AST- term's expired and we're still waiting for renewal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AST- term's expired and we're still waiting for renewal

My husband and I have been in our current property for 3 years having signed a number of fixed term Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreements.

Our last agreement (Assured Shorthold Tenancy England) expired in November 2008. The LL agreed to another fixed 12 month contract with a 6 month break clause, one months notice and to keep the rent as it is, this was all documented in email.

We are still waiting to receive the contract and we are wondering where we stand legally. Is the email agreement legally binding or are we now in a month by month contract because neither we or the LL have signed the new contract?

Hi

It is possible for there to be a binding agreement for a lease - indeed it is very common in commercial property transactions - but you will need to give a bit more information about the negotiations between you and your landlord before anyone can give you some sensible advice. For example, what was said in the email that you refer to? Do you have any documentary evidence of the agreement, including anything signed by either or both parties?

Preston

Comment

Originally posted by Vic70 View Post
      My husband and I have been in our current property for 3 years having signed a number of fixed term Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreements.

Our last agreement (Assured Shorthold Tenancy England) expired in November 2008. The LL agreed to another fixed 12 month contract with a 6 month break clause, one months notice and to keep the rent as it is, this was all documented in email.

We are still waiting to receive the contract and we are wondering where we stand legally. Is the email agreement legally binding or are we now in a month by month contract because neither we or the LL have signed the new contract?
      Subject to your reply to Preston's comments, your fixed-term tenancy's expiry is impliedly followed by a statutory periodic tenancy: s.5 of Housing Act 1988. If rent was monthly during the fixed term, the SPT is monthly too. So you do have a Tenancy Agreement; L could terminate this by Notice under s.21(4)(a), running at least two months from service AND then up to the end of the tenancy rent month.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for getting back to me. To answer your question:

In October we received a letter from the letting agents asking us if we wanted to renew the tenancy.
        We replied by email requesting a 12-month fixed term tenancy with a six-month break clause and for the rent to remain the same.
        The letting agent replied, by email, saying that the LL had agreed to the terms we had asked for and that they would send the new tenancy agreement out for both parties to sign.

This was back in October, we haven’t signed, or seen, the new fixed term agreement. The only documentation we have is the email we sent requesting the terms we would like if we were to renew our tenancy and the letting agents response saying the LL had agreed to them.

We are not sure if legally we are bound by the fixed term tenancy we requested or the statutory periodic tenancy because we haven’t signed any new documentation

Confused…

Comment

It is my belief that you are only bound by the Although you have accepted proposed terms in a new AST, this has not been signed by you thus does not exist. You may therefore give your landlord one months notice if you want to leave, your landlord must give you at least two months notice ending on a rent day if he wants you to vacate the property.

P.P.
          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
            Although you have accepted proposed terms in a new AST, this has not been signed by you thus does not exist. P.P.
            Can it not be argued it exists as an oral tenancy?... although it was offered by email - doesn't that carry even more weight than an oral one?
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help re flatsharing legal position!
              CatherineCarr
              Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
              24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
            • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
              CatherineCarr
              Many thanks. It is only a verbal agreement (like so many flatsharing agreements are) with two months notice either way and that I would be given certain storage (some of which the Hungarian has nabbed), that I would be able to work from home, get a cleaner and bring items into the flat ie television...
              24-07-2017, 13:56 PM
            • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
              MrShed
              The only thing that matters is your contract. What contract do YOU have (not what Emma has signed with someone else)?
              24-07-2017, 13:43 PM
            • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
              Stybdmy
              Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
              24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
            • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
              MrShed
              Unfortunately (I know its not going to be what you want to hear), I suggest you will have to chalk this one up to experience. Without an inventory you are up the proverbial without a paddle I'm afraid. In the grand scheme of things the damage you have described is very slight (bar perhaps the carpet)...
              24-07-2017, 13:04 PM
            • Landlord: When will I get a bailiff date?
              mlsmith
              I'm so sorry if this has been asked before, but for some reason I am unable to search the forum as it's not bringing up any results.

I know the eviction date will vary depending how busy the local courts are. My local court has indicated 6-8 weeks.

My solicitor submitted a...
              24-07-2017, 12:04 PM
            • Tenant's energy debt.
              Gordonmrln
              I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
              20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
            • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
              jpkeates
              The deemed contract is with the owner or occupier and commences when gas is supplied.

There's no obvious hierarchy of owner/occupier and, while there are references elsewhere to the owner being liable for things when the property is unoccupied, that isn't reflected in the deemed contract...
              24-07-2017, 11:47 AM
              MrShed
              Poster - I dont think theres anywhere to "go from here" until you get the letters sent off to the debt collection agency and to EON in line with my post somewhere above - as you arent the executor simply remove that part. But fundamentally they still need to know about your wifes passing and...
              24-07-2017, 11:28 AM
              MrShed
              JPK - it doesnt matter what the incentive is or was, the deemed contract is with the occupier, not the owner - unless there is no occupier. As such, if it can be demonstrated that someone else was living in the property the debt is with them, regardless of what EON may like....
              24-07-2017, 11:25 AM
            Working...
            X