Landlord moved; should he notify T of new address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord moved; should he notify T of new address?

This probably is a daft question, but i was wondering if landlord has moved address then is it sufficient for a note to be sent to the tenant informing them of this or will the AST need to be amended as well?

Originally posted by MaryQK View Post
    This probably is a daft question, but i was wondering if landlord has moved address then is it sufficient for a note to be sent to the tenant informing them of this or will the AST need to be amended as well?
    It's not a legal requirement for the LL's address to appear on the AST itself, anyway, is it?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by MaryQK View Post
      Answer: see s.48 of LTA 1987 (which you can view at http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/Home.aspx).
      L must give T a current address in England & Wales where T can serve any Notices. This need not be L's home- a business address, PO Box, or solicitor's/accountant's office address is OK for these purposes.
      No alteration is needed to the AST itself.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

We had the problem of the current LL not giving us an England & Wales address for service of notices when he bought our small block of residents flatsover 2 yrs ago.
        We with held the rent for a whole yr until he finally complied with an England and Wales Address instead of some Jersey address which he kept demanding to us was fine.
        Then we had to pay him the with held 12 months rent once he provided us with the England & Wales address which never seemed fair to us.
        Why should we have payed rent for each of those 12 months while he was clearly breaking statute law ???
        l really love this country but some of the laws l believe really make us now the laughing stock of the world. it just always seems criminals and law breakers always seem to come out ontop here most times these days.

Comment

Originally posted by montana View Post
          We had the problem of the current LL not giving us an England & Wales address for service of notices when he bought our small block of residents flatsover 2 yrs ago.
          We with held the rent for a whole yr until he finally complied with an England and Wales Address instead of some Jersey address which he kept demanding to us was fine.
          Then we had to pay him the with held 12 months rent once he provided us with the England & Wales address which never seemed fair to us.
          Why should we have payed rent for each of those 12 months while he was clearly breaking statute law?
          Simply because the rent does continue to accrue even if L is in default; the burden for L is that he cannot lawfully demand the rent unless and until he complies. Why should you expect a rent-free period, for that matter?
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

because LL is breaking one of the most fundamental tenancy laws, not giving a tenant recourse of protection to sue LL for any "wrong doings" he may commit.
            perhaps our solicitor at the time was not on the ball by not taking the LL to court over all this, he seemed happy to let us just carry on with holding the rent until the LL finally complied.
            Of course during that 12 month period we basically had no rights to inforce any legal sitaution with the LL.
            Do you think the LL should of been fined for that action ?
            Or better still seeing as he's still making life for us here pretty damn awkward in terms of other issues like disrepair and the car parking problems, could we make him pay "costs" we had to fork out at the time using solicitors over that section 47/48 issue ?

Comment

Originally posted by montana View Post
              Do you think the LL should have been fined for that action?
              YES! See s.3 of LTA 1985!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X