Tenant moving without paying rent and leaving debts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant moving without paying rent and leaving debts.

Hi again,

T is leaving without forwarding address and debts larger than deposit without paying for final months rent.

Anybody any ideas as to how I can proceed to reclaim the costs if T disappears?

T has said sue me through the courts and be damned!
    This is only my interpretation and I suspect I may be wrong

Originally posted by Reading_up View Post
    T is leaving without forwarding address and debts larger than deposit without paying for final months rent.

Anybody any ideas as to how I can proceed to reclaim the costs if T disappears?

T has said sue me through the courts and be damned!
    These days it's pretty hard for people to disappear off the face of the earth completely; once your T puts down any form of roots elsewhere (eg employment) a tracing agent would be most likely to be able to find him again. Hassle though; how much will you be owed? You need to weigh up whether it's going to be worth it, though if it were me it wouldn't need to be very much to make me chase a T with that sort of attitude! Also, is he going to be able to pay you somehow once you catch him? Is he likely to be employed, for example?

It helps a lot if you have a good amount of personal info on the person, from when they applied to be a tenant (eg ID, NI number, bank details, next of kin address etc etc - all makes it easier to track them down).

Comment

T is foreign national, came here to have baby, get social support, suspect is going back home now has screwed UK and me over!

Has been advised that what they are doing is legal according to the Citizens Advice Bureau!

Comment

Has been advised that what they are doing is legal according to the Citizens Advice Bureau!
        Well, it's not. Theft/fraud/obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception are all criminal offences (although mere non-payment is not).
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          Well, it's not. Theft/fraud/obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception are all criminal offences (although mere non-payment is not).
          Given the OP's propensity for wasting people's time by omitting key bits of information here, I'm sure there's more to the story than we've been told.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
            Given the OP's propensity for wasting people's time by omitting key bits of information here, I'm sure there's more to the story than we've been told.
            Given that I am new to this (only 30 posts) and do not know what "key bits of information" are, as somebody lets me know I respond. If I don't know it is important I don't include it.

I have two flats one has never been a problem and changed tenant without issue the other is the subject of my posts.

I thought this was a forum to help people understand not provide you with an audience for your snide remarks.

The full story as you ask for it.
            Got ripped off on purchasing an illegal property, costs thousands to get it legal. Don't trust anybody other than the local council or planning office.
            LA installed problem T, T was not pregnant and contract said no children.
            1 month later T was 4 months pregnant. Only speaks english when it suits.
            T claims illegal entry when returning a new hoover replacing broken one (Thread http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=12025)
            Calls for everything to be repaired or certified (see helpful thread with Mind The Gap http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=15954)
            T gives notice and says is leaving.
            T fails to pay last months rent and say CAB confirmed this is legal.
            Don't know if I have omitted any bits of "key information" here but I am sure one of the helpful Senior members or topic experts will point it out to me.

I am not intentionally wasting anybodys time except yours because I simply do not know, which is why I joined this forum and have learnt a lot from it.

Comment

Given that I am new to this (only 30 posts) and do not know what "key bits of information" are, as somebody lets me know I respond. If I don't know it is important I don't include it.

I have two flats one has never been a problem and changed tenant without issue the other is the subject of my posts.

I thought this was a forum to help people understand not provide you with an audience for your snide remarks.
              OK, sorry. I was just a bit irritated at the time as I'd gone to the trouble of tapping out advice based on someone being AWOL in the UK (fair assumption in the absence of info to the contrary?) - but if the 'someone' has gone overseas it's surely pretty obvious that it's a whole different ball game.

I haven't been through your other threads; but it did seem a bit surprising that based only on the info you'd given, CAB could possibly think there was any justification for T's actions.

Comment

Thanks Eric, however I do not know where T has gone, it could be UK, Europe or the world. I believe possibly UK but suspect back home, I don't know.

CAB advice was as a deposit was held for 1 months rent then T could leave owing 1 months rent. This is despite the contract stating deposit can not be used for rent and owing at least £500 in outstanding bills, the increased value of the rent (Renewal occured when in hospital and advised could notreject renewal due to legal reasons) plus Inventory fee as well as whatever the state the inventory clerk tells me the property is in. I suspect about £1,000 in the end.

Comment

Best bet is to instruct a tracing agent after they have left if you find their address then sue. If you fail to find them sue using the tenancy address as the address for service.
                  PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

Surveyor recommended by LA provided information everything was okay, then went bankrupt within a month. Illegal conversion, no parking permits, faulty electrics, and the list goes on!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X