Eviction matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eviction matter

Friend of mine rented his apartment to someone on assured shorthold tenancy agreement. The contract finishes this Sun and the tenants decided that they want to stay few months longer and will stop paying. All is paid till the end of the contract therefore no rent arrears so far.
    What procedure should be taken in this case to evict the tenants? The contract will expire tomorrow (SUN). If the tenants will not move out will friend of mine need to go to court to evict them? Do you know how long would this procedure take and how much would it costs more or less? Also does he have to serve them now with eviction letter and if they do not respond what to do next?

Your friend can either issue a new AST agreement, but if he does so he will not be able to start action to regain his property for six months. Alternatively he can do nothing, his agreement has automatically become a statutory periodic one, rent is due as before for as long as the tenants remain in residence and they have to give one month's notice when they decide to leave. To get them out, your friend must serve them with a section 21 notice giving them two months notice. Search on this topic for further details as to how it should be completed and served. If the tenants do not leave after this period has expired, your friend can approach the local county court for a possession order - takes about a month and costs £150. If they don't leave then, he can get a bailiff (£95) to legally evict said tenants (another month or so). This is probably the most discussed matter on this board so spend plenty of time using the search engine to read all about it. There are advertisers on this board who can assist with an eviction - for a fee of course.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

And if they dont pay the rent, take them to small claims court. Other option would be to evict on Section 8 notice(where money owed is decided at eviction hearing), but you would have to wait 2 months until you could even serve this notice, and it tends to take longer than S21 eviction, so sue them in small claims.
      Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

a quick interent search revealed this download for a
        free section 21

you have to register to get access

i agree section 21 is easier than section 8 anyday of the week

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X