I took yesterday of the mold etc to see if she can arrange something with the agent (as she also knows him) so it might be better coming from her!

I desperately want the place and have resigned myself to clearing out the rubbish (I already text the agent to see if LL wanted anything before I threw it out, to which he said no) but when I was going through everything most of it was rubbish, broken toys etc anyway.

I did notice some mold spray left in the kitchen yesterday but have also read that with black mold you should be wearing a mask if you touch it as the spores are then released into the air and is very dangerous! I think this has scared me the most as its not your average green mold, this stuff is toxic and no matter that Id be homeless I cannot move in with this health hazzard or put my daughter through it. I just hope agent will be agreeable to remove it (another thing I heard is it has to be treated with certain chemicals by a professional) .... been reading ALOT online!!! LOL

Anyway thanks to all again, will see what the community housing says about it all tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Que? I only understand one of these four!
    Which one ?

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    This Boo?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/boo/

I thought she was 14
    Yes that Bloo thing!
    The other one is 3!!!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    Mum ...is that you ?
    You stay up late as well ?
    Men from South Africa ?
    Lioness?
    Que? I only understand one of these four!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    Worse than this is my daughters hero: BOO (google it !) as Anne Robonson would say "what is the point?"
    This Boo?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/boo/

I thought she was 14

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    There are more things you can work out from the the things I have posted on this forum, than the fact that I am female.

Pratchett : not even soporific, in my experience; he just anaesthetises my brain in an irritating sort of way. By the time I've got to the last word in one of his sentences, I've forgotten/lost interest in the beginning of it. The only comparable series which had this effect on me was the My Little Pony books (circa 1990). My daughter was obsessed with them and I read them over and over again to her but without having a clue what I had read. Worrying.
    Worse than this is my daughters hero: BOO (google it !) as Anne Robonson would say "what is the point?"

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    Mum ...is that you ?
    You stay up late as well ?
    Men from South Africa ?
    Lioness?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X