Tenant hoarding rubbish/junk and messing-up property

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Preston View Post
    Hi

    This could well be completely wide of the mark, but in a housing context some types of "hoarding" can be a sign of mental health issues, such as obsessive compulsive behaviour. Nothing to worry about; just something to be aware of if it continues. It may be that the individuals concerned are receiving or need some professional support.


    Preston
    Hi Preston,

    Having just issued a Final, Final, Last Ultimatum to my own teenager badger re the state of his sett, I laughed long and loud (not to mention a touch hysterically) at this - I take it you don't have to share your house with teenagers?

    I think 'messy beggars' is much closer to the mark!

    Even if they did need professional help, I'm not sure the LL is the person to organise it.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Hi Preston,

      Having just issued a Final, Final, Last Ultimatum to my own teenager badger re the state of his sett, I laughed long and loud (not to mention a touch hysterically) at this - I take it you don't have to share your house with teenagers?

      I think 'messy beggars' is much closer to the mark!

      Even if they did need professional help, I'm not sure the LL is the person to organise it.
      Hi, I obviously tickled your sensitivity gene!

      Actually, I have a 17 year old and a 12 year old. I think I have more success dealing with assured shorthold obsessive compulsives.

      Anyway, on the subject at hand, anyone who has worked in property management as long as I have will, I think, recognise the potential senario I am alluding to. Its more common than you might think.

      Preston

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Preston View Post
        Actually, I have a 17 year old and a 12 year old. I think I have more success dealing with assured shorthold obsessive compulsives.
        What a brilliant phrase. But at least tenants are only shorthold compulsive-obsessives. I have worked with long-hold (?) ones and they can be a worry, I agree.

        It's really hard to identify the point at which a penchant for tidiness (or forward planning) tips over into obsessive cleanliness or compulsive hoarding, isn't it? That's what I was thinking of when I made the remark about 'one person's rubbish' - who decides what is normal and what isn't? For example, my mother-in-law buys a packet of tea every time she goes to the supermarket. She has done so as long as anyone can remember, many of her cupboards are full of the stuff and she freely admits she will never drink it all. But she's happy - she knows that she will never run out of tea and she sleeps well at night in that knowledge. It's clearly not 'normal' behaviour (at least, not in my view), but if she's happy, who's to say she needs help?

        I wish some of our student tenants would be a bit more compulsive or obsessive about tidying up and cleaning, but in the end I think I would have to defend anyone's right to be untidy (except in my house!)
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

        Comment


          #19
          I think we all have our little foibles. My mother lives in a large house by herself. She has a very large fridge from the days when up to 7 other people lived in the house with her. The fridge is always full. Consequently, so is the bin.

          I think you asked earlier whether the "stuff etc" in this case includes organic material. The first person with this disorder I ever got to know could not throw anything away including nail clippings and orange peel. She was quite tidy in the way she stored them. She just ran out of space.

          Preston

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Preston View Post
            I think we all have our little foibles. My mother lives in a large house by herself. She has a very large fridge from the days when up to 7 other people lived in the house with her. The fridge is always full. Consequently, so is the bin.

            I think you asked earlier whether the "stuff etc" in this case includes organic material. The first person with this disorder I ever got to know could not throw anything away including nail clippings and orange peel. She was quite tidy in the way she stored them. She just ran out of space.

            Preston
            Pity you could not have introduced the second person you describe, to Rodent on this forum. He would have found had an economically productive use for all her clippings and orange peel, I'm sure. (If nothing else, he would've flogged it all on ebay).

            This has reminded me about a woman who lived in our street when I was growing up. She would clean her house thoroughly from top to bottom, every four hours, day and night. It took her about three hours to do it, then she'd rest/eat/shower...but within an hour she would be convinced the dirt was building up again, and start all over. Clearly, with hindsight, I'd say she needed help - but at the time, most of the other residents of the street just thought she was more than averagely houseproud, and voiced the opinion that she would be better employed coming round and cleaning other people's houses, if she liked cleaning that much.

            'A Cream Cracker Under the Settee' and 'The Outside Dog' stuff!
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

            Comment


              #21
              As a tenant and a bit of a hoarder myself I find it a bit offensive that mathy is suggesting starting possession proceedings at this stage.

              I guess we need to know more details about the nature of this "rubbish" but I certainly dont see the justification of a LL advising a T how to live.

              I have always worked on the theory that aslong as my lifestyle does not adversely affect the fabric of my home - ie Carpets, Walls, and any furniture provided with the property then I fail to see what business the LL has poking his nose in?

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Gigabyte View Post
                As a tenant and a bit of a hoarder myself I find it a bit offensive that mathy is suggesting starting possession proceedings at this stage.

                I guess we need to know more details about the nature of this "rubbish" but I certainly dont see the justification of a LL advising a T how to live.

                I have always worked on the theory that aslong as my lifestyle does not adversely affect the fabric of my home - ie Carpets, Walls, and any furniture provided with the property then I fail to see what business the LL has poking his nose in?
                Yes, all true. L can use the three grounds mentioned in my post #3 ONLY if they apply!
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                Comment

                Latest Activity

                Collapse

                • Reply to Gas Leak
                  by Bobssy
                  The plumber tried to get access the following day but they wouldn't respond and only got access about 3/4 days later....
                  02-06-2020, 13:52 PM
                • Gas Leak
                  by Bobssy
                  Hi,

                  Can someone help with this please?

                  I have a tenant that gave their notice and during the notice they discovered a gas Leak. When I got someone to go down and look the property was empty.

                  Now they are claiming they want the last 12 days rent returned as they...
                  02-06-2020, 10:26 AM
                • Reply to Gas Leak
                  by royw
                  How long did it take for someone to get there after it was reported? Just wondering if they're trying it on. Assuming they had furniture to move it rakes a little time to organise.
                  02-06-2020, 13:41 PM
                • Reply to Getting cheaper rent
                  by LandlordJ
                  Good for you, that's a great result. Don't ask don't get....
                  02-06-2020, 12:34 PM
                • Getting cheaper rent
                  by JoshyT
                  I rent right now and want to maintain a rolling deal or 6 month tops but with lower rent circa 30% off. What the best way to go about this? I'm not looking for a moral/ethics conversation just from experience of those on either end of that kind of negoation what can work. I am the perfect tenant who...
                  19-04-2020, 21:14 PM
                • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                  by LandlordJ
                  With 5+ months rent o/s, your priority should be to get them out asap.

                  With all due respect, I do not think you are equipped to take it forward in a manner that will give you what you need within a reasonable period. I would also recommend that you instruct a professional to carry out an...
                  02-06-2020, 12:29 PM
                • Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                  by Borischelski
                  I wonder if I could trouble someone for advice, having recently become a Landlord for the first time ?


                  BACKGROUND
                  A year ago I inherited a small 1970s one bedroom flat in Birmingham.


                  The flat was originally heated with a couple of electric bar heaters....
                  02-06-2020, 09:37 AM
                • Reply to Gas Leak
                  by Bobssy
                  The supply was cut off immediately by the suppliera and soon as I was notified I responded with getting someone out to investigate.

                  To be honest, the money isn't really the issue. I'm just annoyed at how things were done.

                  Thanks for your input
                  02-06-2020, 11:22 AM
                • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
                  by jpkeates
                  The guidance says that preparing a property for letting is fine.
                  02-06-2020, 10:45 AM
                • Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
                  by DJVera
                  Hi all - I'm new to this so apologies if this (or similar) has been dealt with somewhere else!
                  I own a property in the south west but currently live in London. I've been renting the property out privately. My last tenant moved out in January 2020 and I was planning to get quite a bit of (much needed)
                  ...
                  01-06-2020, 13:38 PM
                Working...
                X