Liable for rent after eviction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liable for rent after eviction?

I am currently a tenant under an assured shorthold tenancy for a fixed period of 12 months. 6 months into the tenancy, the landlord is not happy with some accidental damage caused to the property and has served us an eviction notice.

I have sought legal advice and been told that we have a high chance of succeeding if we wished to challenge this eviction, but we are so fed up of the situation that we are accepting it and vacating the premises by the end of the notice period.

Today however, I have a recieved a letter from the landlord stating that not only must we vacate the premises leaving it in the state it was in when the tenancy started (we have done this and also are in the process of paying for all damage repair) but also that we must continue to pay rent after vacating the premises for the remaining six months of the tenancy.

Are we legally obliged to pay rent when we have been evicted and can not enter the property as the landlord has ended the tenancy agreement?

Many thanks in advance

Originally posted by mightyforlan View Post
    I am currently a tenant under an assured shorthold tenancy for a fixed period of 12 months. 6 months into the tenancy, the landlord is not happy with some accidental damage caused to the property and has served us an eviction notice.

I have sought legal advice and been told that we have a high chance of succeeding if we wished to challenge this eviction, but we are so fed up of the situation that we are accepting it and vacating the premises by the end of the notice period.

Today however, I have a recieved a letter from the landlord stating that not only must we vacate the premises leaving it in the state it was in when the tenancy started (we have done this and also are in the process of paying for all damage repair) but also that we must continue to pay rent after vacating the premises for the remaining six months of the tenancy.

Are we legally obliged to pay rent when we have been evicted and can not enter the property as the landlord has ended the tenancy agreement?

Many thanks in advance
    No, you're not. But keep all the paperwork relating to the section 8 eviction (assuming he has actually gone through this process - or did you just agree to go? It matters!)
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      No, you're not.
      Thank you for the help. Does anybody know any legal authority for this, simply so I can quote it when I speak to the landlord?

thanks again

Comment

Thank you for the help. Does anybody know any legal authority for this, simply so I can quote it when I speak to the landlord?
        Simple logic. If L ends tenancy by s.8 Notice, that ends rent liability too. True, L has no obligation to mitigate loss caused by T during the fixed term; but that pre-supposes the continued existence of the term. L cannot have it both ways!
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I have since got hold of solicitor who sent the letter on landlord's behalf and they said that they can still demand rent, although they weren't very clear as to why and I am very keen to avoid going to court. Any idea why they would say this?

Comment

I have since got hold of solicitor who sent the letter on landlord's behalf and they said that they can still demand rent, although they weren't very clear as to why and I am very keen to avoid going to court. Any idea why they would say this?
            Because client asked them to.
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              Because client asked them to.
              This might sound naive but would a solicitor really say this on advice of the client even if it had no legal foundation?

thanks for all the help

Comment

This might sound naive but would a solicitor really say this on advice of the client even if it had no legal foundation?

thanks for all the help

You are also assuming the solicitor knows the law!

ask the solicitor to provide chapter and verse as to why / how you are liable
                PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                  Simple logic. If L ends tenancy by s.8 Notice, that ends rent liability too.
                  But of course a s.8 notice does NOT end a tenancy.

The OP needs to be careful here. If he leaves before the tenancy ends he will be liable for rent until the date the fixed term ends or, if earlier, the date the landlord takes back effective control of the premises.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                    But of course a s.8 notice does NOT end a tenancy.
                    Yes, it was shorthand for "proceedings initiated by L serving a s.8 Notice".

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                      Berlingogirl
                      This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
                      27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                    • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                      Berlingogirl
                      I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
                      27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                    • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                      BouwensPB
                      I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                      26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                    • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                      Wright76
                      You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
                      27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
                    • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                      theartfullodger
                      Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
                      27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                    • Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                      purpleangel
                      Our potential new landlady has 'approved us in principle' but wants to meet us at the house as the final part in the referencing process. Beside the obvious such as look smart, tidy and professional and warn the kids to behave, any particular tips for making sure this last hurdle goes smoothly?
                      26-07-2017, 10:11 AM
                    • Reply to Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                      Wright76
                      Some of the above comments are crazy!. If they have aleady done their referencing and credit checks then they likely just want to meet you.

As someone said above, they are trusting you with their very valuable asset.

As a landlord I couldn't care less what clothes someone...
                      27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                    • Landlord Address
                      bsward
                      Hello,

Tenancy finished a couple of months ago. The landlord withheld part of the deposit for a variety of reasons. As the tenant, I disputed those deductions as incorrect - they contradict the Checkout Report which was completed by an agent of the Landlord but that's besides the point....
                      27-07-2017, 09:58 AM
                    • Reply to Landlord Address
                      theartfullodger
                      As the tenancy has finished you have no right to his address from agent.

Have you spent £3 with land registry to get deeds of property & see who is listed as owner & what address?? (Landlord may not be owner... legal, no very uncommon...)
                      https://www.gov.uk/search-propert...
                      27-07-2017, 18:59 PM
                    • Tenant's energy debt.
                      Gordonmrln
                      I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                      20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                    Working...
                    X